4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fog Lights for 95 GLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 08:59 AM
Mark's Max

I have the Maxima GLE and I want to add fog lights to the car. However, I believe that in this model it may not be possible. It looks like I would have to cut out the area for the fog lights to go. Should I go to a Nissan dealership and have them try to do it, or should I try to go to a side guy. I think it would look amazing on the car. Give me suggestions......

Old 12-06-2000, 09:25 AM
Wayne

It not hard, I did it myself and I have a 96 GLE. The hardest part was cutting out the opening(use something sharp). If your getting the OEM foglights its easy the car is already prewired. The Dealer wants $ 75.00 dollors to do the job, its took me about an hour.

Old 12-06-2000, 09:39 AM

Fog light install

I bought a kit from Courtesy Nissan (about $180), and I installed the kit on my 95 GLE earlier this year. Since the car is prewired, it's not too bad of an install--change your turn signal stalk, put in a relay for the foglight, cut out the front bumper fascia, put in the bracket, wire up the foglights, and then aim them. To be realistic about the time to do the job, I would plan on putting in about 3-4 hrs to do a good job. The hardest part is cutting the front bumper fascia, if you hurry and mess up, there's not much you can do about it--so TAKE your time and use a VERY sharp cutting tool. I did some sanding of my cuts so that edges looked smooth, then painted over the cut areas (since the bumper plastic is black, and I had a white car). There are cutting templates to help you cut your bumper fascia, which is composed of 1/8" thick soft plastic. But the cuts definitely require some skill and patience to make in a 95-96 Maxima. It also helps to look at how the 95-96 SE's are cut before you start altering your bumper. (FYI for the 97-99 GXE/GLE, they are so easy to do since there's 2 simple cuts to do on the bumper, and whole install seriously only takes a little over an hour).

However, if you decide that it's above your ability or don't want to mess up on your car, let a professional body that you trust do it. In the end, the OEM foglights will make your car look very sporty, and definitely helps out w/ night driving. Best of luck.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:43 AM

And if what it really is $75 for installing the OEM foglights as Wayne says, then I would have the dealer do it--if they mess up on cutting your bumper, they get to replace it. I think that $75 is a small price to pay for some insurance. But if you're an avid DIY-er w/ experience on doing these type of things, it's sort of fun putting the foglights on yourself.
Old 12-06-2000, 09:46 AM

This is alls you got to do boss >>

Originally posted by Mark's Max
I have the Maxima GLE and I want to add fog lights to the car. However, I believe that in this model it may not be possible. It looks like I would have to cut out the area for the fog lights to go. Should I go to a Nissan dealership and have them try to do it, or should I try to go to a side guy. I think it would look amazing on the car. Give me suggestions......
Call up Courtesy Nissan in Texas, tell them what you need and they'll send you everything you need, for a discount. Instructions should be included. If not, check out this link:

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~cchiu1/fogs.html

Old 12-06-2000, 10:23 AM
Wayne

Say your money. Take your time and do it your self, its not hard.

Old 12-06-2000, 12:54 PM

USE SEARCH on www.maxima.org!

Originally posted by Mark's Max
I typed "add fog" in search and found this:

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...?threadid=8976

We have covered this.

I hate to keep harping on this, but all you "lurkers" out there keep asking the same 5 Qs over and over. You can have more info if you just look for it!

Jack

Old 12-06-2000, 02:50 PM
IcY pRayr

how do u cut that fog light put??

aint that plastic?..
if u cut it wouldnt it be uneven....

Old 12-06-2000, 04:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by IcY pRayr
how do u cut that fog light put??

aint that plastic?..
if u cut it wouldnt it be uneven....

The kit probably comes with trim pieces that cover the edges of the openings.
Old 12-06-2000, 04:31 PM

1) JacksMax has a point, but. . . 2) Fog light trim pieces

1) I definitely agree w/ JacksMax statement about using the search engine for finding topics already discussed before posting a new post. Something should be done by the administrators to automatically email EVERY new member that signs about the rules on 1) using the forum (i.e. no flaming people, your rating, etc.), and 2) that they try to utilize the useful search engine to find out what they're lookin for, so that there aren't useless posts that people will just glance over.

However, I think Mark's Max has a very valid question. The 97-99 GLE/GXE have a VERY simpified process in installing the OEM fog lights, however, in the 95-96 GLE/GXE, the different bumper fascia presents unique problems, and it isn't a five minute job cutting a simple bumper bar that's about 1/2 tall and 1/8" thick. It's more like doing surgery on a large piece of plastic that will run you a few hundred bucks for a new bumper cover, if you mess up badly. His concerns are valid.

2) Back to the uneveness of the cut that could potentially be produced, Michah95GLE is correct, there are trim pieces to cover your cut edge openings. However, if you do spend enough time in cutting, you won't have to use the trim pieces. Using factory touchup paint (again applied carefully) over your cut areas can also help mask any areas that you may have accidently slipped over and cut.