4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Connecting + and - battery terminals together?

Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 AM

Connecting + and - battery terminals together?

What does this do exactly? A forum member asked if I tried connecting my positive and negative battery terminals together for 2 minutes. I have an SES light showing P0174. I replaced the upstream O2 sensor and its been about 80 miles so far and the light is still on. Its been almost 200 miles since the light came on and there are still 3 systems showing NOT READY on my scanner.
I figured I would start a new thread because after searching the forum.. I can't find any mention of connecting battery terminals together in regards to an SES.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

For clarification, you should mention that your question pertains to what happens when the + and - terminals are disconnected from the battery and then touched together for 2 minutes. Otherwise, if the + and - terminals are still connected to the battery, sparks will fly if you bridged the terminals and all sorts of bad things may happen (ie fire) if left bridged.

I've never done this, but my guess is that nothing would happen.

I can say from experience, that if you left the battery disconnected for 24 hours, the CEL/SES will clear itself and the light will go off. Then, if the problem persists, the code will come back after you start the car or at some point while you're driving the car again.

Last edited by The Wizard; 01-04-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 AM
JvG

You could touch the terminals together for two minutes, or over night.

1. It will clear the codes.

2. It will trigger a not ready

You need to leave your terminals attached to the car. Drive a different route or speed than you have been. Perhaps the car has not experienced a particular set of running conditns which would clear the code.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
For clarification, you should mention that your question pertains to what happens when the + and - terminals are disconnected from the battery and then touched together for 2 minutes. Otherwise, if the + and - terminals are still connected to the battery, sparks will fly if you bridged the terminals and all sorts of bad things may happen (ie fire) if left bridged.

I've never done this, but my guess is that nothing would happen.
I can say from experience, that if you left the battery disconnected for 24 hours, the CEL/SES will clear itself and the light will go off. Then, if the problem persists, the code will come back after you start the car or at some point while you're driving the car again.
correcto, it does $hit, i did it and nada