4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MagnaFlow---Is it worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 03:23 PM

MagnaFlow---Is it worth the money?

I stopped at a muffler shop and they have MagnaFlow Mufflers
on sale for $180 installed. He said that the Street Series
would be the way to go, to get that deep sound!!! Is it worth
the money or not? I am looking for a good muffler and coil overs,
I only have $500 to do that with!!!! I just painted,and put a system,and rims on!!!! Don't have a lot of money to spend!!
WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2002, 03:34 PM

Re: MagnaFlow---Is it worth the money?

Magnaflows aren't that great. I don't think it's worth $180 installed since it's only about $40 to put a muffler on, and the magnaflow isn't $140.

Originally posted by superdopermax
I stopped at a muffler shop and they have MagnaFlow Mufflers
on sale for $180 installed. He said that the Street Series
would be the way to go, to get that deep sound!!! Is it worth
the money or not? I am looking for a good muffler and coil overs,
I only have $500 to do that with!!!! I just painted,and put a system,and rims on!!!! Don't have a lot of money to spend!!
WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would have to disagree with Shadow on that ...I have used Magnaflow on my Yukon for 3 years and I love it...it is only midly louder at idle/cruise than stck but you can hear it when you want...much nicer than the common Flowmasters which I think are a bit too much...just my opinion...I like the brand and company seems to have lots of nice choices...you can ask BrianV too...he used one for his Maxima...and I am probably getting one for my car tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:18 PM

I don't know much about Magnaflows but I think Shadow is relating it to Maximas...every car is different

Chris

I could be wrong....
Old 03-28-2002, 11:06 PM

Well, I've seen and heard the Magnaflow on a Maxima and wasn't impressed. On other cars, I have no experience.

Originally posted by NISMOPower
I don't know much about Magnaflows but I think Shadow is relating it to Maximas...every car is different

Chris

I could be wrong....
Old 03-29-2002, 12:59 AM

Magnaflow

I'm with WizzaMax. I have the Magnaflow on my car. When I put it on we had a thread on the old Maxima.org, and it came out it is the same as the (non -SS?) Stillen for less money. I like it a lot. My car has a low growl, very rich and deep. I can turn heads in parking lots with the sound. This setup isn't loud either, though over time it has gotten quieter than it used to be. I dynoed at 192 with this muffler, a Cattman SS y-pipe and Weapon-R intake, so performance-wise it's fine.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:04 AM

I have a 3" Magnaflow muffler (racing series), it is VERY loud! You may end up wanting to put a glass pack in there to muffle it more. it's a little too loud for me! It certainly attracts a lot of attention. I would like to compare the sound with the magnaflow muffler and without ANY muffler, I don't think there'd be a whole lot of difference!

It is certainly one of the prettiest mufflers but not sure about whether it serves its function as a muffler. it flows VERY well!
Old 03-29-2002, 07:30 AM

What about Dynomax muffler!!

Dynomax has the super turbo muffler (Tri-flow design) and the ultra-flow muffler (straight thru). Anyone has any experience with them?
Also I found a very interesting article about muffler, flow and sound. Here is the link:
http://www.autospeed.com/A_0383/article.html
The test vehicle was the equivalent of a toyota corrolla in australia.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:42 AM

I opted out of magnaflow because from what I saw they really didn't have the look Iwas going for. I ended up with a cat-back and Flowmaster. I like they way you don't see the muffler, only the 3in chrome tip. My only complaint is that cruise sound is a little loud. I generally can't hear it over my music but it gets bad on long trips. It will deffinately turn heads though.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:21 PM

Magnaflow and Stillen Catback

Just for info I recently had a Magnapack perforated core muffler installed as a resonator on my "B" pipe between the Stillen muffler and my cat. The resonation inside the cabin with the Stillen set up was too loud and annoying. The Stillen Cat back is loud as hell so I had the Magnapack installed. The Magnapack quieted it down some inside the cabin but did not affect the outside exhaust pitch or sound level. Even with our VQ engines, they're still six's and I do not know if we can ever get the deep rumble exhaust sound like the V8's......I had a 1964 Pontiac GTO, now that rumbled...

Mark
Old 03-29-2002, 02:34 PM

Magnaflow

You can't see my Magnaflow, just the tip sticking barely out past the body. As for the sound, I pulled along a Camaro V8 with dual exhaust this morning. He was rumbling up to a light so I backed off the gas and pretty darn matched his tone. I sure got him to look! I love the sound of my setup: Weapon R intake with the El Cheapo CAI; Cattman SS y-pipe; Courtesy B pipe; Magnaflow exhaust.