Maxima R34 style Headlights a good buy? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Reload this Page >

Maxima R34 style Headlights a good buy?

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:04 PM

Are these a good buy as far as light output and style? Just curious if these are better than the oem ones with a 9004 bulb. Dont plan to retrofit but use an LED in them.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:16 AM

I think it is all the same material -- with or without the bulbs. One of the lamps leaks on mine. I think I found a way to install some clear permatex sealant fill in the gap. Otherwise you need to break them open to reseal them. I had to buy some high distance bulbs from NAPA to compensate for the poor low beams. The high beams I use are technically illegal but I only run them on country roads where there are no street lights or other cars to blind. Since history on the site was deleted past October of 2018, I can't find the part numbers. They are kind of a mess, but they look good.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Got Retrofit?

They look good but output is poor and so is fitment. You’re better off with stock headlights or OEM Cefiros but they take more modification to fit right.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
They look good but output is poor and so is fitment. You’re better off with stock headlights or OEM Cefiros but they take more modification to fit right.
Well stated Chris. I had to use a hacksaw and some tin snips in a couple of places on the tabs to get the lights to mount up on my 99 model. Don't plan on this being a smooth installation for a 97-99 model. I can't speak for 95-96.

We had a hard rain last night that would normally cause the passenger side light to take on water. Apparently, the clear permatex RTV treatment around the top seam took care of that leak because the lights are dry in the inside today. I'm glad because I was now looking forward to removing the light assemblies to reseal them. In fact, I bought a 2nd set of R34 lights to reseal with Morimoto the butyl and keep in reserve in the event these lights start giving me problems I can replace them.
One thing to watch out for with these lights is there are some paper tape seals over the small blub hole on the side. The paper likes to disintegrate and leave specks of white paint flecks inside the bezel that impossible to get out without separating the lens from the black plastic body. This this is really noticeable with the black background models. I think I can wet the paper seal with something like kerosene to make it easier to remove on the next set so it will release without leaving specks of white material inside the light.

If I remember correctly I spent something over $100 or more for NAPA "long lights" for low beam and the blue Xenon high beam lights to perform. It took a strange combination of bulbs to get something to works. I ended up soaking a lot more money into getting "the look" that it was most likely worth.

I recently purchased a set of stock looking Eagle Eyes to replace the stock lights on the 98 model GLE. I immediately applied the clear RTV around the seams since it looks like those seams would give trouble and leak like the R34s. Many of us here apply clear RTV around the seams on the clear or smoked corner lights to prevent leaks. I started using clear on the corner lights before I installed them a few years ago. So far it works.

I guess the bottom line is any non-OEM "value priced' replacement lights will require some attention to keep them from leaking. So you pay for it one way or another. Also, some don't mind "high maintenance" to get the look.

Last edited by CS_AR; 03-03-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR View Post
Well stated Chris. I had to use a hacksaw and some tin snips in a couple of places on the tabs to get the lights to mount up on my 99 model. Don't plan on this being a smooth installation for a 97-99 model. I can't speak for 95-96.

We had a hard rain last night that would normally cause the passenger side light to take on water. Apparently, the clear permatex RTV treatment around the top seam took care of that leak because the lights are dry in the inside today. I'm glad because I was now looking forward to removing the light assemblies to reseal them. In fact, I bought a 2nd set of R34 lights to reseal with Morimoto the butyl and keep in reserve in the event these lights start giving me problems I can replace them.
One thing to watch out for with these lights is there are some paper tape seals over the small blub hole on the side. The paper likes to disintegrate and leave specks of white paint flecks inside the bezel that impossible to get out without separating the lens from the black plastic body. This this is really noticeable with the black background models. I think I can wet the paper seal with something like kerosene to make it easier to remove on the next set so it will release without leaving specks of white material inside the light.

If I remember correctly I spent something over $100 or more for NAPA "long lights" for low beam and the blue Xenon high beam lights to perform. It took a strange combination of bulbs to get something to works. I ended up soaking a lot more money into getting "the look" that it was most likely worth.

I recently purchased a set of stock looking Eagle Eyes to replace the stock lights on the 98 model GLE. I immediately applied the clear RTV around the seams since it looks like those seams would give trouble and leak like the R34s. Many of us here apply clear RTV around the seams on the clear or smoked corner lights to prevent leaks. I started using clear on the corner lights before I installed them a few years ago. So far it works.

I guess the bottom line is any non-OEM "value priced' replacement lights will require some attention to keep them from leaking. So you pay for it one way or another. Also, some don't mind "high maintenance" to get the look.

I see. And I remember someone told me they once made them with brackets, the R34 style headlights. That was to make a better fitment. Interesting to know seems like i am better off with the original stock headlights. Ill see what i do actually thanx for the information.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

All my pairs of R34's fit perfectly. Light output was crap, so they were retrofitted.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Got Retrofit?

These new batches are made extremely cheaply.. Poorly made, poorly fitting and stillll have the ****ty output.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
All my pairs of R34's fit perfectly. Light output was crap, so they were retrofitted.
good to know Wiz 👍🏼
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM

These new batches are made extremely cheaply.. Poorly made, poorly fitting and stillll have the ****ty output.
so i guess im just good with the original oem ones then 🤕
Old 03-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Got Retrofit?

There are some black housing stock style lights available that would be decent if you need something new. They come with matching corner lights as well. Check ebay.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:18 PM

There are some black housing stock style lights available that would be decent if you need something new. They come with matching corner lights as well. Check ebay.
if possible can u send a link. I will be repainting the car pearl white on the 16th so I actually liked the clear look. Ha but yea if u could send the link!
Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Got Retrofit?

Old 03-04-2019, 02:46 PM

oh wow thats nice. So its the same as the original ones i have? Just colored black a little.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Had 2 different pairs from eBay in the last 2years (different batches/Chinese manufacturers, very slight differences such as the corners on one set had a reflector and the other one was just plain black) on 2 different 97-99 cars. They were very easy installs and fit like gloves.

Personally I always liked the black style more than the clear. And the light output is not going to be good because of the reflection pattern, which is concerning if you live in an area with deer. I retrofitted mine for the look of the halos and the outstanding light quality.

The rtv is gonna be a good idea, the seal between the housing and lens isn't very good and will let moisture in.

Last edited by Violator; 03-04-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Had 2 different pairs from eBay in the last 2years (different batches/Chinese manufacturers, very slight differences such as the corners on one set had a reflector and the other one was just plain black) on 2 different 97-99 cars. They were very easy installs and fit like gloves.

Personally I always liked the black style more than the clear. And the light output is not going to be good because of the reflection pattern, which is concerning if you live in an area with deer. I retrofitted mine for the look of the halos and the outstanding light quality.

The rtv is gonna be a good idea, the seal between the housing and lens isn't very good and will let moisture in.
yea here its pretty dark here haha i do a lot of night driving. But those clear lens are beautiful. I like the black houing too. I think it goes better with a black car rather than a white car imo tho
Old 03-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dbaray View Post

yea here its pretty dark here haha i do a lot of night driving. But those clear lens are beautiful. I like the black houing too. I think it goes better with a black car rather than a white car imo tho
I still like the look idk if you've seen one but here's one I found

Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I still like the look idk if you've seen one but here's one I found
I think I'm running similar blue blubs for the high beam.

If I had it to over again, I would find a way to paint the white bulb socket for the corner lights black. It stands out like a sore thumb.

You can see it in this picture.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:17 PM

I think I'm running similar blue blubs for the high beam.

If I had it to over again, I would find a way to paint the white bulb socket for the corner lights black. It stands out like a sore thumb.

You can see it in this picture.

they both look good. Yea the style does look nicee
Old 03-04-2019, 11:02 PM

Honestly, for the looks, it gives the front end a nice finish. I don't drive the maxi much at night, but if I do, the light output isn't the best but you can still drive and see at night. They're cheap anyways these days and if you have faded headlights, this will make the car look more refreshed.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
Honestly, for the looks, it gives the front end a nice finish. I don't drive the maxi much at night, but if I do, the light output isn't the best but you can still drive and see at night. They're cheap anyways these days and if you have faded headlights, this will make the car look more refreshed.
ikw! The look is clean when the car is white.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Since history on the site was deleted past October of 2018, I can't find the part numbers.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what happened? I know they switched to a new front end; guessing the back end changed too. I only noticed the history issue recently.

Are there any threads in the main chat about the transition? I've spent a couple minutes looking but haven't really dug in.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what happened? I know they switched to a new front end; guessing the back end changed too. I only noticed the history issue recently.

Are there any threads in the main chat about the transition? I've spent a couple minutes looking but haven't really dug in.
i tried looking for a thread on this but i couldnt find much really. Maybe i didnt look right so i just put this one up lol
Old 03-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by dbaray View Post

i tried looking for a thread on this but i couldnt find much really. Maybe i didnt look right so i just put this one up lol
Lol! Probably all the threads about it were before the switch so you can't find them anymore
Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 View Post
Lol! Probably all the threads about it were before the switch so you can't find them anymore
lol well if i ever get them ill post it here and see how it goes