4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

"Ignition switch"

Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 503
"Ignition switch"

'98 i30 - 123k Miles

I desire to replace my "ignition switch" re "as the alternator turns". "The switch" is 20 years old and the (now non-repeating) weird lights on the dash are not a sign of good things to come.

I've already replaced all the other bits. If the new alternator or new battery had dumped, each would still be dumped - but it drives super nice, w no drivability issues to note at all. I took it to work and back again today - no issues.

re: replacing that particular electrical part that's "hot all the time" - is this the correct part # below?

https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...,998_001,48750

Thanks
reallywildstuff is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,433
Yes, that is it.

Here is a photograph of the actual part -

DennisMik is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central AR
Posts: 2,968
I replaced the 98 model's switch a couple of years ago with an Intermotor. The 98 is my daughter's daily driver. She had an unexplained starting issue one day like the battery had died. So I decided the replace the switch since its not an uncommon failure item. No further problems with the new switch. I understand the switch works on other Nissan models. Don't be surprised if the new one has a tighter fit due to a new cable length. Not much price difference between Intermotor and OEM. I usually go with Intermotor, for select parts that I know, to get a better warranty and local exchange. Here's a picture of old and new switches below.



I stated moving from from Advance batteries to Interstate. I'm growing tired of 36 month replacement warranty batteries that are "programmed to fail" at 39 months.
I think the part number changed to US283 after I bought the one in the picture.

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-09-2019 at 09:23 AM.
CS_AR is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 AM
  #4  
Got Retrofit?
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 14,563
I bought a $10 one off eBay for my daily beater. Will check back soon once it’s in.
ChrisMan287 is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 503
I replaced this. I got the OEM part # 48750-1E411 from www.infinitipartsdeal.com for $29.19.

The under-column pic is of the old switch as installed - check out the burn marks on the white/red and green/black wires.

Side-by-side shot below that - the new one is _longer_, so there's just a little bit more cable to snug up inside the column cover when putting it back together.

This car has been running really well ever since I rebuilt the injectors - but it had seemed like just a very little bit doggy at idle, and even slightly more so in what we call "colder" weather down here. Not bad enough not to drive it.

After replacing this switch, however - wow much stronger and quicker starts, and much better throttle response - and I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up.

I wish I'd replaced this 20+ year old electrical switch when I first started with the alternator problems all that time ago.




reallywildstuff is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central AR
Posts: 2,968
Congratulations. I think I should replace the one on the 99 model just to keep from having to deal with a failed switch at some point.
CS_AR is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM
  #7  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,113
Originally Posted by CS_AR View Post
Congratulations. I think I should replace the one on the 99 model just to keep from having to deal with a failed switch at some point.
Long term owners of our cars recognize the wisdom of that statement.

Add the phrase "while you are in there anyway....:

So might as well replace well known iffy stuff when we get a chance to work on semi-related stuff.

Im thinking particularly about uim removal , fuel injectors, the egr, and other fluster clucks related to that.

Seems that our cars general weaknesses are well known. Oddly, the rest of the car is relatively trouble free.

JvG is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 07:33 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by CS_AR View Post
I replaced the 98 model's switch a couple of years ago with an Intermotor. The 98 is my daughter's daily driver. She had an unexplained starting issue one day like the battery had died. So I decided the replace the switch since its not an uncommon failure item. No further problems with the new switch. I understand the switch works on other Nissan models. Don't be surprised if the new one has a tighter fit due to a new cable length. Not much price difference between Intermotor and OEM. I usually go with Intermotor, for select parts that I know, to get a better warranty and local exchange. Here's a picture of old and new switches below.



I stated moving from from Advance batteries to Interstate. I'm growing tired of 36 month replacement warranty batteries that are "programmed to fail" at 39 months.
I think the part number changed to US283 after I bought the one in the picture.
LOL. I am using only interstate batteries, and have to replace them every 3.5 years ;-)
bvb_09 is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 03:11 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central AR
Posts: 2,968
Originally Posted by bvb_09 View Post
LOL. I am using only interstate batteries, and have to replace them every 3.5 years ;-)
NO NO NO. I don't want to hear that..
CS_AR is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 03:18 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central AR
Posts: 2,968
Originally Posted by JvG View Post

Seems that our cars general weaknesses are well known. Oddly, the rest of the car is relatively trouble free.
Yep.. The rubber accelerator pedal covers seem to last without issue.
CS_AR is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 439
From what I understand, there are only a couple of car battery manufacturers that supply all the car batteries. I know of Johnston Controls and Exide. I am not sure if there are any others. They produce all the car batteries and brand them for particular companies. Does anyone else know different? I guess we could do a whole thread on who manufactures all the auto batteries worldwide.
PH98I30 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
caseymaxima
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
8
07-23-2011 07:56 AM
BRETT65
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
5
09-02-2010 10:21 PM
DcMaN
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
2
06-03-2005 03:54 PM
Millwoodva
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
0
10-10-2004 12:57 PM
stang233
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
8
08-03-2004 12:59 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Ignition switch"


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.