4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bose speaker blown i think!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 07:15 AM

bose speaker blown i think!

I have a 1995 GLE and i baught it with a bose audio system, and it pumps. And the other day i went to go turn it up (and i always have the bass up) and it was rattling really bad! And it wasnt the door or anything like that, it was inside the speaker cover. So it hasto be the speaker. What should i do? I couldny find a way to pop off the cover, its the front left speaker so should pop it open and see what the problem is? If so can i order a new BOSE speaker? Thanx

Maxperformance
Old 01-28-2002, 11:04 AM

Re: bose speaker blown i think!

Originally posted by maxperformance
I have a 1995 GLE and i baught it with a bose audio system, and it pumps. And the other day i went to go turn it up (and i always have the bass up) and it was rattling really bad! And it wasnt the door or anything like that, it was inside the speaker cover. So it hasto be the speaker. What should i do? I couldny find a way to pop off the cover, its the front left speaker so should pop it open and see what the problem is? If so can i order a new BOSE speaker? Thanx

Maxperformance
This happened to one of my rear speakers too. It would rattle only sometimes too. Sounds like distorted bass but not all the time. Does this mean I need a new speaker?
Old 01-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was having a problem with my bose system a while back, I went to their website to get a phone # and contacted them. Bose told me that they can't help me and I would have to go through Nissan for any repairs and replacement parts.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:12 AM

I don't know why you would have the bass all the way up. The adjustment is for tone not for the amount of bass.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gjabo178
I don't know why you would have the bass all the way up. The adjustment is for tone not for the amount of bass.
I sometimes put the bass all the way up if its the right music and it makes it so much better. I rarely do it as I don't listen to that type of music often but I'm not doing any major damage to the speakers am I?
Old 01-28-2002, 11:44 AM

Bose's website explains a lot.
One thing I read that was interesting, is that there is some sort of cut-off that will not allow the speakers to distort. I haven't turned the volume up max to test this but I can make the speakers bottom out with the bass. It sounds like when you have a sub in too big of a sealed box or with a hole in it. The thing is the speakers can handle a decent amount of power and they can produce great sound, but because they are small they don't push much air, you don't feel the bass. That's half the reason why people put subwoofers in thier cars. So if I'm listening to rap and I want to play it loud as I can I have to turn the bass tone down otherwise I get bad results.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:02 PM

Re: bose speaker blown i think!

Originally posted by maxperformance

Maxperformance
My friend did the same thing to my car--pumped it up WAY too loud, and now the bass really suffers from the rear. Nonetheless, give Extreme Nissan a call (1-866-233-0334, ask for Robert or Beuford) and you can get 30% off OEM retail prices. My rears ran me about $175/each to replace w/ the discount. If you want to send it into Clarion (which will service the Bose speaker/amplifier unit and exchange you for a remanufactured unit, they'll do it for an exchange price of $120/each; contact Bose Corporation (www.bose.com) for Clarion's address)--the wait time is 3 weeks, though. Just something for you to think about.

As for your front speaker access problem, you will have to remove the front inside door panel to acess the speaker/amplifier unit. Do a search on teh website on how to do it--as there are many links on how this is done. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:30 PM

i Think ya'll need some amps, and they're a pretty penny!
Old 02-02-2002, 10:49 AM

BOSE wont help you with those radios cuz they are designed and made by Clarion. So its not a true BOSE system. still sounds great.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:39 AM
Kevlo for President

there is a BOSE home-theater place bout an hour away and i went there and u said that each speaker has this thing so if it can't handle it is will turn the bass or treble down automaticly