4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some advise on subwoofers for my '96 MAX.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some advise on subwoofers for my '96 MAX.

I have the BOSE System on my '96 Max, but would like to add a sub or couple to it. I'm not sure which sub would be ideal for this BOSE System. I'm not sure which size I should get and the ideal wattage for it. Or should I need to change the CD Reciever? If so, which CD Reciever? What is the differece between those 2-4-8-ohm? Some even has dual ohms, does it performs better? And hope to get some nice advises from all ya bass-lovers. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2002, 01:28 PM

get one 12 inch in a sealed bbox....save space and sounds better than 2 10's
Old 06-29-2002, 01:35 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

If you were to add subs, i believe u have to change the amp too...

I have 2 12's JL subs in the box sittin in my room. I wanted to add those to the maxima but i think i need amps or whatnot. I can't just hook em up straight to the BOSE amp right?
Old 06-29-2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
If you were to add subs, i believe u have to change the amp too...

I have 2 12's JL subs in the box sittin in my room. I wanted to add those to the maxima but i think i need amps or whatnot. I can't just hook em up straight to the BOSE amp right?
no, you can't hook up your subs directly to your Bose system. the Bose system is 1 ohm while most car audio is 4 ohm. this would mean you would fry your Bose amps. but what you can do, not the best sound though, is to buy an amp with line in capabilities. you would get the signal from the amps, but not the power. your best bet is just to replace everything... head unit, component speakers (front and rear), and buy a couple of amps for your new components and sub(s). as far as recomendations for subs... its really up to you and what kind of music you listen too. for deep bass, a 12 would be good in about a 1.5 sq/ft box... give or take some depending on the sub. if you like tight, hard hitting bass, i like 10's for that. JL Audio are great subs... so are Boston Acustics... but they are both a bit pricey.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by JMAXIMA

no, you can't hook up your subs directly to your Bose system. the Bose system is 1 ohm while most car audio is 4 ohm. this would mean you would fry your Bose amps. but what you can do, not the best sound though, is to buy an amp with line in capabilities. you would get the signal from the amps, but not the power. your best bet is just to replace everything... head unit, component speakers (front and rear), and buy a couple of amps for your new components and sub(s). as far as recomendations for subs... its really up to you and what kind of music you listen too. for deep bass, a 12 would be good in about a 1.5 sq/ft box... give or take some depending on the sub. if you like tight, hard hitting bass, i like 10's for that. JL Audio are great subs... so are Boston Acustics... but they are both a bit pricey.
Thanks for the input. I read the faq and all... still wasn't clear about how the Bose system works but ure explanation helped.

Oh well, i like the Bose system... don't wanna mess aroudn w/ audio. My older car had the best audio setup and i wasn't too dissapointed w/ my maxima's system. I can live with it =)