4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'98 Trim? GXE, GLE, SE mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'98 Trim? GXE, GLE, SE mystery

Please, validate. Spoiler, Bose, woodish look dash, power w/trk/locks, sec sys, buttons on visor, o/d, p/vinyl(?) seat(s) driver side. I looked at whatever stickers, door, under hood, engine specs, trunk, everywhere. I am assuming GXE, no leather, and not basic. Am I assuming correctly, and where could I find the info.?
Old 11-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CeeyaFast
Please, validate. Spoiler, Bose, woodish look dash, power w/trk/locks, sec sys, buttons on visor, o/d, p/vinyl(?) seat(s) driver side. I looked at whatever stickers, door, under hood, engine specs, trunk, everywhere. I am assuming GXE, no leather, and not basic. Am I assuming correctly, and where could I find the info.?
What color are your gauges? Black or white? If white, then SE trim. Considering you don't have leather, it sounds like you have an SE with some optional equipment.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:37 AM

Aren’t the dash insert pieces in the SEs black?

Did any trim include the faux-wood inserts?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Aren’t the dash insert pieces in the SEs black?

Did any trim include the faux-wood inserts?
The GLE was the only trim to include faux woodtrim for the shifter bezel, radio bezel, and power window switch cover.

Look for your third brake light. If the third brake light is inside the car (bottom middle of rear window) then you have a GXE or GLE. If the third brake light is on the spoiler only, then you have a SE. The SE does not come with the third brake light inside the car. The 97-99 GLE model will say GLE on the back of the trunk. The 95-96 will not.

Last edited by 98 i30t 5spd; 11-02-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 98 i30t 5spd
The GLE was the only trim to include faux woodtrim for the shifter bezel, radio bezel, and power window switch cover.

Look for your third brake light. If the third brake light is inside the car (bottom middle of rear window) then you have a GXE or GLE. If the third brake light is on the spoiler only, then you have a SE. The SE does not come with the third brake light inside the car. The 97-99 GLE model will say GLE on the back of the trunk. The 95-96 will not.
My '98 has the faux wood exactly, as you describe, and the third brake light lower middle back window inside. It seems a bit crazy to fully load the car with options, minus the leather, but what do I know? It's weird, because seeing the Maxima with the leather seats did not look quite the same in its exterior view based on memory two years back. Is there a difference in profile, meaning sits lower? The SE looks more basic, also. Mine is comparable to a Honda, and often confused.

I will assume the GLE for the lack of leather, and white gauges, because the SE does not fit. I need the info to buy auto parts, but the parts are interchangeable for basic maintenance, right?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2019, 01:43 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Just post a few pictures and we can tell you for sure.

Last edited by JSutter; 11-02-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:20 PM

My '98 has the faux wood exactly, as you describe, and the third brake light lower middle back window inside. It seems a bit crazy to fully load the car with options, minus the leather, but what do I know? It's weird, because seeing the Maxima with the leather seats did not look quite the same in its exterior view based on memory two years back. Is there a difference in profile, meaning sits lower? The SE looks more basic, also. Mine is comparable to a Honda, and often confused.

I will assume the GLE for the lack of leather, and white gauges, because the SE does not fit. I need the info to buy auto parts, but the parts are interchangeable for basic maintenance, right?

Thanks
Interior trim pieces, seats, etc. can be swapped out with another Maxima or i30 for that matter. Parts are interchangeable for basic maintenance for the most part, the SE has a different suspension set up compared to the GLE and GXE. I would suggest posting a pic of your car if you really want a definite answer.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSutter
Just post a few pictures and we can tell you for sure.

I do have the sun/moon roof.

Ignore neighbor's house, vehicles, all the mess.

What is the necessity of the model trim in purpose? Value, performance, h/p, or just, cosmetics?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:17 PM

That is a SE model. All trim levels share the same V6 motor so hp is the same. The SE is sporty so it has a stiffer suspension and 16 inch rims, fog lights among other differences. The GLE is more luxury, so it's only offered with an automatic transmission and comes with leather. The GXE is basic, no leather, no Bose radio, steel rims with hubcaps etc. A fully loaded SE would be worth more in value in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:36 PM
JvG

I do have the sun/moon roof.

Ignore neighbor's house, vehicles, all the mess.

What is the necessity of the model trim in purpose? Value, performance, h/p, or just, cosmetics?
GXE is a basic Maxima. Purchased by those who could not afford more expensive ones.

GLE is a luxury Maxima. Purchased by those who have the money. An Infinity I-30 is anot her step up.

SE is a sporty Maxima. It has some nice features, and money goes to performance rather than luxury.

Last edited by The Wizard; 11-03-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That is a SE model. All trim levels share the same V6 motor so hp is the same. The SE is sporty so it has a stiffer suspension and 16 inch rims, fog lights among other differences. The GLE is more luxury, so it's only offered with an automatic transmission and comes with leather. The GXE is basic, no leather, no Bose radio, steel rims with hubcaps etc. A fully loaded SE would be worth more in value in my opinion.
Okay, this all is making sense, now, thanks to you guys offering different bits of knowledgeable info pre and post photos. I should come here first when looking for answers, instead of googling for a random post, but hate to bother with inane questions. I, initially, thought mine was a sports model with all the extras, (lucky me), but read the SE was the most basic (i.e. GXE), the GLE being the luxury, and the GXE had all the perks of GLE minus the leather, and gauges.

SE has a different suspension set up compared to the GLE and GXE.

Is this a/the reason for the clunking sound since replacing the shocks/struts in the rear??? I replaced the front end axle, and struts three months prior, because finances determined the brunt of wear took priority. Is there a noticeable distinction between the parts?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:22 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The suspension parts are interchangeable. Aftermarket stuff will be the same. You shouldn't have clunking. Something may be assembled incorrectly.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 AM

The SE and I30 models came with an additional plate that connects to subframe behind the front wheels.

The SE and I30T models had a different part number for the front strut upper insulator (top hat). The SE/T model insulator has thicker rubber.