4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV boot/control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002 | 04:40 PM

CV boot/control arm question

I went for an oil change on Friday and was told that my driver's side CV boot was split down the middle. They said that it looked so bad that I would'nt make it home. They also said that I would need a new control-arm. They advised me to fix it ASAP and quoted me a price of $350. The only thing I ever noticed was that when I turned, 95% of the time it would make some clicking noises. Otherwise, it seemed fine. My question is do I really need a new control-arm, or just a new CV boot? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 02-11-2002 | 04:47 PM

Re: CV boot/control arm question

Originally posted by gakary54
I went for an oil change on Friday and was told that my driver's side CV boot was split down the middle. They said that it looked so bad that I would'nt make it home. They also said that I would need a new control-arm. They advised me to fix it ASAP and quoted me a price of $350. The only thing I ever noticed was that when I turned, 95% of the time it would make some clicking noises. Otherwise, it seemed fine. My question is do I really need a new control-arm, or just a new CV boot? Thanks for any help you can give me.
If the boot was actually split and you can see inside then you will need a new CV joint. If anything got inside there it will be very bad when driving down the road to have it fail, steering almost completly stops working. That price seems a little high though, you can pick up the part and a Chilton at your local auto parts store and do it yourself for about half that cost.

Adam
Old 02-11-2002 | 04:50 PM

Re: CV boot/control arm question

i dodn't think you whould need a control arm i think they are jut trying to squeez some money out of you. if anything your bushings in the control arm might be worn if that is the case get the energy suspension control arm bushings and get tighter steering out of it.
if your cv boot has a crack then yeah replace the boots but get a secound and third opinion on the control arm.
Old 02-11-2002 | 07:37 PM

I agree. Anyone who tells you that you need a new control arm because your CV boot is split is trying to separate you from your wallet. Now, there could be something else wrong with the arm, so get a 2nd opinion, but if they say it's because of something with the CV boot/joint ... say no thanks and get the keys back.

Get a new (um, remanufactured) half-axle from the parts store and swap it out yourself. It's not too hard to do. Just make sure you get the exact correct one (auto/5speed are different, so is driver/pass side). If your boot's been split for any amount of time, you probably have water/dirt in the joint (that's why it clicks) so don't bother with one of those boot replacement kits. Just get an entire half-axle and swap out inner and outer in one shot. Don't believe the hype about "not making it home" with a clicking CV joint either. I've been driving mine all winter with it clicking away on hard left turns. Just waiting for some warmer weather before I can swap it out. You don't want to drive with one damaged forever (and I won't), but it's not a "do it now or you'll break down on the way home" thing either.

-kevin
Old 02-12-2002 | 02:49 AM

Need new control arm?!!! Who is he kidding?

Do you know what the control arm looks like? It's shaped like an A, thats why it's called an A-arm. It's a solid piece of metal. It doesnt break down. The only thing that can go wrong on that part of the car is the failed CV joint, or a failed tie rod joint, or a bent tie rod. Dont get ripped off.
Old 02-12-2002 | 01:29 PM

Originally posted by maxrules
I agree. Anyone who tells you that you need a new control arm because your CV boot is split is trying to separate you from your wallet. Now, there could be something else wrong with the arm, so get a 2nd opinion, but if they say it's because of something with the CV boot/joint ... say no thanks and get the keys back.

Get a new (um, remanufactured) half-axle from the parts store and swap it out yourself. It's not too hard to do. Just make sure you get the exact correct one (auto/5speed are different, so is driver/pass side). If your boot's been split for any amount of time, you probably have water/dirt in the joint (that's why it clicks) so don't bother with one of those boot replacement kits. Just get an entire half-axle and swap out inner and outer in one shot. Don't believe the hype about "not making it home" with a clicking CV joint either. I've been driving mine all winter with it clicking away on hard left turns. Just waiting for some warmer weather before I can swap it out. You don't want to drive with one damaged forever (and I won't), but it's not a "do it now or you'll break down on the way home" thing either.

-kevin
Thanks for all the help. I am going to have it checked out by a friend. Just so everyone knows, it was the SEARS Auto Center in Staten Island that told me I needed a new control-arm and that I would'nt make it home. Again, thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 02-12-2002 | 01:42 PM

www.raxles.com
Old 02-12-2002 | 09:41 PM

Thanks for all the help. I am going to have it checked out by a friend. Just so everyone knows, it was the SEARS Auto Center in Staten Island that told me I needed a new control-arm and that I would'nt make it home. Again, thanks to everyone who replied.

I have a 1995 Maxima SE and I got my (1)whole axle replace for 110 CASH with a 1 year warranty. Just thought I share that with you. If you live in the Houston, TX area, I can give you the place where they do it.