4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need advice on used car

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need advice on used car

Hi,

I have been on this forum for a while, lurking on and off and posting once in a while.

Well, I just totalled my car today My BABY! It was a Toyota Camry. I might potentially be in the market looking for a new car in the next day or two. I have grown to learn a lot about Toyotas and Camrys and I know what is available to make those cars beefier, sportier, sturdier, etc.

I was wondering if the Maxima (4th gen) has a similar aftermarket. For example, do 4th gen Maximas have aftermarket struts, springs, etc and swaybars, fstbs, etc.

Also, on the performance front what is available... any supercharging capabilities? Also, what year/model would be the most desirable?

I am still totally shell-shocked and glad to be alive after what happened. But I realize that dwelling over it isn't gonna' solve it. I want to learn from this and look ahead. So I am here asking for your help and advice on your cars.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:58 PM

Wow...ummm lets see...

Yes, they have some aftermarket support..check out CustomMaxima.com, Warpspeed Performance, Stillen for starters. There are suspension parts, and add-ons (FSTB,RSB, RSTB), and performance parts(bolt ons and other) availible to the needy.

They definitely have supercharging capabilities, again check out Stillen for their kit. I think it is the only one. There have also been some forays in Turbo land, but the S/C kit is a lot easier.

As for the model...everyone has a favorite/opinion.

To answer any other questions, use the search function....especially the model question, that has been debated recently.
Checking the "Group Deals" and "Parts for Sale" forum's will give you a great idea on what parts people have bought and what they like/didn't like.

Good luck, and I hope you choose to enter the land of the Maxima!
Old 05-22-2002, 01:45 AM

Re: Need advice on used car

Originally posted by speedemn
Hi,

I have been on this forum for a while, lurking on and off and posting once in a while.

Well, I just totalled my car today My BABY! It was a Toyota Camry. I might potentially be in the market looking for a new car in the next day or two. I have grown to learn a lot about Toyotas and Camrys and I know what is available to make those cars beefier, sportier, sturdier, etc.

I was wondering if the Maxima (4th gen) has a similar aftermarket. For example, do 4th gen Maximas have aftermarket struts, springs, etc and swaybars, fstbs, etc.

Also, on the performance front what is available... any supercharging capabilities? Also, what year/model would be the most desirable?

I am still totally shell-shocked and glad to be alive after what happened. But I realize that dwelling over it isn't gonna' solve it. I want to learn from this and look ahead. So I am here asking for your help and advice on your cars.

Thanks for your help guys.
upgrade to a maxima. you wont regret it. welcome.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:04 AM

AfterMarket for 4th Gen Maxima?

Boy have you come to the right place

I would suggest you get a 98 or 99 Maxima. They got the little extras like a more modern auto-climate control, digital odos, newer look (for a 4th gen, also the 97 has that newer look). The 99s have a better stock alarm. There's a chip in the key to make it more secure. Also the 99 Maximas have the somewhat rare SE limited editions, especially the red SELs, very rare and unique

Check out the links below. This is just a small selection. There's more. You'll find the aftermarket for Maximas to be very good. Everything you asked about exists in abundance. For example, you can get H&R or Eibach or Sprint or Coilovers etc for the Max.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
http://www.custommaxima.com/Main.html
http://www.cattman.com/
http://www.stillen.com

HTH

DW

I was wondering if the Maxima (4th gen) has a similar aftermarket. For example, do 4th gen Maximas have aftermarket struts, springs, etc and swaybars, fstbs, etc
Old 05-22-2002, 06:28 AM

Camry's are nice family cars tuned to ride quietly and comfy from the factory. While the Max is also a family car from the factory, they are designed to be slightly sportier from the factory. This would require less after market mods to achieve the same performance. There is ample after market support for the Maxima and many people have great success in drag racing and autocrossing their Maximas. Sorry to hear about your Camry's demise.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:42 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys... keep 'em coming. I really appreciate it.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any gen 4 Maximas up for sale in Ontario, Canada. I live in Waterloo but my home is in Toronto.

Also, what would I expect to pay for a gen 4 Maxima (through the various years)? I hear that the 95-96 are the fastest years.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-22-2002, 08:01 PM

Hey man,

I'm also from Waterloo.. My advice is get one up there in TO, there's a wider range and from my shopping experience a few months ago, they're anything from 800 to 1500 cheaper. I went for an Auto 97 SE, but if you're looking for standard you'd be harder pushed to find one in K/W. www.autotrader.ca is a great place to start.

Thanks for all the feedback guys... keep 'em coming. I really appreciate it.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any gen 4 Maximas up for sale in Ontario, Canada. I live in Waterloo but my home is in Toronto.

Also, what would I expect to pay for a gen 4 Maxima (through the various years)? I hear that the 95-96 are the fastest years.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-22-2002, 08:26 PM

There's a 99 red Maxima SE-L manual for sale at the CarMax in Kenosha, WI. Just go to www.carmax.com to find it. I test drove it and it's in great condition. I just need a sunroof and it didn't have one.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:39 PM

I live in London, Ontario and purchased a Sterling Mist 1999SE in Cambridge two months ago. It was a fully loaded 5-speed with leather, moonroof, CD changer and new Michelin MXV4 tires. Even came with interior wood trim and painted splashguards. It was a locally leased vehicle with 100,000 kilometres (60,000 miles), purchased for $17,000 Canadian ($10,500 US). It's been a great ride! Unfortunately I've been relegated to driving our Nissan Quest as my wife has taken control of the Max!
Old 05-23-2002, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by JR_Anders
There's a 99 red Maxima SE-L manual for sale at the CarMax in Kenosha, WI. Just go to www.carmax.com to find it. I test drove it and it's in great condition. I just need a sunroof and it didn't have one.
Wow sounds like a good car... but I'd be looking for something in my area preferrably... definetly not as far as WI.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:27 PM

Maxima mileage

Another thing I wanted to ask you guys about your gen 4 Maximas... I have a couple that I am looking at. SE and GLE. What are the differences between the two (one difference being that the SE is 5-spd and the GLE is auto). But what other goodies do each have that the other doesn't?

Secondly, do I have to worry about buying a higher mileage engine? There are some good deals around here but the mileage is in the 210,000 kms range. Should I keep looking for something with lower mileage or does it not make a difference whether I get one with 130,000 kms or 210,000 kms?

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:59 PM

Re: Maxima mileage

You've definitely come to the right place. If you're really a driver enthusiast but was happy with the reliability your Toyota gave you, you'll find yourself liberated with a Maxima (and wonder why you didn't get one to begin with).

Which one you get depends on what kind of driving you do. Your transmission type makes a BIG difference. I take it you're up in the air about it? If you're looking for more of a luxury sedan, get the GLE. If you wish you could own a 5 series BMW but don't have the money, get the SE. However, if you drive in heavy traffic most of the time, you'll hate your 5 speed. In that case get the automatic. Aside from transmission, which one you pick will put you more towards luxury or sportiness. You can take an SE and put in the extra ammenities that would make it a GLE (chrome trim, wood grain, etc.). At the same time, you can beef up the suspension of a GLE and give it the performance of an SE (the engines are the same, btw).

As for mileage, these cars go, and go, and go.... if taken care of. Much like Toyotas. But as with any car, you have to consider the normal wear and tear from mileage. You just don't have to fear the Maxima will give you "lemon" like problems with high mileage. But remember that all car parts wear out eventually... it's always better to get a lower mileage car if you can afford it.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:31 PM

Canadian models

I believe Canadian models had some different features than their US counterparts. From 1995-98, the GLE was the most expensive model because it had standard leather and other luxury features. The base SE came with manual transmission, cloth seats, 15/16" alloy wheels, ABS; although it could be optioned out to GLE standards.

In 1999 I believe the SE came only one way, fully loaded with 5-speed (automatic transmission being the only option). The SE base price was $36K Canadian, higher than the GLE. The ES model (Eurosport?) took the place of the base SE, with some options available such as the moonroof, but no leather.

I chose the 99SE because of the greater safety standards. It came with front and side air bags (leather seats only), the engine immobilizer chip key, 3-point safety belts for all 5 occupants, and better bumper protection than 95-96 models.

There has been some speculation that the 99 models lost some power due to the VQ engine meeting the stricter California emissions standards that year. It has more than enough power for me. I'd rather sacrifice a tenth of a second to have the additional safety features. Just my opinion.