5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

looking for better handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 10:05 PM

looking for better handling

I've read numerous postings concerning various combinations of shocks and struts. I have to plead ignorance to some of the terminology being used (e.g. ground control, although I can guess). I'm looking to improve the handling of my car (already have an FSTB and RSB) but I'm not concerned with "the drop" nor am I concerned with the wheel well look (although I completely agree that the 3-series and IS300 look better because of this). I'm willing to live with a stiffer ride (presuming that is the only way to get better handling) but I have to admit that the current setup is pretty stiff as it is. Can anyone point me to some good info on how to do this? I realize better tires are another option that I can consider but I'm interested in a little education here. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

although it's about sentras, there's lots to learn here
http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/suspension.php

Jae
Old 07-26-2002, 06:59 AM

Re: looking for better handling

Originally posted by ajahearn
I've read numerous postings concerning various combinations of shocks and struts. I have to plead ignorance to some of the terminology being used (e.g. ground control, although I can guess). I'm looking to improve the handling of my car (already have an FSTB and RSB) but I'm not concerned with "the drop" nor am I concerned with the wheel well look (although I completely agree that the 3-series and IS300 look better because of this). I'm willing to live with a stiffer ride (presuming that is the only way to get better handling) but I have to admit that the current setup is pretty stiff as it is. Can anyone point me to some good info on how to do this? I realize better tires are another option that I can consider but I'm interested in a little education here. Thanks in advance.
Stock is stiff but sloppy. Springs will help tremendously. H&R to keep stock feel Eibach for stiffer ride. Both are a bid improvement over stock though.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: looking for better handling

Originally posted by ajahearn
some poeple here just change the shocks and still give you a stiffer ride and better performnace without lowering ur car. But a lot of people here just change the springs, which I dun recommand.

Rememer...it is the spring that lowers the car, but the shocks and springs combo will provide you the performance.

you can tell weather a car just blown shocks with lowering/cut/heat spring by watching them bouncing 4 times after running over a small bump on the freeway. Imaging one of those go into a turn.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:17 AM

Since you have the FTSB and RSB, I would recommend either the Eibach pro-kit or the H&R springs coupled with the Tokico Blues (20% stiffer than stock)struts.

I have the Eibach's/with KYB GR-2 struts (only one's available at the time) on my Altima 5 speed and absolutely love them. The drop is nice and has a more aggressive look without being ricey and is much stiffer. The handling is superb.

On my Maxima GLE, I will probaly go with the H&R since the word is that they are similar to stock in ride and will eliminate that awfully looking wheel gap. The word on the Eibach's is a harsher stiffer ride (read more European) in the .org forums. The Eibach's settle to 1.5" like the H&R's after a while.

To sum it up, I have different needs for the two vehicles, but I want a better look and handling.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:21 AM
AIX

what wheel gap are you guys talking about? I'm going to assume that it's the "gap" b/t the wheels and the car body itself?
Old 07-26-2002, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by AIX
what wheel gap are you guys talking about? I'm going to assume that it's the "gap" b/t the wheels and the car body itself?
That's correct.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:45 AM
AIX

thanks for verifying that information - but is the wheel gap that sloppy looking? - does anyone have any pics posted where the gap is lessened?
Old 07-26-2002, 12:30 PM

wheel gap

Originally posted by AIX
thanks for verifying that information - but is the wheel gap that sloppy looking? - does anyone have any pics posted where the gap is lessened?
You only need to compare a stock 3-series or IS300 with a Max and you can see their wheel gap is about 1" whereas ours is more like 2-3".
Old 07-26-2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by AIX
before

after

search around....we have a lot of this before-after pictures.