4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Serpentine belt screeching!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Serpentine belt screeching!!

So I've just recently replaced my alternator, but did not replace the belt as it looked okay from inspection. It was about a month ago and everything was running great. Nothing was out of whack and I thought it was cool. Well yesterday I'm at the gas station pumping gas and all of a sudden after I get back in my car to start itis; the car starts screeching and it will not stop at all. The power steering felt like it had gone out completely and starting the car up felt off. It felt like it was trying to turn a belt that was stuck or something. The sound doesn't stop no matter how long I keep the car on, and when I press the accelerator; it gets worse along with smoke coming from the belt. I tried tightening and loosening the belt but nothing worked. Is it my power steering pump completely out, or is it the pulley bearing is completely shot and is causing the noise? I really need help since I have to get up and running for work by tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 AM
JvG

Most likely the idler pulley bearing is shot. Replace the idler pulley.
They don't cost much.

Also, tighten the new pulley until it is barely possible to turn the belt 90 degrees at the widest point between two pulleys
Old 06-23-2016, 09:39 AM
JvG

How much fluid is in your power steering tank?

What color is it?

Which belt was smoking? Power steering or the serpentine belt?
Could also be that the power steering pump has seized due to no fluid or burnt fluid.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Most likely the idler pulley bearing is shot. Replace the idler pulley.
They don't cost much.

Also, tighten the new pulley until it is barely possible to turn the belt 90 degrees at the widest point between two pulleys
The power steering pump belt isn't tensioned by the idler pulley, the alternator/AC compressor belt is.

The power steering pump belt is tensioned with the power steering pump adjusting bolt and adjusting bracket assembly.

To the OP ... have you actually inspected the belts to confirm which one is destroying itself ... it it the power steering pump belt or is the alternator/AC compressor belt?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Turbobink
The power steering pump belt isn't tensioned by the idler pulley, the alternator/AC compressor belt is.

The power steering pump belt is tensioned with the power steering pump adjusting bolt and adjusting bracket assembly.

To the OP ... have you actually inspected the belts to confirm which one is destroying itself ... it it the power steering pump belt or is the alternator/AC compressor belt?
it's definitely the serpentine belt. Smoke coming off that. I have a feeling its the idler pulley itself because when i loosen it; it sits awkwardly and doesn't tighten on straight. Should i take the full assembly off and fix it from start to finish? How can i diagnose to make sure its not just that
Old 06-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
How much fluid is in your power steering tank?

What color is it?

Which belt was smoking? Power steering or the serpentine belt?
Could also be that the power steering pump has seized due to no fluid or burnt fluid.

If i replace the fluid; will this problem stop?
Old 06-23-2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jermaul_m_w
it's definitely the serpentine belt. Smoke coming off that. I have a feeling its the idler pulley itself because when i loosen it; it sits awkwardly and doesn't tighten on straight. Should i take the full assembly off and fix it from start to finish? How can i diagnose to make sure its not just that
I would go ahead replace the pulley ... not the entire tensioner/idler assembly, just the pulley.

Also replace the belt of course.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I would go ahead replace the pulley ... not the entire tensioner/idler assembly, just the pulley.

Also replace the belt of course.
Ive replaced both and now ive run into a problem where no matter how tight i tighten the idler pulley tensioner or the pulley nut itself; the belt is loose. VERY loose Am i doing something wrong?? I removed the Ac compressor so would i have to buy a shorter belt? If so what belt should i buy?

Last edited by Jermaul_m_w; 06-23-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:44 PM

Ive replaced both and now ive run into a problem where no matter how tight i tighten the idler pulley tensioner or the pulley nut itself; the belt is loose. VERY loose Am i doing something wrong?? I removed the Ac compressor so would i have to buy a shorter belt? If so what belt should i buy?
Did you loosen the idler pulley nut before tightening the tension rod? Newbie's often do the reverse when replacing the serpentine belt for the first time. Also don't over tighten the tension rod or you'll ruin the bearings on one of the pulleys. This page give a diagram along with torque specs

Old 06-23-2016, 03:49 PM

My 2 month old serpentine still screeches for 5 seconds during startup. That's due to I only tightened the tension rod to 25 in/lb. I recently replaced the AC compressor that had worn bearings on it's AC clutch pulley. I don't want those bearings wearing out again too soon so I'm playing it safe instead of sorry.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jholley
Did you loosen the idler pulley nut before tightening the tension rod? Newbie's often do the reverse when replacing the serpentine belt for the first time. Also don't over tighten the tension rod or you'll ruin the bearings on one of the pulleys. This page give a diagram along with torque specs

Have tried both but I feel like since i did an ac compressor removal, maybe the belt is too short now. Would you happen to know what belt i should by? Will this burn up my alternator since it will be a shorter belt? I had to cut the compressor hoses because of a mistake made when originally changing the alternator a couple months ago
Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Have tried both but I feel like since i did an ac compressor removal, maybe the belt is too short now. Would you happen to know what belt i should by? Will this burn up my alternator since it will be a shorter belt? I had to cut the compressor hoses because of a mistake made when originally changing the alternator a couple months ago
You'll need a 36" belt. Do a search on this forum for "AC bypass belt" and you'll get all the info needed. I had that belt on for 3 months and it didn't damage the alternator. Be careful when torquing that tension rod.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jholley
You'll need a 36" belt. Do a search on this forum for "AC bypass belt" and you'll get all the info needed. I had that belt on for 3 months and it didn't damage the alternator. Be careful when torquing that tension rod.
Went ahead and bought the belt and now my problem is fixed. I greatly appreciate your time as well as anybody else who helped.

another question if i may ask; the screeching has stopped but now my power steering is consistently groaning when in idle. It doesn't stop. Is the power steering pump out, or is it the fluid. The fluid is pretty low and old.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:34 AM

The fluid is pretty low and old.
It appears that you have likely answered your own question.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:27 AM
JvG

Low fluid might cause groaning.

What color is the fluid. This is important. Fluid should be red.
Brownish fluid should be changed out. Blackish fluid should be changed asap.

I have used the cheap dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid.

It is easy to dilute the fluid in the system by adding new fluid.

Get a turkey baster, empty out the resiovoir Add new atf. To the full line. Start car. Turn steering wheel from side to side, lock to lock a couple of times. Repeat process until fluid color looks close to new atf.

People change oil often, but hardly ever the power steering fluid and transmission fluid or trans oil.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG
Low fluid might cause groaning.

What color is the fluid. This is important. Fluid should be red.
Brownish fluid should be changed out. Blackish fluid should be changed asap.

I have used the cheap dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid.

It is easy to dilute the fluid in the system by adding new fluid.

Get a turkey baster, empty out the resiovoir Add new atf. To the full line. Start car. Turn steering wheel from side to side, lock to lock a couple of times. Repeat process until fluid color looks close to new atf.

People change oil often, but hardly ever the power steering fluid and transmission fluid or trans oil.

The fluid is pretty darkish brown/black so i definitely am going to change the fluid out asap. Thank you for your time