4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help on building my upper piece of my intake to get rid of the resonator.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 09:00 AM

Help on building my upper piece of my intake to get rid of the resonator.

Hi, i want to make the upper peice myself. Ok i want to know how poeple make the holes for the hoses? Drill? OR did you guys cut it by hobby knife. Wat size drills for the holes if you used drills. How did you attach the nipple? just stick it in. And for the brass barb? Also wat sizes for the hoses should i get? Thanks for any help.. I want to do these, want the extra noise. And is this safe for my engine? WOuld the pipe mess up my car some how? Thanks
Old 06-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I built one for mine a little while ago.

Here's a list of materials:

4" piece of 3" aluminum tubing
3" piece of electrical conduit (get one the same size as the rear hose)
Breather to replace the front hose
Solder

All I did was find a drill bit that would slide into the electrical conduit and drill a hole in the 3" tubing and soldered the electrical conduit to that hole. Then take the nipple piece out of the stock resonator. Drill another hole for the nipple to slide through. Insert it from the inside and slide the same holder that held it on the stock one over the nipple, from the outside. Make sure its snug. I hammered mine flat before I slid it over the nipple piece. You can use other materials but this is what I had lying around. Took about 30 min. and it works good.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:21 AM
Kevlo for President

Re: I built one for mine a little while ago.

Originally posted by BSwithTF
Here's a list of materials:

4" piece of 3" aluminum tubing
3" piece of electrical conduit (get one the same size as the rear hose)
Breather to replace the front hose
Solder

All I did was find a drill bit that would slide into the electrical conduit and drill a hole in the 3" tubing and soldered the electrical conduit to that hole. Then take the nipple piece out of the stock resonator. Drill another hole for the nipple to slide through. Insert it from the inside and slide the same holder that held it on the stock one over the nipple, from the outside. Make sure its snug. I hammered mine flat before I slid it over the nipple piece. You can use other materials but this is what I had lying around. Took about 30 min. and it works good.

u got a pic dude
Old 06-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll try to get some pics.

This is on my wife's '96. I can't post attachments so when I get it I'll try to e-mail them to you guys. It's still bare aluminum color right now but I may paint it in the future. She hasn't picked an accent color yet.