4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Helpfull B-Pipe Installation Tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Helpfull B-Pipe Installation Tip

When removing the 1,000 lb factory B-pipe be sure to keep the rear center support that attaches to the body of the car and spans the exhaust channel in place. I had the painful expeirence of what felt like a 1,000 lbs come crashing down on my manhood after I cut the last bolt connecting the b-pipe to the cat.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:19 PM
Sin

Re: Helpfull B-Pipe Installation Tip

Originally posted by speedtrip
When removing the 1,000 lb factory B-pipe be sure to keep the rear center support that attaches to the body of the car and spans the exhaust channel in place. I had the painful expeirence of what felt like a 1,000 lbs come crashing down on my manhood after I cut the last bolt connecting the b-pipe to the cat.
LOL!!! That's a great story. Whenever I work on exhausts, I usually leave things hung up till the very end, and if I'm worried it won't hang safely, I use wire to tie up the exhaust. But that's great warning.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:20 PM

Oh no, the nutless wonder has a VI and now a b pipe. Do you think you'll dyno again w/ the freer flowing exhaust?
Old 06-30-2002, 07:26 PM

OOPS
Old 07-01-2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Oh no, the nutless wonder has a VI and now a b pipe. Do you think you'll dyno again w/ the freer flowing exhaust?
Yes I see a trip EIP in my future. I also put on a carsound cat when I did the B-pipe install. I would like to test the monsterflow filter vs the K&N air filter just like BEJAY1 just did.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:37 PM

Yes I see a trip EIP in my future. I also put on a carsound cat when I did the B-pipe install. I would like to test the monsterflow filter vs the K&N air filter just like BEJAY1 just did.
What kind of B Pipe did you get and how much was it?
Old 07-01-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by DCmax

What kind of B Pipe did you get and how much was it?
Warpspeed and $150 + shipping.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:48 PM

Warpspeed and $150 + shipping.
w/out resonator correct?

How much louder than stock is your new setup?
Old 07-01-2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by DCmax

w/out resonator correct?

How much louder than stock is your new setup?
Yes I got the B-pipe without the resonator. My exhaust is louder now but no where near as loud as a aftermarket performance muffler. I can hear the exhaust at idle inside the car but not in normal driving. At WOT it's slightly louder than the air intake. The exhaust is loud enough to satisfy the enthusiast in me but I don't have to worry about waking the neighbors up at night.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:05 AM

Yes I got the B-pipe without the resonator. My exhaust is louder now but no where near as loud as a aftermarket performance muffler. I can hear the exhaust at idle inside the car but not in normal driving. At WOT it's slightly louder than the air intake. The exhaust is loud enough to satisfy the enthusiast in me but I don't have to worry about waking the neighbors up at night.
speedtrip,

did you notice any performace gains with the WSP bpipe? i'm currently doing a bpipe comparison and am looking for some feedback. thanks!
Old 09-14-2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by j_bryan

speedtrip,

did you notice any performace gains with the WSP bpipe? i'm currently doing a bpipe comparison and am looking for some feedback. thanks!
I ordered my 3 weeks ago so I soon as I get it I'll can tell you what my experience was.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So you're saying that a Maxima without an exhaust weighs like 2000 lbs? j/k

Anyways, I guess this is another effective contraceptive technique. If you hate condoms, then drop an exhaust on your jewels

DW

Old 09-14-2002, 08:57 PM

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting the b-pipe with the resonator aside from it baing quieter. Does the resonator affect performance? I'm new at this aspect of the exhaust system.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by athlon omega
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting the b-pipe with the resonator aside from it baing quieter. Does the resonator affect performance? I'm new at this aspect of the exhaust system.
i'm no expert, but from what i've read, the resonator does not impact performance; it just reduces noise and, of course, costs a little extra $
Old 09-15-2002, 12:39 AM

i'm no expert, but from what i've read, the resonator does not impact performance; it just reduces noise and, of course, costs a little extra $
I have the WSP b pipe w/ the resonator and it definitely helps. I prefer the resonated over the non too. Just my .02 Also, if you do the install plan on being patient. I am still trying to get the exhaust completely "centered" and aligned in my car. It clangs every now and then. I just speed up then. hehe
Old 09-15-2002, 12:58 AM

I have the WSP b pipe w/ the resonator and it definitely helps. I prefer the resonated over the non too. Just my .02 Also, if you do the install plan on being patient. I am still trying to get the exhaust completely "centered" and aligned in my car. It clangs every now and then. I just speed up then. hehe

yeah i did some pricing and the WSP seems to be one of the cheapest bpipes available for the 4th gen--even w/ the resonator. cattman is supposed to be coming out w/ a bpipe but it's $255, even more than stillen.

do you have the wsp Y too?
Old 09-15-2002, 01:26 AM

Yeah Jay, I originally got just the WSP aluminized, mandrel bent, y pipe. A few months later the hanger attachment on the stock b pipe broke off so I figured I'd replace it. To replace it, I thought it would be an eaiser install if I replaced the cat too. So I have a WSP y, Carsound cat, WSP b (w/ resonator), and the stock muffler. It sounds nice, pretty close to stock but man does it pull. I think I probably got the most benefit from replacing the 135,000 factory cat. On the highway my car just wants to keep on going. I would say get the resonator. The locals around here w/o the resonator and w/ the factory muffler sound horrible imho. It might sound good w/o resonator and a better muffler. I like stealth though.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:21 AM

Yeah Jay, I originally got just the WSP aluminized, mandrel bent, y pipe. A few months later the hanger attachment on the stock b pipe broke off so I figured I'd replace it. To replace it, I thought it would be an eaiser install if I replaced the cat too. So I have a WSP y, Carsound cat, WSP b (w/ resonator), and the stock muffler. It sounds nice, pretty close to stock but man does it pull. I think I probably got the most benefit from replacing the 135,000 factory cat. On the highway my car just wants to keep on going. I would say get the resonator. The locals around here w/o the resonator and w/ the factory muffler sound horrible imho. It might sound good w/o resonator and a better muffler. I like stealth though.
hehe stealth indeed! speedtrip did the same thing--replaced his cat and bpipe at the same time. sounds like a good plan. how much did you drop for the cat?? when my muffler goes, i think i might try out the 2k1 muffler. hopefully i can replicate the gains bejay had when he switched to the 2k1 stock muffler.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:17 AM

I got an e-mail from Cattman explaining his B pipe. He said that his b pipe will have a resonator with the least amount of restriciton because of the many more small holes in the resonator section, when compared to others. With his pipe, you get the best of both worlds, a quiet b pipe b/c of the resonator, and no loss in power from the numerous micro fine holes in the resonator.

He also said that the entire system worked best for a Y pipe. If you get the cattman y pipe, get his whole catback system as well, the b pipe and his muffler.

He stated his argument well and he didn't bash the other products by name.

Just my 2 cents,

DW

yeah i did some pricing and the WSP seems to be one of the cheapest bpipes available for the 4th gen--even w/ the resonator. cattman is supposed to be coming out w/ a bpipe but it's $255, even more than stillen.

do you have the wsp Y too?
Old 09-15-2002, 11:38 AM

how much did you drop for the cat??
The cat was about $110 or lower, I can't remember. I don't know what I'd do if my stock muffler goes - the 5th gen idea has its supporters and doubters. I've seen Bejays dyno and that looks nice. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:52 PM

speedtrip,

I did not see an improvement in et but my trap speed increased by 0.88 mph. All my best runs are listed over in the 1/4 mi forum.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:24 AM

thanks for all the feedback guys.

i've been happy with the cattman y that I have, even though it was a bit pricey.

DW- did he mention when his bpipes are expected to be available?
Old 09-16-2002, 10:46 AM

No word on the ETA. It has been "coming soon" for a while now

DW

thanks for all the feedback guys.

i've been happy with the cattman y that I have, even though it was a bit pricey.

DW- did he mention when his bpipes are expected to be available?