4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much noise increase from removing exhaust resonator with stock muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much noise increase from removing exhaust resonator with stock muffler?

I searched, but most of the questions about removing the resonator asked about noise with an aftermarket muffler. I plan on keeping the stock muffler, I won't mind a slight increase in noise, but I don't want my car to be very loud.

I want to get either the Warpspeed B-pipe fix or B-pipe depending on pricing when they become available. Will removing the resonator increase the noise much with the stock muffler? I am most concerened about the interior sound level at cruising RPM (~3000), if it is louder at WOT or high RPM that is fine. I will be ordering a Warpspeed Y pipe in the next few days and adding an intake soon.

Acorrding to their B-pipe fix page, you can also get it with a resonator, either perforated baffle or cheese grater style, whats the difference?
Old 02-08-2002, 02:09 PM

Re: How much noise increase from removing exhaust resonator with stock muffler?

Originally posted by Anachronism
I searched, but most of the questions about removing the resonator asked about noise with an aftermarket muffler. I plan on keeping the stock muffler, I won't mind a slight increase in noise, but I don't want my car to be very loud.

I want to get either the Warpspeed B-pipe fix or B-pipe depending on pricing when they become available. Will removing the resonator increase the noise much with the stock muffler? I am most concerened about the interior sound level at cruising RPM (~3000), if it is louder at WOT or high RPM that is fine. I will be ordering a Warpspeed Y pipe in the next few days and adding an intake soon.

Acorrding to their B-pipe fix page, you can also get it with a resonator, either perforated baffle or cheese grater style, whats the difference?
If your looking at staying with your stock muffler then the sound will not be quite so bad. You may hear a bit of an increase but it is definantly nothing compared to what it would be on an aftermarket muffler. Mainly because aftermarket ones go for a "straight-thru" design. This does very little for silencing the gasses and gives you the loud noise your looking to avoid. On ours it dampens the sound a bit cause less HP but only by about a factor of 2 - 3 HP. Which is not worth it if you dont like the noise.

SuDZ