4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Motor Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM

Motor Mount Replacement

I think the time has come to replace my engine mounts. I have a fair bit of jerking and UN-smoothness when starting from a stop, or letting on and off the throttle at speed. With the car in gear (forward or reverse) and applying throttle with the brake on, I can see the engine lurching back and forth an amount that seems excessive.

Car has 260k now (96 Maxima GLE) and I don't think the mounts have ever been changed.

Is this a reasonable DIY repair? I've done mounts in other vehicles, but no idea just how accessible the ones on the max are. Where is the best place to buy them, and is aftermarket okay? How many mounts, and which ones usually need replacement? On many other vehicles I've owned, it's just one or two mounts that are the usual culprits and you can leave the rest alone. Curious if the Max is like that. Any have instructions? Any other help, suggestions, info, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-21-2019, 04:37 PM

It's not too bad. The crossmember has the front and rear mount on it, there's 2 bolts at the front of the crossemember and 2 at the rear. the bolt for the front mount is easy and the bolt for the rear mount is gonna probably require removing the intake up to the throttle body and on my manual trans car I had to remove the vehicle speed sensor because it was blocking the bolt.

Passenger mount should be pretty straightforward and should be done with the other mounts supporting the car. Trans mount I'll let someone else comment on bc the bracket the mount slides into is like a guide and it can't go towards the fender unless you pry the bracket/mount which probably wouldn't be the proper way to do it, the mount can normally only move inwards or downwards once removed from the trans but then the trans itself is probably going to block either of those motions. But the front and rear mount is where most of your back and forth motion is gonna come into play