5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

power loss after 4500 rpms???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 09:09 PM

power loss after 4500 rpms???

tonight i was cruising down the highway and me and my buddy smelled a strong gas odor for a half a minute and didnt know what it was. after that my frined in his 4.6l stang pulled up next to me to race him. we both punch it and my car goes but it doesnt have the same kick it usually does. i still won the race but my car felt really slow. what could the problem be MAF? variable intake? please let me know what u guys think!

will
Old 08-08-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: power loss after 4500 rpms???

Originally posted by WILLSE
tonight i was cruising down the highway and me and my buddy smelled a strong gas odor for a half a minute and didnt know what it was. after that my frined in his 4.6l stang pulled up next to me to race him. we both punch it and my car goes but it doesnt have the same kick it usually does. i still won the race but my car felt really slow. what could the problem be MAF? variable intake? please let me know what u guys think!

will
I had the same problem BUT, I have a 2k max. The problem I had was a vacuum hose came off,( I had Just put on my CAI ).Check when your motors running and see if you hear any "wissing" noises comming from your intake area.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:26 PM

If it was the MAF, you would REALLY feel the power loss. It probably wouldn't even rev above 3K or so RPMs. Is it doing this through every single gear? Sounds like yes, maybe in the cams because it does have a Variable valve system called what, VQ I think? Hopefully your timing chain isn't bad...it shouldn't be, being gear-driven but who knows? Not to sound stupid, but did you put your gas cap on all the way and tighten it? Or also maybe something is clogging your muffler, creating a lot of backpressure...I don't know.

Btw, nice kill on the 4.6 Stang. I mean, I like Fords. I drive an Explorer right now, but those things are dogs. Hell, I remember last night a friend and I were driving to KFC late at night, and a 4.6 Stang pulls up and takes off and I take off, and I swear, I hung with him, and I KNEW he was racing. You could hear the engine redline, and hear him shifting (He was a bad shifter). He'd pull a car on me after he shifted, but then once he hit redline, i'll pull right back up...very pathetic...
Old 08-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2k2..ive had that problem...way back..a few months ago Rev problem

Sound familliar?. I belive its your MAF starting to go bad!. It slowly got worse in my car..i attempted to clean the maf. It got way worse..and now my car is way lean and pinging. I suggest you remove all your "perforance mods" From the intake to your EXHAUST! I still hafta tow my car back because i just had to swap out my Random Tech high-flow cat!. DOnt waste your time
Old 08-08-2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
2k2..ive had that problem...way back..a few months ago Rev problem

Sound familliar?. I belive its your MAF starting to go bad!. It slowly got worse in my car..i attempted to clean the maf. It got way worse..and now my car is way lean and pinging. I suggest you remove all your "perforance mods" From the intake to your EXHAUST! I still hafta tow my car back because i just had to swap out my Random Tech high-flow cat!. DOnt waste your time
sounds about right but a to a smaller degree. it still revs to red line but not like it used to. i dunno. ill talk to nissan and see what they say.

will
Old 08-08-2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE

sounds about right but a to a smaller degree. it still revs to red line but not like it used to. i dunno. ill talk to nissan and see what they say.

will
yea it wasnt as bad at first..i just noticed it while i was trying to pass a Audi A4 up the mountain...but it did detoriate.. At first i was thinking I was imagining things when it "felt" slower. But it did get worse..Just please be careful what you say to the dealer...you've got the look of a souped up maxima..theyre gonna immidiately profile you..and start b*tching..but then again. You probably knew that! Good luck and keep us informed!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1

yea it wasnt as bad at first..i just noticed it while i was trying to pass a Audi A4 up the mountain...but it did detoriate.. At first i was thinking I was imagining things when it "felt" slower. But it did get worse..Just please be careful what you say to the dealer...you've got the look of a souped up maxima..theyre gonna immidiately profile you..and start b*tching..but then again. You probably knew that! Good luck and keep us informed!
u dont know the first of it with my car. many problems! they r gonna tell me that it was the intake. they have everything documented and ****. im good friends with a few of them so hopefully they can help me out!

will
Old 08-09-2002, 07:21 AM

Gas smell?

The gas smell thing is throwing me off. Have you noticed it again, or was it just on the road that 1 time? I don't think there should be a gas smell with a bad MAF unless it was running really rich. You would most likely smell that at startup no on the hwy. Also have you look over your hose connections yet?

I haven't taken my car in yet. Kyle still has my schit. He said he would probably get his car back from the dealer today. I'm putting the stock crap back in as soon as he gets it to me. I don't want a file started with this car, as it seems like there will be more problems ahead. That’s what we get for being guinea pigs with this new engine. Someone needs to make an aftermarket MAF.