4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP** New AMSOIL ATF Brown/Black in Bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:15 PM

HELP** New AMSOIL ATF Brown/Black in Bottle?

Hey guys,
I just bought 5 QTS of AMSOIL Multi-vehicle ATF, and 2 out of the 5 qts were a dark brown color instead of Cherry/Red. Is this normal? I talked to the dealer, and he said that it's all brand new from the same case (I trust him, he's my Uncle). Has this happened to anyone before? Also, It smells different from motor oil.

Last edited by lrb6805; 06-04-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by lrb6805
Hey guys,
I just bought 5 QTS of AMSOIL Multi-vehicle ATF, and 2 out of the 5 qts were a dark brown color instead of Cherry/Red. Is this normal? I talked to the dealer, and he said that it's all brand new from the same case (I trust him, he's my Uncle). Has this happened to anyone before? Also, It smells different from motor oil.
If you're unhappy or unsure return it ... simple as that.

And for the record, ATF should smell different than motor oil. It should look, feel and taste different too.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I've been dealing with AMSOIL for about 30 yrs; I've used AMSOIL ATF in every vehicle I've owned and in the many customer's cars I service; and I sell a lot of it to members on this site. AMSOIL ATF is always cherry red as you state.

Has your uncle had this oil for long, or did he just get it from the product center? If he's had it for a while, how long and where did he store it? Oil like this should remain suitable for use for a few years if stored properly. You wouldn't have received old product from the Dallas Product Center as they have a very high turn-over (and that's why when I ship to our members I always have product shipped directly from the regional product centers)

Check the codes on the bottle (front of the bottle at the bottom) to see if their from the same lot...they should be if they came out of the same box. The box should also have a lot number on it which should match the bottles.

Since your uncle is a Dealer, he should know that he can contact AMSOIL Tech Services and solicit their opinion on it. If you have a sample of the oil, they will probably want you to return it for examination/analysis. Be sure to get the codes from the bottles and the box (or better yet save them) as AMSOIL will need that info. They will most likely want you to submit a Tech Services Request form to describe your concern/question. If he doesn't have the form or needs the telephone number for Tech Services, drop me a PM and I will send it to you.

I believe what you're saying, but it doesn't make sense. Coming from the same box, that oil had to come from the same lot. I can also assure you that AMSOIL has the absolute highest production standards in the industry and raw materials and the finished products are tested and retested before being released. A quality escape is extremely, extremely unlikely.

Please let me know if your uncle needs any guidance on how to proceed, but I highly recommend he consult with AMSOIL Tech Services.

After this is resolved, please send me a PM and let me know the results...

Thanks...

Last edited by talkinghorse; 06-05-2015 at 07:28 AM.