4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

shaved antenna and molding???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002 | 02:19 PM

shaved antenna and molding???

lookin to shave my antenna, side door moldings and my trunk keyhole. does anyone know about how much for each and what kind of antenna to get?? thank you
Old 05-30-2002 | 04:05 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: shaved antenna and molding???

Originally posted by Black96max
lookin to shave my antenna, side door moldings and my trunk keyhole. does anyone know about how much for each and what kind of antenna to get?? thank you

The prices will be very high. The whole trunk will have to be repainted, all four doors will have to be repainted and the rear quarter panel will need to be painted and blended. The end result is nice but it is bucks. I can't really give you a price but my guess is in the $1000 range +/-. As for antennas, you can go 1.) Roof mount (ex. VW/Audi Fuba, Zendar, etc.), 2.) A hidden antenna in the A-Pillar, or 3.) If you only listen to FM, just stick with your built-in windshield antenna. I did 3 for a while, then bought a Fuba and recently bought a Zendar. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2002 | 04:13 PM
Honda Convert!

WEll it should be about 100$ to do the antenna and 75$ to 100$ for the Key hole but the side door moldings are expensive cause either they are going to have to do a custom fab for the doors or you are going to have to get donor doors to use. If your still confused ill explain it to you more, my best friend is a body man so i know pretty much anything he knows. just send me a pm.

Bruce
Old 05-30-2002 | 04:26 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

Originally posted by papasmurf

WEll it should be about 100$ to do the antenna and 75$ to 100$ for the Key hole but the side door moldings are expensive cause either they are going to have to do a custom fab for the doors or you are going to have to get donor doors to use. If your still confused ill explain it to you more, my best friend is a body man so i know pretty much anything he knows. just send me a pm.

Bruce
Custom fab? Donor doors?
Old 05-30-2002 | 04:42 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

Originally posted by ptatohed

Custom fab? Donor doors?
Ok you use the donor doors skins to make patches where the indents are instead of using 1800lbs of bondo like most body guys, this is a trick that reall good body people use they also use it to shave door handels as well. If still confused let me know.

Bruce
Old 05-30-2002 | 05:27 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

Ok you use the donor doors skins to make patches where the indents are instead of using 1800lbs of bondo like most body guys, this is a trick that reall good body people use they also use it to shave door handels as well. If still confused let me know.

Bruce
I am very confused. All they will do is remove the doorguard, fill in the little holes and repaint the doors. Just like the trunk and antenna. I don't know what you mean by 'fab' or 'donor' or 'skins'. It isn't that complicated.
Old 05-30-2002 | 05:50 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

I am very confused. All they will do is remove the doorguard, fill in the little holes and repaint the doors. Just like the trunk and antenna. I don't know what you mean by 'fab' or 'donor' or 'skins'. It isn't that complicated.
Are you talking about making you doors completely shaved minus the door handels, cause under the side moldings there are indents and the side moldings are only held on by 3-M sticky tape you can take those off by your self, but if you want the indents flat like the rest of the door thats where all that crazyness comes in to play.

Bruce
Old 05-30-2002 | 05:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

Are you talking about making you doors completely shaved minus the door handels, cause under the side moldings there are indents and the side moldings are only held on by 3-M sticky tape you can take those off by your self, but if you want the indents flat like the rest of the door thats where all that crazyness comes in to play.

Bruce
I see what you are saying. No, not the actual groove. Just the doorguards. And no, they aren't held on by just tape. Like I said, they have little holes behind them that need to be filled in. And I don't think he meant the groove. That would look silly to get rid of that in the doors since the groove goes around the whole car. But yes, you're right, if someone did want to 'kill' their groove, that would be nuts.
Old 05-30-2002 | 07:35 PM
Honda Convert!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

I see what you are saying. No, not the actual groove. Just the doorguards. And no, they aren't held on by just tape. Like I said, they have little holes behind them that need to be filled in. And I don't think he meant the groove. That would look silly to get rid of that in the doors since the groove goes around the whole car. But yes, you're right, if someone did want to 'kill' their groove, that would be nuts.
Ok got ya, yeah well thats what im about to do is get rid of the grove all the way around, plus im planing on getting the s-type kit and phase 2 fenders and molding it all in and im also thinking about getting the r-34 headlights and taillights, what do you think.

Bruce
Old 05-31-2002 | 04:23 AM

Antenna Shave

I'm thinking of shaving my antenna also. I'm thinking of installing one of those new mercedes stubby antenna's. A real one that works, not one of those stick on ones. Anybody know where I can get one besides going to a Mercedes dealer. thanks
Old 05-31-2002 | 08:02 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

Ok got ya, yeah well thats what im about to do is get rid of the grove all the way around, plus im planing on getting the s-type kit and phase 2 fenders and molding it all in and im also thinking about getting the r-34 headlights and taillights, what do you think.

Bruce
Not quite sure what a s-type kit is. But, yeah, that sounds sick. I have thought of killing the groove too but that seems like a lot of work. I used to be into all the shaving/looks stuff but I'm kinda changing towards performance/speed as I get older. I do at least want to shave my doorguards and windshield squirters though. Good luck to you, it sounds like you've got great plans.

P.s. Ever think of shaving your doorhandles? I'm torn on that.
Old 05-31-2002 | 09:30 AM

My Max is dark red, i was thinkin about painting the rear trunk key hole with some touch up paint so it will match the color, I know a few people have done this on black, but i dont know about red, im a little weary
Old 05-31-2002 | 09:57 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: shaved antenna and molding???

Originally posted by AltezzaMikeGTR

My Max is dark red, i was thinkin about painting the rear trunk key hole with some touch up paint so it will match the color, I know a few people have done this on black, but i dont know about red, im a little weary
Not a bad idea. I'd 'test paint' something and hold it up to your car. If it matches close, go for it. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2002 | 10:00 AM

paintscratch.com - get sum of the paint and color in your keyholes, doesnt look bad at all on dark colored cars
Old 05-31-2002 | 12:21 PM

Re: Antenna Shave

Originally posted by elcid
I'm thinking of shaving my antenna also. I'm thinking of installing one of those new mercedes stubby antenna's. A real one that works, not one of those stick on ones. Anybody know where I can get one besides going to a Mercedes dealer. thanks
First of all, to shave my antenna was $400 bucks, not $100. (except I didnt pay for it)

Secondly, I looked into getting a antenna from a MB CLK430 (the stubby roof mounted one) but that is for GPS, not FM. So it will not work. Our Maximas still have a rear window antenna (from what I hear) and if you leave the wire running the length of the car you will still have FM reception. However, it wont be as good and you loose AM.