4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

It's a very sad day...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:09 AM

It's a very sad day...

Yesterday afternoon, my life changed not for the good. While I was driving my 98 Max in the farthest right lane on the interstate, some careless coward drove his POS Taurus into my lane as I approached my exit. I reacted defensively and moved over onto the snow-covered shoulder, lost traction and struck an abandoned minivan parked on the same shoulder 30 yards ahead. I attempted to move back onto the road bed and turned the wheel gingerly but to no avail. My max struck the rear corner of the van's bumper t-boning my drivers rear door at around 60 mph.

Suffice it to say, the A-hole didn't stop and escaped unscathed. I, on the other hand, feel as I lost one of my children. The front air bags did deploy and saved me from major injury. Just a bloody nose from the airbag. But my daily driver is a complete loss.

To make matters worse, I just installed new pirelli tires 2 months ago, as well as a new remote car starter. A few months ago, I installed a new engine starter and replaced all 4 rotors and brake pads.

I bought this rust free, 1 owner Maxima over 2 years ago from a dealer with only 80K miles on the clock. Yesterday, it had 123,000. This was perhaps my favorite car of all the cars I've owned in my 23 years of driving. It was predictable, fun to drive. My 4th gen was easy to work on and service in my own garage. And thanks to this forum, I learned so much about these 4th gens. I adored my VQ30 for it's balance of power, performance, and reliability. I only paid $2700 for it but it was worth so much more to me.

Now, my wife doesn't want me to buy another 4th gen as they are all approaching 20 years of service. But I really, REALLY want another.

Because I only had Personal liability/property damage (PLPD) coverage, I won't have a claim. In fact I still have to pay the towing company/recovery yard $300 for towing it.

Now I'm asking for advice from other members, do I pay the $300 or just walk away from it? I have reconditioned 5th generation 6 spoke rims on the new Pirelli tires. My aftermarket double din radio body is still in the vehicle along with my xm satellite receiver and hands-free mic running up the A-pillar. (I took the face unit). Also, about 10 minutes after the accident, I noticed the engine was still running. There was no damage to the engine compartment or fuel lines/fuel tank. I had to remove the keys from the ignition to stop the engine. So the engine/trans are salvageable.

Will the towing/recovery yard allow me remove the wheels and radio head unit if I go there and pay the towing fee?

So, what do I do now? walk away? or pay the $300 and have it towed to a scrap yard? Will a scrap yard pay me anything for it without wheels and radio? Again, engine was purring before I shut it off.

...Very confused and upset in Detroit.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:19 AM

Really sorry to hear that, that just sucks. Insurance is different in the states but if you pay the $300 couldn't you take it back and part it out? I say don't listen to the wife and buy another Maxima that's better than this one, it may be hard but I'm sure you'll come across one.

Again, sorry to hear this happened to you.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by busterbrown1
Now, my wife doesn't want me to buy another 4th gen as they are all approaching 20 years of service. But I really, REALLY want another.
Wife makes a good point

I have reconditioned 5th generation 6 spoke rims on the new Pirelli tires. My aftermarket double din radio body is still in the vehicle along with my xm satellite receiver and hands-free mic running up the A-pillar. (I took the face unit). Also, about 10 minutes after the accident, I noticed the engine was still running. There was no damage to the engine compartment or fuel lines/fuel tank. I had to remove the keys from the ignition to stop the engine. So the engine/trans are salvageable.
If you have a place to store the car and a place to part it out tow it!!!!

Will a scrap yard pay me anything for it without wheels and radio? Again, engine was purring before I shut it off.
I'm from Canada and here a junk yard will give you some money for a scrap car... Not a lot though

Will the towing/recovery yard allow me remove the wheels and radio head unit if I go there and pay the towing fee?
I highly doubt they would let you work in their yard.

The front air bags did deploy and saved me from major injury. Just a bloody nose from the airbag. But my daily driver is a complete loss.
+1. Usually if air bag deploys insurance company will write it off due to high replacement costs

Sounds like if you can use your garage or something that car is worth parting out... Remote starter, brakes, tires, engine parts, interior (maybe?) etc

Last edited by george__; 01-08-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jprocs24
Really sorry to hear that, that just sucks. Insurance is different in the states but if you pay the $300 couldn't you take it back and part it out? I say don't listen to the wife and buy another Maxima that's better than this one, it may be hard but I'm sure you'll come across one.

Again, sorry to hear this happened to you.
Thanks for the comments. I'd like to look another low mileage 4th gen but it seems like most people are price gouging on Autotrader, both dealers and private parties. Seems like they know what I already know. Dealer near me is selling a 70K mileage one in great condition for $7,000. Seriously??? Other cars I've seen with 100K+ miles are pricing around $5K.

As far as what to do with my dead child, I don't have the room as my house to part it out. Plus, it's at the recovery lot near the accident scene approximately 40 miles away. I don't know how I could swallow the towing charge.

I don't know how scrap yards work in terms of paying for cars. There are 2 within 5 miles of the recovery yard. I could have it towed there. Would they give me anything for the wreck with a working engine/trans?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 AM

^
That sucks man
Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 AM

I'm just wondering if it's in my best interest just to sign over the title to the recovery / towing company in trade for the towing fees? The wheels and tires are probably worth $400. Tire new were $700 and they only have 1500 miles on them. Wheels are reconditioned 5th gens that are in great shape. Radio head unit may get me $100. The engine and trans are probably worth the most.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:42 AM

I say pay the fee and get it back, have any friends that would let you store it somewhere?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:48 AM

I say pay the fee and get it back, have any friends that would let you store it somewhere?
I wish I knew someone in that area...but it's located south of detroit and I live in the northern suburbs. I'm upset that that engine/powertrain will be scraped along with the car. This engine had low miles, serviced impeccably, didn't burn a drop of oil, seals were dry, and it purred. Even after the accident.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 AM

If it comes down to it, pay the towing fees and put her on the front lawn until you can figure something out. Can't let it go this way, save it.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:02 AM

If it comes down to it, pay the towing fees and put her on the front lawn until you can figure something out. Can't let it go this way, save it.
My township would not allow this. My neighbors, with their pretentious attitudes, would call my town hall as soon as I put it on blocks. I live in suburbia. I don't want to honor her death by salvage yard. I would rather give her away to a member who could use the power train. Would it be fair to trade the title for payment in full of the towing fee to anyone interested in a very low mileage 4th gen Maxima? It would probably have to be a local member. And all the other components that were replaced over the last 2.5 years of ownership would be a big score for a 4th gen owner.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:06 AM

I'm just sick thinking about her demise in a yard. I can't believe I could ever feel this way about any vehicle.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:14 AM

I'm just sick thinking about her demise in a yard. I can't believe I could ever feel this way about any vehicle.
You'll find something else

Another Buick??

Last edited by george__; 01-08-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by george__
You'll find something else

Another Buick??
I only have my Buick Rainier, the Regal was a lease and in my eyes, couldn't ever replace the Max. My wife and I discussed buying a 2007-2009 Buick Lacrosse/Lucerne as a comfortable daily driver as I put on 25K highway miles per year. GM's 3.9l/3.8 liter engines have great fan fare. But they'll never be a VQ30.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man I feel your pain

Talk to a few salvage yards. Maybe one of them will make a deal with you.
Go to car-part.com and make like your searching for a new part for your car. The list of salvage yards near you gives you a start on who to call.

You might be able to strike a deal, like you take the radio, rims and tires, remote starter, and they keep and profit off of the motor, tranny and interior. Obviously the motor and tranny are the most valuable parts of the car. If they need convincing, show them all your service receipts, emphasize the 123K miles on the odo, and last but not least, show them an autotrader listing for how much good 4th gens are going for.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:58 AM

That sucks. Do you have AAA? Can you have the car towed and parks on the street so you can take out the wheels and pull the head unit then have junk yard towed the car away. I would get a 2003 5th gen max with 3.5 VQ engine.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
I would get a 2003 5th gen max with 3.5 VQ engine.
Oil burner woes though
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

:
Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 AM

don't listen to the wife, u know how girls are with old cars, they like to go buy new cars and waste $, new cars are the worst thing anyone can do..you should know why.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM

My township would not allow this. My neighbors, with their pretentious attitudes, would call my town hall as soon as I put it on blocks. I live in suburbia. I don't want to honor her death by salvage yard. I would rather give her away to a member who could use the power train. Would it be fair to trade the title for payment in full of the towing fee to anyone interested in a very low mileage 4th gen Maxima? It would probably have to be a local member. And all the other components that were replaced over the last 2.5 years of ownership would be a big score for a 4th gen owner.
Hi busterbrown... I live in southern Michigan and just joined the forum after purchasing the 2nd Maxima of my life... a 1998 SE by coincidence! (First one was a 1981.) Your comment about giving it away is very tempting as I am looking for new wheels to replace the steels on mine, and I have the space to keep a parts car to support mine since I do all my own mechanic work if possible.

What I need to do is figure out how much it would cost to get it to my house near Sturgis... I could rent a car hauler dolly and tow it with my truck, I guess.

(edit) Didn't see in the thread if it's AT or MT, I have a stick.

Last edited by JEB Davis; 01-08-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:29 PM

dude, you should at least get all the money for your parts back from whomever gets your max. *** giving it to a salvage yard or letting it go for the tow fee. hell no, if that were me, my neighbors could kiss my a$$.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 AM

Per recovery yard, new fees are $510. F#$king rapists!!! I visited 3 salvage yards yesterday. $250 is the best offer with me only claiming the tires. I would have to forgo the wheels. I did strike a deal with the recovery yard in that fees would be dropped to $100 if I signed over the title to them. I would't get tires or rims but I can remove the head unit and keep it.

This is probably my best option so far. Considering they charge $40 per day storage, I need to have it done by end of business today.

If anyone LOCAL wants to pay the recovery yard fee for me, I'll sign the title over to them. All I ask for is the radio head unit.

This entire process has given me one big migraine. And what makes it hurt even more is the fact that these recovery/towing yards prey on the misfortunes of innocent parties. As they say, karma is a *****.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:22 PM

Wish I could have helped you out. That really is a raw deal for you.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM

This will be the last time I will ever see her. So sad...

The wheels and tires that I had to leave behind:
Old 01-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Sorry this happened.

I hope you and everyone reading this takes away a valuable lesson from this. Never, ever let them tow your car to a yard. Once it's there, kiss it goodbye as the fees pile up so fast it's ridiculous.

You have a garage and a driveway. Regardless of my neighbors etc, I would have had it towed home and taken what I wanted from the car. Then call the scrapyards...you'd still get the same $300 for it. For 2 or 3 days, I would have taken the heat/flack from your neighbors for leaving it on the driveway.

When my gf was T-boned and her car was totaled, I had it towed to my house from the scene of the accident. I took out the stereo and a few other mods, and all her personal belongings. Insurance came and picked up the car a few days later free of charge.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Take the MAF out before let junk yard tow her away, MAF worth a lot of money.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:22 PM

sucks to see that... but It looks like you live in a very cold area, which I believe alot of accidents happen.. or am i wrong? but sadly you should of towed it to your house.. I would buy another 4th gen if u can, good condition low miles maybe?

how many miles did urs have?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 PM

I feel your pain and so sorry you have to go thru this.
Have you tried perhaps renting an outdoor car storage place? (Where people store their RV and cars)...or maybe strike a deal with a local garage...Hate to see it go.

Also, if you part-out the car, I'm sure you can make it pass $700 very easily (maf, sensors,fuel pressure,injectors,coils!!,etc,etc)
Seats are worth $$$...rip it all out before scrap yard!

Last edited by Justaguy; 01-11-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 AM

sorry to hear wish you were closer i am selling my 4th gen in great shape low miles 80 thousand miles, and by the way i know how you feel about the car i dont want to sell my car its been the best car i have owned but my wife bought another newer maxima and cant have two cars .
Old 01-20-2015, 12:27 PM

I know tha feeling I had a head-on collision on Sept 14 in my buddy's 98 Maxima in which I had fixed close to $2000 in parts and Labor....It was driving really nice...I happened to take it on a nice Sunday drive so it wouldn't just set in my driveway...I wasn't at fault but I was injuried and the pain hit me the following day! She dislocated a rib or 2 out of my spine, plus 4 herniated disk....But I alive and still having that nightmare!