4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lights turn on, radio etc. but not starter... help?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lights turn on, radio etc. but not starter... help?!

Ok, this happened to me last year too, so i am concerned that something is causing my batteries to die.

I am able to get power from the battery, I can turn on headlights, radio, everything that runs off the battery, but the starter will not engage. If i let some jumper cables charge the battery for about 5 min from another car, it starts ok. I am pretty sure the battery is dead, but if not, what else could it be and why does it keep causing my batteries to die?

btw, once the car is started, it runs fine, so i am pretty sure it is not the alternator...
Old 06-28-2002, 08:24 PM

Re: Lights turn on, radio etc. but not starter... help?!

Originally posted by Miasma
Ok, this happened to me last year too, so i am concerned that something is causing my batteries to die.

I am able to get power from the battery, I can turn on headlights, radio, everything that runs off the battery, but the starter will not engage. If i let some jumper cables charge the battery for about 5 min from another car, it starts ok. I am pretty sure the battery is dead, but if not, what else could it be and why does it keep causing my batteries to die?

btw, once the car is started, it runs fine, so i am pretty sure it is not the alternator...
It could be the starter. Our 4th generations are proned to have bad starters. The solenoid tends to "stick" all the time.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:37 PM

well, i hear a tick when i turn the key to ignigion (just one, not many ticks) so i think the solenoid is engaging, but i am not 100% sure what the tick is, the starter does not engage though.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:22 PM

well, i hear a tick when i turn the key to ignigion (just one, not many ticks) so i think the solenoid is engaging, but i am not 100% sure what the tick is, the starter does not engage though.
"Joggle" the key while trying to start the ignition. The "ticking" you're hearing is the solenoid "sticking". It is not turning. Joggling the key sometimes "frees" it up.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:44 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

EXACT problem my celica has. I replaced the starter and after about 9 months, the problem came back. Funny thing about this problem was it wasn't only the starter that had the problem... i had an aftermarket alarm system. The alarm system connected to the starter wires so that it would cut the power to the alarm in some relay when the alarm was on. So... the mechanic said it was a starter problem... even tho it would start IMMEDIATELY when jumped. He replaced the starter and guess what... CLICK CLICK... the new starter still clicked!! Then what we did was wire a starter button directly to the starter (u turn key into ignition and press button) and VOILA the car started immediately. I'm guessing the alarm's starter relay was bad? It was affected when outside temp was hot.

9 months later (now) the car has begun its *clicking* disease. This problem only happens its hot underneath the hood (hot summer day, or car was driven for long period of time). I'm not sure what's up w/ the car. My brother drives my old car now and i feel hecka bad because its summer and the freakin starter isn't working. It does turn on after several *joggles* (press starter button continuously till it starts to turn the engine).
Old 06-29-2002, 10:31 PM

well, i ended up replacing the starter, i dont think my prob is the same as your celica, i just got one tick and know it was not the alarm (factory alarm has starter interrupt but i just know it was not the prob).

anyway, i am getting my real alarm installed on tues

thanks guys!