4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

constant power wire..(radio harness)

Old 09-11-2018, 11:12 AM

constant power wire..(radio harness)

My constant power wire has no voltage to the radio harness. I have had my switched wire jumped into it for a month now just to have the HU turn on and play. it has worked for that purpose but now it is time to get it right.

I know there are a million posts on BOSE radio this and that and questions about the fuses and fusible links. i have read most of them. most of them are unclear on the fusible link for my (1996) car.

some say, "fusible link marked "ACC"....i don't have one in the space they say it should be and one was never there as the terminals for the fuse are not there. is that the answer? was my fusible link box changed out from a different car?!? i'm not sure at this point.

so my question is this: on a 1996 (i have the I30 if it matters, which i doubt) how does that constant power wire trace back to the battery. what does it pass through?

i can tap the power for the aftermarket amp i just ran not long ago, but i would honestly rather not. i would rather what is supposed to work, work.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:49 PM

The constant 12v to the head unit comes from fuse #40 in the fuse block in the dashboard to the left of the steering column. Fuse #40 is a 7.5 amp fuse located in the top right most corner. In a Maxima, it is labeled "ELECTRONIC PARTS".

This fuse provides power to 6 other things besides the radio head unit, one of them being the power antenna. If the antenna goes up and down, the fuse is good.

The wire to the radio head unit is a solid pink color and comes from the fuse block terminal 2G direct without any intermediate connections. As stated, fuse #40 has 7 connections, each connection is a different color on a different fuse block terminal connection. Look at page 11 in the link at the bottom.

For the head unit wiring, see page 103. Page 103 is a worded description, page 104 shows the head unit connection. At the bottom of page 104 are representations of the electrical connectors. The head units uses 2 connectors labeled M44 and have a dashed line around them.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I30/1996/EL.pdf
Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 AM

thanks for the reply!

hmm, antenna does not go up and down but everything else seems to work in the car.

I already wired a kenwood unit and an amp in the trunk. ran all new speaker wires to front doors as well.
original bose did not work when i got the car. then i tested the power wire and it had no voltage.
i will replace fuse and see if it works, although it looks fine.
if it doesn't work i guess i'll just tap the amp power running from the battery.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:24 PM

The fact that you installed an aftermarket radio makes a world of difference as you need to do do custom wiring at the head unit. This allows for mistakes. Did you use a Metra or Scosche adaptor? You still have to do soldering but it makes the job easier.

Also, are you using the Bose speakers or did you replace them?