4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Reduction of Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Kevlo for President

Reduction of Wind Noise

so how can i do it...the engine is quite but there is too much wind noise... i was thinking of buying that rubber door insulation stuff(the thing u put between a house door and the wood) it is about .7cm wide so i think it might work
Old 02-07-2002, 05:34 PM

Re: Reduction of Wind Noise

kevlo911

I thought it was just me, I thought my 95 Maxima was rather 'loud' on the highway ... not the engine, but the wind. So I cranked up the volume and listened to tunes on my in-dash changer

But seriously, if you figure something out, tell me. I contemplated using the foam weatherstrips but decided not too, it would look funny when the doors were open.

I went to Ziebart and had soundproofing done on the underbody, I don't think there's a difference. Might be the aerodynamics of the car? I dunno ...
Old 02-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One guy from our local group who is actually a car dealer, said that the majority of the noise in the car comes from the floor. He did a major sound deadening project where he ripped up all his carpeting and put down thin sheets of asphalt like you buy at the hardware store for roofing I think. Anyway, he added something like 300lbs to the car's weight, but it reduced the noise in the car a lot. He said he was thinking of doing the doors next. This is all second hand, and I don't remember his name. But that's the gist of it.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:13 PM

hakk97se

Adding 300+ lbs to deaden the noise doesn't seem worth it to me. You suffer fuel economy, and also the 'lead foot' mod is not as effective.

But if you're adding that much sound deadening, it SHOULD definitely kill the sound somewhat
Old 02-07-2002, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by hakk97se
One guy from our local group who is actually a car dealer, said that the majority of the noise in the car comes from the floor. He did a major sound deadening project where he ripped up all his carpeting and put down thin sheets of asphalt like you buy at the hardware store for roofing I think. Anyway, he added something like 300lbs to the car's weight, but it reduced the noise in the car a lot. He said he was thinking of doing the doors next. This is all second hand, and I don't remember his name. But that's the gist of it.
Even the thickest and heaviest of that stuff (dynamat xtreme) weighs in at only .45 pounds per square foot. It wouldn't take any more than 60 square feet of that stuff to thoroughly cover a Maxima's entire floorboard from firewall to trunk and back. That's at best 30 pounds of extra weight, not 300. Might I suggest buying "brown bread" or "beaver tail" from www.b-quiet.com
I think you'll be extremely pleased with your results. I know it turned my 2000 silverado into a friggin' Lexus inside.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:56 AM

another idea to reduce noise

I used the stuff used under new carpets (padding) to reduce noise. It is a light rubber foam material and is cheap. It comes in bulk at Home Depot and you can get all you need at the carpet section. $5 will buy you all you need.
I put it on the inside of the front kick panels, on the inside of the plastic covers on the supports at the sides of the windsheild ("A" pillars I think), and up on the inside of the firewall under the dash.
When I was doing my carpets I noticed the original equipment padding was a similiar material and that is where I got the idea to use it.
I don't know about wind noise in particular, but it sure helped cut down noise in general. It really reduced tire noise.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:09 PM
Kevlo for President

i hear most of the wind noise towards the door.... the weather strinping i am talking about is black so it won't look that bad but will it stayon or will it be too think to close the door
Old 02-08-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by kevlo911
i hear most of the wind noise towards the door.... the weather strinping i am talking about is black so it won't look that bad but will it stayon or will it be too think to close the door
Try it on a small section or one door for a test. Is it closes and seems to be making a good connection your all set. But if it leaves the door open a bit then you will hear way more wind then you are now.

SuDZ
Old 02-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Kevlo for President

ya i am gonna try it cuz it just gets annoying(wind noise that is)
Old 02-08-2002, 01:50 PM

if just wind noise

Originally posted by kevlo911
ya i am gonna try it cuz it just gets annoying(wind noise that is)
If it is just wind noise it must be in the weatherstriping. Has your Max ever been in an accident? Mine was and when the bodywork was done the door did not line up exactly and there was a gap in the seal. I used weatherstiping for that and cut it at an angle on the ends so it would seal better. It stopped the wind noise there at the door.
Did you check to see if your weatherstrip had any breaks or tears? If so, black silicone sealer will fix them.
Good luck.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Kevlo for President

Re: if just wind noise

Originally posted by kvzeyde

If it is just wind noise it must be in the weatherstriping. Has your Max ever been in an accident? Mine was and when the bodywork was done the door did not line up exactly and there was a gap in the seal. I used weatherstiping for that and cut it at an angle on the ends so it would seal better. It stopped the wind noise there at the door.
Did you check to see if your weatherstrip had any breaks or tears? If so, black silicone sealer will fix them.
Good luck.

that or not either way the max still has alot of wind noise
Old 02-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello:

Based on Hakk97se's post, I would agree that many cars have asphalt sheeting in the floor to reduce noise.

And I do agree that most of the noise comes from the floor.
The stiffness of the frame itself of the Maxima really isn't anything to write home about. That also makes the ride noisier.

As for the 300LBs... it would give that cool lowered look. Might actually handle better depending on the struts. When I had a stock GXE and loaded it up with 4 passengers, it handled better than it did when it had just me in it. A lot less body roll, a lot less floaty on the highway.

The sheeting is heavy but the center of gravity of the added weight is very low at the floor level. But city mileage would drop about 10% due to 10% more weight.

Later...
chris
Old 02-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In terms of making the floor quieter, one would need a sound transmission barrier rather than a damping material.

The only way damping materials work is by reducing vibration of a panel by adding a significant amount of mass... so they can only work well on light things like sheet metal or door panels.

The floor of the car, although resonant and thin; is still much heavier than any layer of damping material (Dynamat, etc..)
So damping materials cannot work to reduce noise from the floor.
I know; i tried it and it made absolutely no noticeable difference.
The asphalt sheeting idea is pretty much the only feasible thing I know of that would work for the floor because it blocks/reflects sound and has a large mass.

In terms of wind noise, that is merely a function of the aerodynamics of the car and the Cd (coefficient of drag)... unless something is wrong like missing weather stripping... but that would yield a noticeable howling sound rather than typical rush of wind noise. Things like thicker glass and thicker doors would reduce the wind noise observed in the interior.

later..
chris
Old 02-09-2002, 01:41 AM

Hmmm... this is interesting. I find alot of fault with my car, in craftsmanship, squeeks and rattles inside the car, things that dont fit or match etc, but I have not had any problems at all with wind noise, even at high speeds or in high wind days. Perhaps your car was in a wreck and not properly straigtenend so then it leaks. My friends oldsmobile did this.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:19 AM
Kevlo for President

i bought it new....in 96