4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Maxima Noice when shifting and releasing clutch

Old 05-04-2014, 06:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

97 Maxima Noice when shifting and releasing clutch

Hey everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my thread.. I know this is nothing major but its something worn and I don't know what it is... any help would be a solid for sure! I have a 97 max se 150k miles on body. I have records from last owner I think trans was replaced 40 k mile ago or rebuilt not sure there kinda worn and fading.. any way the car drives excellent and I changed the clutch to a XTD 2nd stage clutch keeping existing fly wheel.. so that works fine, the issue is when I want to release the clutch quickly lets say from already moving gear 1 or 2 definitely before 60mph and before 4th gear for sure I release the clutch quickly and the car makes sort of clunky noises but its definitely not effecting the actual transmission gears... I think I would guess its some linkage from the shifter and the actual trans ... any input??? SECOND THING I just installed Many items on this maxima everyone's going to love this final product its being dropped off for paint Monday should be back wed or Thursday.. I have documented all changes with pictures over the process including the CL Posting pictures from the old owner who had it sitting for TWO YEARS!! the pictures looked HORRIFIC but this being my second maxima I knew I could repair this one. Tomorrow is the day all the work I've done finally pays off where people around will definitely be checking out her sexy new body rather than noticing whatever was being worked on at the time... a complete sanding, repair of minor dings and factory pearl paint job done by a top auto body and paint professional, ill plug them after we see how it ends up... SO I have all day I want to figure out this noise and some kind of whining noise not squealing noise and its not power steering not belts they are new and they are tight .. not belt tensioner pulley so what yall thinking about that damn notice seems to go away after 10 min of driving
Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Kevlo for President

whining noise could be the trans bearings, clunking could be the motor mounts.

record the noise
Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have to do an audio clip

IM getting angry because the noise doesn't last long enough for me to make it to a shop that knows what they are hearing.... I hate that noise and it will conveniently start when a hot girl is walking by or driving next to me....

check out the my car posting information I think its pretty accurate. what do you think?

http://forums.maxima.org/member.php?u=164411
Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

additional info

forgot the wine noise is not when moving its more when before you move so I figure its part of the belt line just not sure what part yet
Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by iPhixApple.com
forgot the wine noise is not when moving its more when before you move so I figure its part of the belt line just not sure what part yet
I had a strange noise that sounded belt related (in the beginning) when the rubber part of crankshaft pulley started to separate. I could see the crankshaft part spin faster than the outer belt contact area when running the AC and revving the engine. If the crankshaft pulley is the problem, it will get worse sooner than later.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 PM

Here's a picture of the crankshaft pulley outer belt area after it separated from the main crankshaft part.

Name:  Crank_Pulley_Sep_zps4e045faa.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  726.1 KB