4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

BG Engine Flush worth it! Highly Recommended!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 02:16 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

BG Engine Flush worth it! Highly Recommended!

OK I took my car to the dealer earlier today to do the BG Engine Flush w/ oil change, I couldn't believe how much sludge was in my engine at 73K when the service manager showed me how much was taken out, and he was like "yours had a good amount but, I've seen worse than that, looked like your brother didn't take care of his Maxima when he had it." (Because my SE was originally my brother's car before becoming mine). But after my drive home and driving around to run a few errands, I noticed the engine revs much easier, acceleration is quicker & smoother, and there isn't as much hesitation as before. I'm already happy w/ it so far!!

I still do have a knocking issue to fix even before I did the engine flush, but I'll take care of that when I do a tune up next week.

But, I strongly recommend doing the engine flush, might be a bit costly but it's well worth it!!

Slowly but surely my SE is starting to feel like new!! Next BG service is the fuel induction!! I'll do that w/ my tune-up!
Old 05-10-2002, 02:56 PM

Re: BG Engine Flush worth it! Highly Recommended!

Originally posted by Wht98SE

But, I strongly recommend doing the engine flush, might be a bit costly but it's well worth it!!
What exactly do you mean by a bit costly?
Old 05-10-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Re: BG Engine Flush worth it! Highly Recommended!

Originally posted by DiscoGsus

What exactly do you mean by a bit costly?
the whole flush cost me around $100, but it's well worth it
Old 05-10-2002, 03:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've never head of this BG stuff, where do you get it done, and how much does it cost?
Old 05-10-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
I've never head of this BG stuff, where do you get it done, and how much does it cost?
Your Nissan dealer provides the BG Engine Flush service for around $100, does a hell of a job removing all the sludge from inside the engine.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

You mean before you could see a bunch of varnish on your upper valvetrain when you removed the oil filler cap but now it's all clean(no more varnish on the cams etc)?

Your Nissan dealer provides the BG Engine Flush service for around $100, does a hell of a job removing all the sludge from inside the engine.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You mean before you could see a bunch of varnish on your upper valvetrain when you removed the oil filler cap but now it's all clean(no more varnish on the cams etc)?
From what my service advisor showed me since he took me out back to where the engine flush machine was, virtually all the sludge & varnish that was accumulating inside my engine was removed
Old 05-10-2002, 04:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

I recommend going to your car, take off the oil cap and peer inside the valvetrain. Then post back. But the thing is, I don't think you looked inside before you had the service done.

Looks like a good serice though. I vaguely remember seeing something on this service before.

From what my service advisor showed me since he took me out back to where the engine flush machine was, virtually all the sludge & varnish that was accumulating inside my engine was removed
Old 05-10-2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I recommend going to your car, take off the oil cap and peer inside the valvetrain. Then post back. But the thing is, I don't think you looked inside before you had the service done.

Looks like a good serice though. I vaguely remember seeing something on this service before.

Took your advice & peeked inside, looks really clean. Altough I saw a lot of sludge & varnish removed, I have a feeling there's still a 'lil bit left & I want my engine completely sludge-free so I wanna do the BG Engine Flush again on the next oil change.

It really is a good service, I felt a difference so far in acceleration & smoothness.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

I agree with Jeff, I've peeked at mine every now and then, abd remember seeing varnish type of looking stuff on the visible cam. Hopefully this stuff cleans it.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:19 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I can get the same service done for $39.99... Dealerships rip you off...
Old 05-10-2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
Please don't tell us where. Do not elaborate.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:38 PM

where did you get it done??? what did you ask for? do you think a normal mechanic would have this stuff, because I'm due for an oil change and it would be nice to have that done also
Old 05-10-2002, 06:43 PM

Can someone tell me what BG stands for?

Originally posted by NmexMAX
I agree with Jeff, I've peeked at mine every now and then, abd remember seeing varnish type of looking stuff on the visible cam. Hopefully this stuff cleans it.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Engine flush? Hm...never heard of that. I heard of a transmission fluid flush, but that's about it.

You have an auto right? I wonder could that help my auto out as well. Hm...
Old 05-10-2002, 08:30 PM

yeh i never heard of that iether
Old 05-10-2002, 08:36 PM

OK kiddies - I had this done on my old accord at the 60k check. I believe it helps break down carbon deposits in the engine as well - they pour this stuff in, run the car for 20 minutes, and all this black smoke just pours out of the muffler. Check out their site, although it doesn't give that much info.

In Denver, where I am, there is a shop that does it for $30. Ask your local mechanic (if you trust them) and they should be able to do it for $60 or less. Just ask for a BG engine flush - BG makes a ton of pretty good engine products (and transmission flush cleaners), so any good mechanic should know about them.

http://www.bgprod.com/engineoils.html

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2002, 08:51 PM

so when do we need a engine flush? 60k miles??
Old 05-10-2002, 09:11 PM

That's actually a really good question - I'm surprised there hasn't been a more informative post about this topic from one of the more mechanically oriented Maxima drivers. I myself am far from being an expert on topics like this.

For the Accord, they recommended it at 60k miles. I don't believe this is in the Maxima service book, so I would just say every 60k, unless your mechanic says less/more miles in between. In any case, for $30-$50, it's not a prohibitively expensive to get all the carbon buildup out of there. Anyway, it's kinda funny to see all that black smoke exiting your car.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
so when do we need a engine flush? 60k miles??
I just recently did mine at 73K, man I never saw so much buildup inside my VQ from what the flush machine pulled out from it. I already notice acceleration is much smoother, revs easier & engine is much quieter, but next oil change I'm doing this engine flush again!! While I'm still in the 5 digits on my odometer, this is still a good chance to get whatever sludge that's remaining out of my VQ. I want my VQ smooth, spotless & to purr like a kitten!!
Old 05-11-2002, 08:14 AM

Has anyone ever heard of a problem occurring due to flushing with
this method?

I wonder what would happen if some hard buildups got dislodged and got stuck somewhere else in the motor...(if the flush chemical was
not able to break them down first)...that could cause some problems...
Old 05-14-2002, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by vin1024
Has anyone ever heard of a problem occurring due to flushing with
this method?

I wonder what would happen if some hard buildups got dislodged and got stuck somewhere else in the motor...(if the flush chemical was
not able to break them down first)...that could cause some problems...
So far my VQ's purring along smoothly esp. after doing the flush last Fri., no prob.'s yet
Old 05-14-2002, 05:40 AM

So far my VQ's purring along smoothly esp. after doing the flush last Fri., no prob.'s yet
From the way you describe it, it seems they actually hooked your car up to a machine that flushed it. But above, BG is described as a product you just put in your engine, which you run, drain and fill with new oil?

The BG website describes a flushing machine, but triax37 describes just an additive. What's that?
Old 05-14-2002, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by Maxwell

From the way you describe it, it seems they actually hooked your car up to a machine that flushed it. But above, BG is described as a product you just put in your engine, which you run, drain and fill with new oil?

The BG website describes a flushing machine, but triax37 describes just an additive. What's that?
Yep, they used a machine that flushed all the sludge & varnish out using BG products that help dissolve all the buildup inside the engine
Old 05-14-2002, 06:07 AM

hrmmmmm .... http://www.marlows.com.au/3225176.html ?$6.95?

here is the home site http://www.wynnswa.com.au/menu6.html
Old 05-14-2002, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Maxwell

Sorry, I wasn't particularly clear on this. It is an additive, and there is a separate machine. The additive is added, they let it sit for 15-30 minutes (I forgot how long exactly), which breaks up deposits. Then they use the machine to get the deposits out.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:34 AM

Interesting.

But I'm wondering if this could actually cause other problems? I know many transmission places won't flush the tranny if you have too many miles on the car. There is a chance that they'll actually remove deposits which may have created seals, and by removing this, you'll get leaks.

Not sure if anything like that can happen in this case, but it's worth asking about?
Old 05-14-2002, 09:51 AM

so this is not a DIY? sux
Old 05-14-2002, 10:09 AM

look at the first link i posted , apparently it is a DIY mod .

Old 05-14-2002, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by breaux124
Interesting.

But I'm wondering if this could actually cause other problems? I know many transmission places won't flush the tranny if you have too many miles on the car. There is a chance that they'll actually remove deposits which may have created seals, and by removing this, you'll get leaks.

Not sure if anything like that can happen in this case, but it's worth asking about?
You're exactly right, but this is much more likely on a much older car with alot more miles. I dont think a 4th gen could be this worn out, but I wouldnt recommend doing a second flush even if you think its not clean enough.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:21 AM

I know alot of guys might feel differently, but I'd like to do this so that I can find any leaks I might have. I'd rather fix the car properly so that I get 250k out of her, rather than limp her to 150-200k with harmful deposits substituting for seals.

Of course, it's not always wise for the wallet, but if you want to treat your lady right...
Old 05-14-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Stillnmax
look at the first link i posted , apparently it is a DIY mod .

We are talking about the BG Engine Flush - maybe you could have read the discussion topic?

I don't know anything about the "Wynn" flush, and am not making a statement about it one way or another. There are several companies that make a product similar to this "Wynn" flush - they may do a good job, they may not. BG is a well respected company in the US, and this type of flush is different because it uses a machine to suck out crap that may get lodged in the lines. yourself.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:51 AM

its the same crap, diff company. so go yourself
Old 05-14-2002, 10:52 AM

Gunk engine flush does the same thing u put it in along with your old oil run for 5 minutes and drain the oil, it's done before an oil change.Costs maybe 5 or 10 dollars, I have seen it in auto stores and do not advice its use on old engines.I have never used it though!!
try this before that BG stuff....
Old 05-14-2002, 11:00 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

This is not a Flame, trying to help explain...

Suck out crap that would otherwise get stuck in the lines? What lines? The BG machine does not hook up to any lines, it hooks up to the stock drain plug. There are no "Lines" as have been stated. Whether you use a machine, or pour in a flush, it really doesn't make that big of a difference. You also shouldn't run any of the stuff for more than 5-6 minutes. The solution is petroluem based, but it's lubrication is marginal. Rev the engine at all while this stuff is in and you WILL cause engine wear, and possible damage. As for when to do it, the milage doesn't really matter. With a tranny flush, they recommend you don't do it after 100k if youve never done one before. We recently ran an engine flush on a Toyato minivan with over 250k miles on it, having never been done before, and had no problems. Ive messed around the BG, Wynn, and Gumout products, they are all basically the same, hell, I think some of the companys just buy there products from one source under a different name. So please, stop the flaming and lets just help each other understand a little better...
Old 05-14-2002, 11:09 AM

Re: This is not a Flame, trying to help explain...

Suck out crap that would otherwise get stuck in the lines? What lines? The BG machine does not hook up to any lines, it hooks up to the stock drain plug. There are no "Lines" as have been stated....
Thanks for the info - as I said earlier, I am no expert on this process. I figured that that the machine had some function other than just catching the deposits, but if that's the case then that's the case. Makes paying $100 seem ridiculous, but the $30 seen here in Denver more reasonable.

Now that this thread has gotten fully out of control, good luck everyone deciding whether or not you want to do this.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:17 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: This is not a Flame, trying to help explain...

$30 is definetly reasonable. Toyota dealers charge $100 for the Gumout cleaner, which is just a pour in. Here in the Northwest (WA) it's $39.99 to get it done...

Originally posted by triax37

Thanks for the info - as I said earlier, I am no expert on this process. I figured that that the machine had some function other than just catching the deposits, but if that's the case then that's the case. Makes paying $100 seem ridiculous, but the $30 seen here in Denver more reasonable.

Now that this thread has gotten fully out of control, good luck everyone deciding whether or not you want to do this.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:11 PM

this is really just a super oil change, engine flushing is nothing new, not too many people might do it because if you do regular oil changes on time, there shouldnt really be a need for this, especially not on our VQ engine which is really good...it can be reccomended to be done and doesnt sound like a bad idea at all, so thanx for lettin us in on your experience...and yes i can definately see how doing it with a machine can be benificial but the way the oil drain hole was designed, when the plug is removed, the oil not only falls out but it actually kind of sucks out all the oil in your engine on its own by creating a vacuum effect from that one hole, in sense doing the same job that the machine does