5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can a bulb be brighter than the 2k2 Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 09:40 PM

Can a bulb be brighter than the 2k2 Headlights?

A freind of mine with a Honda Civic think that he can get a bulb to put in his car that is brighter than an HID 2k2 headlight... I highly doubt he can.. Can he? He wants to bet and I bet 50....
Old 09-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Can a bulb be brighter than the 2k2 Headlights?

Originally posted by floridabornmax
A freind of mine with a Honda Civic think that he can get a bulb to put in his car that is brighter than an HID 2k2 headlight... I highly doubt he can.. Can he? He wants to bet and I bet 50....
Ummm no, but how do you plan on testing this?
Old 09-16-2002, 10:05 PM

Re: Re: Can a bulb be brighter than the 2k2 Headlights?

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Ummm no, but how do you plan on testing this?
I dont know, I guess he wants to get a bulb and put the cars side by side and just judge by looks I guess... Im thinking it should be obvious..... He is dumb
Old 09-16-2002, 10:06 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

actually, he will probably lose. He thinks that higher color temp is brighter, it is not. In fact, those purple-ish color HIDs actually start losing brightness as they go higher in the spectrum. Your 4500Ks are probably brighter than the 6000K he is talking about.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:09 AM

Re: Can a bulb be brighter than the 2k2 Headlights?

neva can a bulb be brighter then HID's that come with separate ballast. Bet the 50 bucks!
Old 09-17-2002, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: Can a bulb be brighter than the 2k2 Headlights?

Originally posted by nissanmaximas

neva can a bulb be brighter then HID's that come with separate ballast. Bet the 50 bucks!
I think im gonna do it... he said he could get a bulb to be brighter... not even a kit... Is that possible to get a bulb brighter? I would think if it was, then Nissan, Lexus, Mercedes,BMW, wouldnt be spending a ton on a HID system if a $25 bulb could be just as bright....
Old 09-17-2002, 11:55 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

sure, you could put a harness melting bulb in there that would be as bright. There are alot of factors that determine how bright it will seem. I doubt he could find a DOT approved bulb that would.

HID is really for better contrast, lower power/heat and longer life.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by TimW
sure, you could put a harness melting bulb in there that would be as bright. There are alot of factors that determine how bright it will seem. I doubt he could find a DOT approved bulb that would.

HID is really for better contrast, lower power/heat and longer life.

Well ya, it would probably be illegal but I didn't think they have a cheap halogen bulb that could emit just as strong of light as a HID system.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:58 PM

Well ya, it would probably be illegal but I didn't think they have a cheap halogen bulb that could emit just as strong of light as a HID system.
there are cheap bulbs that are brighter...but they don't put out as much light. Does that make sense? well what I mean is your HID is bright and all..and it puts a great amount of light on the road. It's possible to find a bulb that appears to be brighter but puts less light onto the road. And how are you going to tell? The housings are totally different. His civic housings have a different reflection than yours do. His may look brighter because yours is clear plastic and his has a set of plastic around it.

Haven't you ever seen people driving on the road and it appears the high beams are on? Well its the people who buy those cheap bulbs but their housings arent made for it. So the reflection is all off and it comes in your face.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
there are cheap bulbs that are brighter...but they don't put out as much light. Does that make sense? well what I mean is your HID is bright and all..and it puts a great amount of light on the road. It's possible to find a bulb that appears to be brighter but puts less light onto the road. And how are you going to tell? The housings are totally different. His civic housings have a different reflection than yours do. His may look brighter because yours is clear plastic and his has a set of plastic around it.

Haven't you ever seen people driving on the road and it appears the high beams are on? Well its the people who buy those cheap bulbs but their housings arent made for it. So the reflection is all off and it comes in your face.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I get what your saying... Your saying its a bright light shining when you look at it, but it's not very bright on the road to see?
Old 09-17-2002, 05:19 PM

I can vouch for that...

Originally posted by floridabornmax:

I get what your saying... Your saying its a bright light shining when you look at it, but it's not very bright on the road to see?
I bought some no-name HID look-alikes off ebay for $15 last year... got them, installed them and was pleased with the appearance... until I tried to drive with them at night. They were horrible.. whether it was in rain (dangerously dim), snow, fog... clear, whatever. In my dad's car, his real HID's were amazing, regardless of the weather... from the outside they looked similar brightness and color, but my bulbs were lacking in what really mattered. So in short, yes.... he can find bulbs that appear brighter, but you should take each other for a ride for the real challenge.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Scormunch240
I can vouch for that...

I bought some no-name HID look-alikes off ebay for $15 last year... got them, installed them and was pleased with the appearance... until I tried to drive with them at night. They were horrible.. whether it was in rain (dangerously dim), snow, fog... clear, whatever. In my dad's car, his real HID's were amazing, regardless of the weather... from the outside they looked similar brightness and color, but my bulbs were lacking in what really mattered. So in short, yes.... he can find bulbs that appear brighter, but you should take each other for a ride for the real challenge.
It's still hard to find bulbs that are brighter... it is rare to have them