4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WTH is wrong with my alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTH is wrong with my alarm?

I have the factory alarm on my '96 SE. The only thing I changed is to a better horn, not the Triple horn, just a replacement for the factory one. I haven't had any problems with it until today. When I was working today, I heard my alarm going off. I went outside to check and see if someone was messing with my car; it didn't seem like it. I reactivated my alarm and went back inside. About fifteen mins. or so later, the alarm went off again. I thought maybe I must have bump again the remote while I was working. So, I took the key/remote on a desk thinking that should take care of that. A little later, the alarm went off again! WTF? Nobody touch the remote, and since I didn't have it in my pocket, it definitely can't be me setting it off. I was clueless on what might have cause this. I got frustrated and decide I should maybe not activate the alarm. I locked the doors using the door switch and then closed the driver side door. Well, guess what? The alarm went off one more time! I don't get it. Anyway, I rearmed the alarm and so far it haven't gone off again. Any ideas? I'm very confused.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:21 PM

I don't know. I had some weird things happening with my alarm yesterday as well. I locked my car. Went back and hit the unlock button. As soon as my car unlocked it would immediatly relock all the doors and I couldn't get in. Then I took my hand and reached in through my partially rolled down window and moved the locked door to the unlock position. This would normally get my car to blare out but instead nothing. then i tried to unlock the passenger door for my work buddy and it kept locking until I started the car. I have no idea WTH happened. All I could think of was that it was the heat (first warm day in MN in a LONG time) or that somebody may have set it off and not it was acting wacky to let me know. I sure hope it doesn't start acting like yours cumalot. That would blow (no pun intended)
Old 05-30-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by TheNip73
I don't know. I had some weird things happening with my alarm yesterday as well. I locked my car. Went back and hit the unlock button. As soon as my car unlocked it would immediatly relock all the doors and I couldn't get in. Then I took my hand and reached in through my partially rolled down window and moved the locked door to the unlock position. This would normally get my car to blare out but instead nothing. then i tried to unlock the passenger door for my work buddy and it kept locking until I started the car. I have no idea WTH happened. All I could think of was that it was the heat (first warm day in MN in a LONG time) or that somebody may have set it off and not it was acting wacky to let me know. I sure hope it doesn't start acting like yours cumalot. That would blow (no pun intended)

I got that problem too from time to time. I unlocked the doors and it would mysteriously locked back the doors. I don't know, maybe cars have a mind of its own...i.e.Christine.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:50 PM

Hey Mike, when you changed your horns, did you ahve to reground anything? I had a similar prob with my alarm going off for no reason. The wind would blow and set it off. I later found out that i had a loose ground wire and the slightest movement to the car would trigger it. When teh ground is disconnected, its like someone just snipped the wiring.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Hey Mike, when you changed your horns, did you ahve to reground anything? I had a similar prob with my alarm going off for no reason. The wind would blow and set it off. I later found out that i had a loose ground wire and the slightest movement to the car would trigger it. When teh ground is disconnected, its like someone just snipped the wiring.
Hm...I'll look into that. Thanks Sinclair.

Btw, WRX? Wow, you just got it? Nice car!
Old 04-25-2003, 12:19 PM

So Mike, di dyou evAR get this fixed?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:27 AM

I know this thread was in the grave, but for those who still have the problem, I was able to fix my problem.
The unlock/quick re-lock reaction can be caused by a few things, but I noticed that my symptons were caused by the passenger door.
I disassembled the door (i.e., took off door panel) to get to the door lock. I greased the bars that connect to the door-lock switch, lubricated the metal rods, and greased the latch mechanism. The reason that it unlocks and then locks quickly is because the internal switch (inside the passenger door-lock button) is being activated to "close" as it meets resistance in the door-lock/unlock button when you use your remote. The cause is due to the door-lock/unlock button not being able to move freely. It is jammed or stuck as it tries to open, so you must free up whatever is preventing free movement. A little brains and some grease should free it right up.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Synki
So Mike, di dyou evAR get this fixed?

Talk about digging up an old post. Yes I did fixed it. It was a bad ground.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Talk about digging up an old post. Yes I did fixed it. It was a bad ground.
I knew it. Damn I'm good.