4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATTN: Daniel B. or other mechanics..help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 08:24 PM

I need help...it seems that once it got cold I am having trouble start my car. I would turn the key and there would be no sound. After 15 sec or so the car would start. What could possibly be the problem? This has been goin on for a while and today it did not start at all. I needed a jump. So I guess I should get a new battery? What should I look for in gettin a new battery and how do I install?
Old 12-07-2000, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sounds like the battery but I'm not an expert. When looking for a battery just try to get one with the most CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) you can afford... around 800 would be nice. =)

Chris
Old 12-07-2000, 08:55 PM

changing your battery should be easy...

just make sure you do not touch the poles of the battery...
autozone should have list of compatible battery
and of course you could try searching in the web for some awesome batts......they used to have hawker genesis floating around somewhere...I dunno if this still exist...
I might recall the name wrong....but that battery is small and light and have enough juice for our car...

http://www.hepi.com/

before you throw your battery...check its voltage...if it holds 12 volt then your battery is not dead....
maybe something else is not working right in your car...
anyhow...
good luck
Old 12-07-2000, 10:08 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

How old is your battery? 12.0V is no good for battery. 12.6V is a full charge so you should be looking for around 12.6V. You should also check your charging system voltage and parastic drain for possible causes.(if any) If you have a multimeter you should be able to do all of these tests.
Old 12-07-2000, 10:24 PM

CKNY is correct. You should be worried about current not voltage. You can put a few flashlight batteries together to make 12 volts, but it certainly won't start the car. That's why if you take it to a auto parts store that sells batteries they'll check your old battery by hooking it up to a device (sorry the official name eludes me...battery checker?) This device puts a heavy load on the battery and measures how much current it can produce at 12V. If the current falls below a certain value (the store should have this info in a computer/book) then the battery is considered bad and you need a new one. You can get an indication of your batteries health by voltage, but voltage drops logrithmically - meaning it'll drop veerry sloowly then Bam it dies. Still, if you have a multimeter, a simple check as TurboMax suggests would certainly help and save you a trip to the parts store.

Taking your battery out and installing a new one is easy. Like Zprime says, watch out and do not touch the poles at the same time as you detach the cables. The battery is typically held down by a metal bar that's held down by a couple of nuts. Heck you can drive your Maxima to the store and pull out the battery in the parking lot! Most auto parts places that sell batteries check old batteries for free.
Old 12-08-2000, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
I need help...it seems that once it got cold I am having trouble start my car. I would turn the key and there would be no sound. After 15 sec or so the car would start. What could possibly be the problem? This has been goin on for a while and today it did not start at all. I needed a jump. So I guess I should get a new battery? What should I look for in gettin a new battery and how do I install?
If "a jump" with booster cables enabled your engine to crank at normal speed and start readily, that means your starter motor is healthy. You may have
- a worn-out battery
- a discharged battery (possible sign of a weak alternator)
- loose or dirty battery terminal connections

Many auto parts stores offer a no-cost charging system test. This is done with an electronic tester and takes only two minutes. Please have this test done. If you need a new battery, buy one with the most Cranking Amps.