4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car won't shift out of park intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 10:53 PM

Car won't shift out of park intermittently

So I have a 1995 Maxima with 200K miles and recently I have issues with moving the gear lever out of park. So the other day it won't come out of park, then I remember if you put the car on acc mode (2nd key position), you can shift out of park without putting your feet on the brake pedal, so I did that. Then I checked my brake light and it works fine so I don't think it's the brake switch. The next day it seem to work fine again as in I can start the car, foot on the brake, then move the gear lever out of park. Currently I can't move out of park unless I do it in acc mode.

I know most newer car have a gear shift interlock override under a visible cover but the 4th gen Maxima don't. I heard I'd have to remove the gear shifter cover and there is an override there and it's also possible to disconnect the gear shift interlock override altogether. Or if I wanted to replace the gear shift interlock, is the part still available new or would I have to get one from the junkyard? Anything else I should check?
Old 12-10-2022, 03:06 AM

Here’s the AT (Automatic Transaxle) portion of the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your car.

Start at page AT-115 and see Troubleshooting associated with Symptom 1.

https://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1995/AT.pdf
Old 12-10-2022, 09:46 AM

If you listen near the shifter when you hit the brake, do you hear the "click" of the shift lock trying to disengage?

If so the plastic shift lock actuator under the shifter may be getting caught. This happened to me on several very cold days last winter shortly after my wife spilled coffee. You can remove the center console and the black bezel around the shifter. If i remember correctly there is another black cover on the passenger side of the shifter that when removed exposes the entire assembly. You can manually move the shift lock override (looks like a thin metal bar), which i did for a few days until i was able to clean the plastic shift lock as best i could and hit it with some wd40. Works just fine normally, it only seems to act up on very very cold days, but after warming up the car a few mins she shifts just fine.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxBK
If you listen near the shifter when you hit the brake, do you hear the "click" of the shift lock trying to disengage?

If so the plastic shift lock actuator under the shifter may be getting caught. This happened to me on several very cold days last winter shortly after my wife spilled coffee. You can remove the center console and the black bezel around the shifter. If i remember correctly there is another black cover on the passenger side of the shifter that when removed exposes the entire assembly. You can manually move the shift lock override (looks like a thin metal bar), which i did for a few days until i was able to clean the plastic shift lock as best i could and hit it with some wd40. Works just fine normally, it only seems to act up on very very cold days, but after warming up the car a few mins she shifts just fine.
So I opened up the shifter trim piece. Is the circled area the shift lock actuator you're talking about? If the actuator is the proboem, would this be a mechanical issue (plastic/metal bar won't disengage)?

Old 12-10-2022, 04:25 PM

Yes I believe that’s it. Hitting the brake should make the plastic piece pop forward and unlock the shifter. If u pull the metal piece back with one finger it will unlock.

If you hear the click sound meaning it is trying to disengage then it may be just a mechanical issue. Try cleaning and a touch of grease.

If you don’t hear the click then it could be something else. You said your brake lights work correct? There is a separate switch next to the brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal lever that controls the shift lock. Perhaps it is not disengaging. It can be adjusted just unplug the harness, loosen the locknut and spin it until the plunger is depressed with the brake not engaged the same as the brake light switch is.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 98maxBK
Yes I believe that’s it. Hitting the brake should make the plastic piece pop forward and unlock the shifter. If u pull the metal piece back with one finger it will unlock.

If you hear the click sound meaning it is trying to disengage then it may be just a mechanical issue. Try cleaning and a touch of grease.

If you don’t hear the click then it could be something else. You said your brake lights work correct? There is a separate switch next to the brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal lever that controls the shift lock. Perhaps it is not disengaging. It can be adjusted just unplug the harness, loosen the locknut and spin it until the plunger is depressed with the brake not engaged the same as the brake light switch is.
Seems like my car shifts normally right now. And yes it does make the click noise when I step on the brake. I do see the plastic piece popping forward when i step on the brake. So for the manual override you said to pull the metal piece back, you mean the small metal bar in between the 2 plastic pieces?
Old 12-10-2022, 04:49 PM

I think that’s it yes. It should move about a half inch maybe with minimal force with one or two fingers.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:49 PM

So I sprayed it with some Wd40 and it seems to work fine now. Hopefully it doesn't get stuck again. Thanks for the help