5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 11:25 AM

took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

went to sequoia national park... good thing i just installed the addco rsb earlier in the week cause it really helped in the sierra mountain twisties... i had the car loaded with 4 passengers and the trunk loaded with sleeping gear (pillows and sleeping bags) and a few backpacks filled with clothes... I must say, the car took the curves almost go-cart like...not a hint of excess body roll was evident... the brakes worked well too on the downhill sections... never smelled a hint of brake smoke... I was also lucky to still have stock ride height otherwise i would have been able to clear a bump that was the access to our camp site, especially with the passengers and stuff... I did cross the bump and dip at an angle to be on the safe side... I was hesitant to take it at first because of the bumpy road conditions, dust, and tree branches that could fall and hit my max but it was either that or a few hours of driving in my commuter pickup truck that doesn't have a strong enough ac for the 100 deg plus san joaquin valley air. It survived the camping trip unscathed except for the stinkin' darn bugs. There was one interesting phenomena on the way back down the mountain... I basically coasted downhill 95% of the time while in neutral and the max's fuel consumption calculator was actually showing increasing fuel economy.... From the park exit (5000 ft elevation)the computer showed 295 miles till empty ( I was at 3/4 full). When I got down to the valley (flat level land at about 300 ft elevation) the computer showed 325 miles till empty.... I gained close to 30 miles while coasting down a 35 plus mile decsent.... I was like wow!! If i was returning to sacramento ( a 160 mile highway drive) I could practically get 425 miles out of one full tank of gas... my best ever was like 410 coming back from santa ana just south of los angeles...anyway just thought i share my maxima experience with you all... the only bad part of the trip was getting dust all over the car, wheels, and engine bay....will need to wash and wax...
Old 08-12-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

That's funny, I also went camping this weekend, but upstate NY.
And I was admiring newly put stillen kit in a nature's background.
I have few pics uploaded on my homepage.
And actually, racing through the curvy roads with my friends I wished my car was lowered. The RSB and FSTB did not do justice. But oh well.
I still have fun
Peace
Old 08-12-2002, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

Originally posted by THEKNITE
And actually, racing through the curvy roads with my friends I wished my car was lowered. The RSB and FSTB did not do justice. But oh well.
I still have fun
Peace

so you are saying your rsb and fstb didn't help at all? your car looks sweet by the way....
Old 08-12-2002, 12:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

Originally posted by koostermax

so you are saying your rsb and fstb didn't help at all? your car looks sweet by the way....
Nuh, they helped a lot I bet. Without them, i'd probably have to go half the speed i was goin. I got them around a year ago, so i'm used to them. Also i think my 18 inch 245s made a grip a lot better too.
Bottom line I'm starting to think about H&Rs and a y-pipe, as soon as i find out about legality, and inspection stuff with it.
peace
Old 08-12-2002, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

I still have fun
Peace
Where in upstate NY did you go, I used to go up around Raquette Lake all the time, actually went to the camp there too. Where abouts did you go? Just wondering....
Old 08-12-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

Originally posted by SportyMax2002

Where in upstate NY did you go, I used to go up around Raquette Lake all the time, actually went to the camp there too. Where abouts did you go? Just wondering....
Exit 16 off the Thruway. And than another road to exit 113.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: took my max camping this past weekend...(really long)

Exit 16 off the Thruway. And than another road to exit 113.
Thats pretty detailed, I was wondering what part as in names...it's cool though.