4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

APC Wire Harness and Fuel Filter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 10:19 PM

APC Wire Harness and Fuel Filter Installation

Hi all,

I just joined this great group about a while ago, and now I am in the middle of trying some things that I learned from the forum.

I did the turn signal rewire, install the Stillen Air Intake and just got the APC Wire Harness and 300ZX fuel filter. I was trying to remove the old fuel fiter, read everything from the forum, but I was having a hard time to unplug the filter from the bottom hose. Mann... I got bruises all over my hands...

Then, I decided to put back the original fuel fiter and move on to the harness. My old harness is melted, bought the replacement, connected the cables, install and the APC wire harness...and whoaa....It did not work......

Now I just plug in the stock headlights into the (new) 9004 harness and put the APC wire harness aside. Quite frankly, I heard the relay sounds "click-click" whenever I tried to switch on the headlight and/or high beam but they don't light at all.....

Another thing, where do you put the ground wire from the APC Wire Harness? I put them into the holes on the front chassis, but perhaps they should have been screwed to those two big screws on the fender.

Any ideas???? Any inputs?

Old 01-24-2002, 11:32 PM

for the apc harness...they have to be grounded really well...u need to screw them into part of the metal...an unpainted area also
Old 01-25-2002, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Llfe
for the apc harness...they have to be grounded really well...u need to screw them into part of the metal...an unpainted area also
The clicking sound you hear is normal from the relays. Make sure you have a good ground. Try to ground it to the screw at the fender. Since you installed the stillen intake you should have taken off the air box and underneath the stock airbox are some good places for grounds too.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:07 AM

Yeah try the two screws on each side of the fender for grounds.

Cheston has a great write up on his site here http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/im...essinstall.jpg

good luck
Old 01-25-2002, 08:06 AM

I did get the Cheston's diagram printed...

....and yes, perhaps I should REALLY ground the cables, bare to the metal...

Taking out the stock airbox is really a pain, since I have a 105k Maxima (I just bought it), and all the nuts have been there forever. All body surfaces in the engine bay is still intact though, no metal/rust showing just yet.

I will try again tonight to unscrew those two fender screws and reattach the connection. I never knew the APC is so picky about grounding.....

Thanks guys!!!! Really appreciate your help. I wish there is someone around Milwaukee are who has a Max as well (part of the org, that is).
Old 01-25-2002, 11:07 AM

If you have ABS like I do, replacing the fuel filter is a 2-man job. Jack the car up and put it on jack stands. Have your helper crawl underneath. Have him hold the filter while you remove the top hose from above, then have him hold the lower hose while you twist the filter off.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:25 AM

I don't have ABS......but..

...this is my first time have to bend my back for 30 minutes or so while balancing my weight. I know I could do better than this, but I am about 6'3" and working on a sedan is requires more bending than working on a Toyota Kijang (something like a minibus/van) years ago.....

Thanks for the reply though....=)... I might want to upgrade the suspension really soon (not enough $$$ just yet).
Old 01-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pull the old fuel filter out of the bottom of the engine bay...swap to new filter below car and route new filter assy back up thru engine bay.

Be sure to follow all dir about removing fuse and running all fuel out of pump.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:21 PM

Did it....all of it...

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Pull the old fuel filter out of the bottom of the engine bay...swap to new filter below car and route new filter assy back up thru engine bay.

Yes...if I could only remove the fuel filter w/ hose from the bottom nozzle...=). Wonder if a WD-40 would help next time. Bought a 1 ft. hose too, exactly to reroute it "upstairs".

Be sure to follow all dir about removing fuse and running all fuel out of pump.
Done that. I have two service manuals (factory 97 and Haynes) plus hours of browsing the Maxima.org. LOL!!

Now, about those APC wire harness, how do I know if I get a defective harness?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:13 PM
KCTYPHOON

lemme tell u somethin... changing that filter is a friggin nightmare.. why nissan couldnt put and extra 6 inches of hose is beyond me. never again will i change that thing..

Old 01-26-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
lemme tell u somethin... changing that filter is a friggin nightmare.. why nissan couldnt put and extra 6 inches of hose is beyond me. never again will i change that thing..
Hehehe...=)..... you are right...=).. I need more exercise on "bending"....and perhaps it might help me to strecth before doing any work inside the engine bay....
Old 01-27-2002, 10:45 AM

I just replaced the fuel filter on my GF's 240SX last night and its pretty much the same as the Maxima. We ended up removing the bracket that holds the fuel filter. that gives you more space to work in the hole. Also, you have too much fuel pressure which is why you're not able to remove the hose. You're going to have to cranck the car a couple of more times to clear the pressure. Also, make sure to use rags to help you remove and to cover the engine, 'cause there is a lot of fuel left in there and it will go everywhere.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:58 PM

You can buy a tool just for the fuel filter i saw 1 at the dealership this past summer when i had mine changed wished i asked where he got it and price
Old 01-27-2002, 06:39 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

aight, i just got my apc wire harness today will try the install tomorrow.. the guy i got it from also reccomended I use the bare metal plates on the side of the frame cross member thing that is in the front of the engine bay near the headlights. There is a load of wires, I need to think of a place to hide it, or tie it up in there. Doesn't sound bad.

Now, the fuel filter, that was easy for me, I don't have ABS in my ghey GXE tho, it wasn't too hard to get to, just the fuel line hose is annoying. I feel for the ABS people, I haven't seen how the unit is in the engine bay but I bet it doesn't leave a lot of room since everyone is all ****ed about it lol
Old 01-27-2002, 07:30 PM

Fuel Filter was a beotch!

I spent about 1 and a hlaf hours today cleaning my throttle body and changing my fuel filter. Cleaning the TB was easy as pie, but the fuel filter was impossible to get to. I found that the easiest way to remove it, is to go underneath the car after the TOP hose is removed and work from there. I replaced it with the regular Maxima Fuel Filter, Would putting on a 300zx fuel filter work and what are it's advantages?
Old 01-27-2002, 08:10 PM

I changed my fuel filter in less than 30 mins That's the one plus to not having ABS. The only theoretical benefit to the 300ZX fuel filter is the fact that it is larger and therefore has more surface area to filter. The filter really is almost twice as big, but I decided to use the Maxima filter rather than hoping the Z filter would last twice as long. If you have ABS and it's a pain to change the fuel filter you may want to just go with the Z filter.
-hype
Old 01-27-2002, 08:26 PM

I changed my filter in less than 30 mins. the trick is, after disconnecting the upper hose, you should pull the filter out of the bracket that holds in place, just let it lay on the side than you turn it side ways and lower-bracket screw will be visible from top. lower hose has some slack in it to do this. You need to remove a hose from the resonator so that you have more room to operate. well, too late for you