5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

accelleration hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 08:27 PM

accelleration hesitation

I reads posts on this before, but has there been a fix yet? Mine does this pretty bad, and I only have a stillen intake.. It did it before I added the intake though.
Old 10-11-2002, 04:34 AM
john2002max

Re: accelleration hesitation

Originally posted by Subw00er
I reads posts on this before, but has there been a fix yet? Mine does this pretty bad, and I only have a stillen intake.. It did it before I added the intake though.
Mine did it at first but has went away after about 10,000 miles. now she runs guick and strong. Give it some time !

Old 10-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: accelleration hesitation

Originally posted by john2002max

Mine did it at first but has went away after about 10,000 miles. now she runs guick and strong. Give it some time !
Thats the best news I've heard in a while. I have the same problem too and I now have 9300 miles. Maybe mine will just go away too.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:47 PM

The cooler weather helps too. My Max hates hot temps.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:34 PM

So, are we like the only ones hat have this porblem? I dont see how all of the cars dont have it..
Old 10-12-2002, 09:43 PM

nice grill

Subw00er I was wonering where did you get that grill? and how much?
Old 10-12-2002, 11:07 PM

His pic says it's a Grille-Tech grille, but I didn't see one that looked like that on their website.

http://www.grille-tech.com/detail.html?prodid=106
Old 10-13-2002, 01:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Throw a UDP in there.. That'll help your lag a little bit...
Old 10-13-2002, 01:48 AM

One way to remove a minimal amount of accelerator lag is to take the slack out of the throttle cable under the hood. There is actually quite a bit of slack in the throttle cable from the factory. I guess they do it so that grandma won't mash on the gas and crash into the produce stand. It won't give you any extra HP or anything, but it will make your accelerator more responsive. Under full-throttle acceleration, I have noticed that my car (auto) pulls a little closer to redline before shifting. I guess that's just a product of more cable being pulled under acceleration.

It's very simple to do. Just locate your throttle cable (the other cable is for your cruise control) by starting your car and revving the motor a few times, while someone watches the cables. There are two nuts that are counter-screwed to control the tension on the cable. Just back the one nut off, and tighten the other one to it, and bam... you've "de-slacked" your throttle cable. 5 minutes, tops, and you'll feel the difference immediately. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE
One way to remove a minimal amount of accelerator lag is to take the slack out of the throttle cable under the hood. There is actually quite a bit of slack in the throttle cable from the factory. I guess they do it so that grandma won't mash on the gas and crash into the produce stand. It won't give you any extra HP or anything, but it will make your accelerator more responsive. Under full-throttle acceleration, I have noticed that my car (auto) pulls a little closer to redline before shifting. I guess that's just a product of more cable being pulled under acceleration.

It's very simple to do. Just locate your throttle cable (the other cable is for your cruise control) by starting your car and revving the motor a few times, while someone watches the cables. There are two nuts that are counter-screwed to control the tension on the cable. Just back the one nut off, and tighten the other one to it, and bam... you've "de-slacked" your throttle cable. 5 minutes, tops, and you'll feel the difference immediately. Hope this helps you out.
No throttle cable on 2k2 and up. All electronic.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:44 AM

Given the fact that this problem is a 3.5 issue across the board, big issue at Altima.net//////I hope Nissan addresses it soon. But from what I have seen so far from Nissan and problems resolution...they don't give a **** about the customer once he leaves the lot with his/her new car..
Old 10-13-2002, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the tip, but on my 2k2 I fear it is an electrical problem. It doesnt do it all the tiem, just every other time or so.. its strange. I will be crusing along, and then ill wanto acellerate and it will sort of hiccup. It doesnt feel or act like a mechanical problem, I think its something wrong with the motor that controls the accelleration - on these newer cars, I dont think there is a wire that goes form the pedal to the engine.. its electronic.

the grill is a grilltech grill but I cut it to size. They should have one out soon, I'm suprised its not out yet. I sent them my template to make it already.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subw00er
[B]Thanks for the tip, but on my 2k2 I fear it is an electrical problem. It doesnt do it all the tiem, just every other time or so.. its strange. I will be crusing along, and then ill wanto acellerate and it will sort of hiccup

Yes I know, that is the exact same problem we are having with the Altima....Not all of the time, some times she will take off like a bat out of hell and others....big lag
Old 10-13-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE

I dunno if you wanna do this do.. In the long run this will stretch the throttle cable and you will to get it replaced....