5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 HID problem revisited

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 10:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2k2 HID problem revisited

We all know that when your alarm goes off, it flashes your HID's, which is an absolute no no (WAKE UP NISSAN)..

Well i just found out that if you have the headlights turned off, and you use the flash to pass feature (Flash your highbeams by pulling hte signal lever), it flashes the HIDS's too..

When the headlights are on, then the HID's stay on but the high beams flash..

When off, the Daytime running lights stay on and the HID;s flash..

Anybody else notice this?

I am wondering if there is a fix, TSB, recall on this matter, if not, i might just keep flashing it until it breaks then maybe when Nissan replaces my headlights, they will fix this problem!!

ED
Old 08-07-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: 2k2 HID problem revisited

Originally posted by MiniRX7
We all know that when your alarm goes off, it flashes your HID's, which is an absolute no no (WAKE UP NISSAN)..

Well i just found out that if you have the headlights turned off, and you use the flash to pass feature (Flash your highbeams by pulling hte signal lever), it flashes the HIDS's too..

When the headlights are on, then the HID's stay on but the high beams flash..

When off, the Daytime running lights stay on and the HID;s flash..

Anybody else notice this?

I am wondering if there is a fix, TSB, recall on this matter, if not, i might just keep flashing it until it breaks then maybe when Nissan replaces my headlights, they will fix this problem!!

ED
yeah... i found the fix to this.. just honk the horn.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:12 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

dont know about your 2k2

but on my 2k with 2k2 lights, if you *push* the stalk instead of pull, it will only highbeam. You just have to pull it back into the neutral position afterwards.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:24 AM

Re: dont know about your 2k2

Originally posted by TimW
but on my 2k with 2k2 lights, if you *push* the stalk instead of pull, it will only highbeam. You just have to pull it back into the neutral position afterwards.
mine wont' do anything unless the lights are on, i made it that way just incase i left the lever in the push position wihtout knowing.. i used relays for the high beams, the relays are powered by the original h4 12v wire.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:32 AM

hmmm

I cant remember why I took the relay off the H4 wire. :/ but I did kill my battery a few weeks ago. I had hit the stalk getting out of the car.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: dont know about your 2k2

Originally posted by TimW
No $hit? I'll have to check that out. I'm not much of a honker or flasher, but good to know.

Honker or flasher... That sounded pretty funny.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is the thread i need to be in.

Now all the symptoms you described happens on your 2k2? Interesting. Cause I was running into everyone of those issues when I decided which wiring scene to come up with when I was the first to install these.

Now I think from what you said it seems that Nissan changed nothing in the wiring dept of the headlights. Seems like on the 2k2s they are still doing shared power wire with two switched grounds.

Now I have solved the problem of the HIDs flashing by tapping into a switched 12V wire so it does not provide power to the HIDs until it gets 12V from this wire. BUT the problem with the HIDs also coming on when you use "flash" someone in the daytime, it also does come on. I have tried to something to re-wire that with, but at this point it is too complicated and not worth my time. It is to a point where I dont flash no one during the day. Dont know why, I just dont use the flash method, I will honk the crap out of that person.

Dixit
Old 08-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Been thinking about this situation

I have been thinking, wouldn't it be easier to just cut all power wires to the HID'S??

Then tap into the wire that goes to the headlight on on the turn signal stalk, and run relays directly to the switch..

Thereby eliminating the stupidness Nissan designed with the SECU computer....

ED
Old 08-07-2002, 07:48 PM

Re: Been thinking about this situation

Originally posted by MiniRX7
I have been thinking, wouldn't it be easier to just cut all power wires to the HID'S??

Then tap into the wire that goes to the headlight on on the turn signal stalk, and run relays directly to the switch..

Thereby eliminating the stupidness Nissan designed with the SECU computer....

ED

alot easier to just get an aftermarket alarm, flash parking lights only... since the factory does NOTHING to protect your HIDs, the only thing stastically at risk of being stolen.