4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to avoid ripoff mechanics and mis-diagnosis 101?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 PM

How to avoid ripoff mechanics and mis-diagnosis 101?

So here I am again, same scenario, different ****. On the road traveling, when car trouble showed up. Vibrations like something is about to fail at any moment. I had to drive that way for 400 miles before I got to my destination.

So, new to town...I drive along "auto repair row" looking for someone to figure out and FIX the issue. I'm thinking it's my tie rod about to fail, since before I left town for my alignment prior to hitting the road, my alignment shop Told me it was loose and they couldn't align until it was fixed. Well, I find an independent tire shop in another city that looks good, swing in and they tell me: "everything is fine, they lied to you." So instead they did alignment, a balance, and sent me off. $70 spent

Well, 80 miles down the road....car starts shaking violently again. I turn back around and take it back the next day. Further inspection with me looking while my car is 6 feet in the air shows BAD MOTOR MOUNTS. the engine is just knocking around back and forth. $310 spent on 2, still 1 to replace at $165. That will have to wait.

I'm just telling myself, this is bull****. This is not the first time it's happened either. It's happened 2 other times: someone either misdiagnosis, doesn't do the whole job, and you end up going right back to them only to be made like you did something wrong. And what's worse, I've been hundreds of miles from home each time, and not fixing the right component would leave me stranded, having to pay AGAIN for proper repair....assuming I even have the money for a second repair. Everytime this happens, I'm arguing, getting stressed, BEGGING them to look at it again and fix it right.

Besides working on everything myself which isn't always practical, or just sticking to brand new leased vehicles, also not practical, what would be some suggestions to look out for? I'm considering sticking only to national chains or Napa certified facilities, but aren't those usually more expensive? There's also no guarantee they'll do it right either....like the place that changed my battery instead of my alternator...and I barely got it back to them before the battery drained out.

Let's write a book! That said, I think being a mechanic would be the hardest job in the world. Car can't tell you what's wrong with it, and every mechanic shop I've been to, from Firestone to the hole in the wall, a customer is screaming down the phone at the guy for either parts or labor.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM

Firestone seems to need to fix something extra every time I go get new tires, even when I have no signs of trouble...

If anything, a way to avoid getting ripped off for sure is to have them diagnose trouble, then buy the parts that need to be replaced on your own, and have someone put them in. Also request that they give the old parts back to you. They are technically yours after all. I guess this would be the best way to approach the situation in which you don't know what is wrong so that they don't try to sell you into unnecessary repairs on purpose.

Accidents don't always happen close to home, but when you're near home, definitely try to get some connections. Sometimes it comes down to who you know. I no longer go to chains unless I absolutely have no other choice. Hole in the wall places aren't always great, but if you find a good one, you might of struck gold. I was able to find a mechanic in my church community who will happily do all kinds of work for me at solid prices. My body shop (hole in the wall), is great a great source for legitimate references too. Might be worth searching for. Those little guys can be really competitive and ready to do good work for low rates to make some cash, and stay alive. I like going into a place that isn't littered with sale signs and doesn't have coupons, but rather has some good experience behind it and guys who work with you and get right to the point, not those who work around you and hand you the bill after a list of unexplained options.

Last edited by Cotozic; 01-12-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:15 AM

On my phone, so can't quote. But the part about buying parts myself and keeping the old is something I was really wanting to do for awhile ...and committed to it for awhile...but then ran into mechanics who either won't allow customers to buy parts, or won't warranty the labor if they do.

Now...that part I understand to an extent, but being that I've run the gamut on inferior parts, I know the only ones I get are going to be in the beck arnley, denso, autocraft or similar quality. But many customers probably look for the cheap Chinese knockoffs lol.

But, my local mechanic works out his garage and I always buy the parts, never had trouble. I haven't seen him in awhile because I haven't had problems in awhile...

I recall one place was recommending me $200+ for hood struts and assembly. I bought for $24/each and put them on in minutes. Biggest ripoff ever.amazes me how some places stay in business and open new shops in every neighborhood.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 AM

I use firestone all the time, but only for alignment and inspection, last month I brought my car to them for inspection, they told me that emission passed, but I have an exhaust leak at the joint between muffler and B-pipe which failed safety inspection, and also told me that sway bar links need to be replaced, they quoted me $588 for replacing muffler (which is badly rusted), B-pipe and sway bar links for both parts and labor, which is not bad. But I told them I will do that myself and bring car back for re-inspection within 14 days.

I went to autonzone, bought new muffler and B-pipe, sway bar links, I did the job myself, it wasn't easy mainly because I have to fight 2 seized and snapped bolts but that is another story to tell. While I was under there, I noticed that my driver side CV boot was badly torn, and driver side inner tie rod boot also torn in half, how come they didn't find out that? So I have to replace both. After I fixed everything and brought back for re-inspection, they passed me, then I saw on the paper work, they noted that I replaced driver side axle and inner tie rod boot.

Last edited by theWalkinator; 01-13-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 AM

I brought my max to a Firestone to get aligned because the steering wheel was crooked. (Note: I just got this car) Guy said my inner tie rod on the passenger side was bad. No problem. I'll replace it myself and take it back. A week later I look under the car and notice my a arm nut is completely missing causing my steering wheel to be crooked. Why didn't he see that?!? Nuts. I'm very iffy about taking my cars to places. Hell I'll stand right there while they press in hub bearing assemblies for me. I don't trust anyone. If I can't do it myself I'm standing right there watching or tell them to show me.
Another story I have is i had a 94 thunderbird lx v8. Actually a pretty nice car. Well I ran over a nail and it was a big one. I took the nail out and tried plugging it and caused another hole right next to it. So I take it to a local tire place and say "I need a tire parched. Not plugged." Guy comes back in and says "there's a leak in the sidewalk. Not repairable." Ha. Bull ****. It was in a tread. So I say "show me." He takes me out there and he hasn't even taken the tire off the car or sprayed it down with soapy water to find the leak. So I look him in the eye and say again "show me" he kinda looks puzzled and says "well it was right here" sprays water on it. Nothing. I laugh and tell him to patch the tire. I stood there the whole time watching. Guess he thought id just fork over 260 dollars for a tire. Lol. Side note. These tires looked brand new.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 AM

What I do always from mechanics is to give me back old parts, otherwise I'm not going to pay.
another thing is the "Show me" is a really good example to see if they're really telling the truth or not.

When paying someone to do somthing, I like to see that they actually did it, what happens with most people with cars if they want to fix somthing they just listen to the mechanic and say "OK OK yeah thats fine" and end up with a bill that is probably much more than the truth. Ex: would of been $100 for repair but since they brought up all this random crap then customer says ok without NO research or seeing it pysically.. they charge $300.

I went to get my oil change one time, and I had almost no coolant in the container, I told them "Show me you refill the coolant please" I look at them refill the coolant in the container and said "thank you now I know you did it"

believe it or not If i didn't tell them if i wanted to see, they probably wouldn't refill it.. happened to me before. but this was at another place.

Besides how many miles u have on your maxi 97 GXE?

Last edited by JoshG; 01-13-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 PM

Ask the mechanic to check the condition of a vital part (unrelated to what you brought your car in for) that you know 100% is fine. Often, not always, based on their answer you can tell if they are going to try and bend you over.