5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID Thiefs and National News

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 05:32 PM

HID Thiefs and National News

Tommorrow (Tuesday, October 15) World News Tonight CBS will be running a segment on the rash of HID headlight thiefs. Might be worth a watch. Maybe an interview with a org member
Old 10-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Sanduguero

Re: HID Thiefs and National News

Maybe that will really hit our insurance now that is nationally known!
well am not complaing YET
Old 10-14-2002, 06:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I really hope they don't show how the thieves are stealing our HID headlights. All we need is to give some punks an idea of how easy it is to steal them, then it will become a problem for everyone.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanman
I really hope they don't show how the thieves are stealing our HID headlights. All we need is to give some punks an idea of how easy it is to steal them, then it will become a problem for everyone.
tru dat
Old 10-14-2002, 08:40 PM

I agree with Tanman. I think that will only make the problem worse. It will give a lot of punks the idea of how they can go out and make a quick buck. Media coverage is usually more helpful than good in these kind of situations. Just look at the coverage of all the school shootings last year. If the media hadn't plastered that news on every TV in America there probabaly would not have been so many "copy-cat" incidents. Its not like they were looking for the suspects, they were already dead or caught in most cases. The media coverage was worthless in my opinion. I'd rather not even known about it.

just my $.02 worth.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:02 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by suds1
I agree with Tanman. I think that will only make the problem worse. It will give a lot of punks the idea of how they can go out and make a quick buck. Media coverage is usually more helpful than good in these kind of situations. Just look at the coverage of all the school shootings last year. If the media hadn't plastered that news on every TV in America there probabaly would not have been so many "copy-cat" incidents. Its not like they were looking for the suspects, they were already dead or caught in most cases. The media coverage was worthless in my opinion. I'd rather not even known about it.

just my $.02 worth.
Exactly "Ignorance is Bliss", Frankly the American People are Ignorant, why change anything. When has news coverage on something actually caused a dramatic change for the better? ...uh never.

Old 10-14-2002, 10:34 PM

Hey, I'm a reporter...stop picking on us!
Old 10-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Maxima06071

Hey you Dookie face!
Why don't you go chill out at you local "pokey folks" home and do a breaking news story on the bingo playoffs!
Honestly, I used to want to be a Reporter. Until so many spineless reporters, who frankly don't know jack-**** about what they're talking about, began(some where in the 3000A.D era) began spreading misinformation and basiclly started lieing and tryng to pass rumours, half-truths and general BS that I lost all faith in the "News" profession.
Oh and People who don't use their blinkers should be drug out into the street and shot!

Old 10-14-2002, 10:59 PM

buddy, you gotta chill...

For every bad reporter in the profession, there's a good one too. We don't intentionally make mistakes, but when you've got to write under deadline, bad stuff happens. We're only human. No need to get all medieval on my @$$.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:05 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by Wasim521
buddy, you gotta chill...

For every bad reporter in the profession, there's a good one too. We don't intentionally make mistakes, but when you've got to write under deadline, bad stuff happens. We're only human. No need to get all medieval on my @$$.
I really need a disclaimer.
*Please do not take anything this man says seriously.*
I honestly am never angry. Especially on the internet. I just like to rant....alot.
Sorry to offend your profession.
I am just strongly against the news media "hyping" HID theft and giving theives ideas of how to do so....when was this done before, oh yes. Anyone remember the "hype" over "Dirty Bombs."
.....FFEJ.....

Old 10-14-2002, 11:09 PM

Agreed...I hope that they don't show in depth about how to remove HIDs and stuff. That's just stupid reporting. Even I agree on that one. Might as well paint a target on our cars if they do.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by Wasim521
Agreed...I hope that they don't show in depth about how to remove HIDs and stuff. That's just stupid reporting. Even I agree on that one. Might as well paint a target on our cars if they do.
I also most certainly agree. That would be horrible.

Old 10-14-2002, 11:16 PM
lcf

this is why the use of so-called "club drugs" have more than doubled at certain clubs and more specifically all-night rave parties because of similar national coverage saying that "all you kids can buy drugs here. come and git'em!"

psh.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:09 AM
Old Timer

I don't think its that reporters try to misrepresent information, I think its more of a producer trying to present an aspect of a certain story that is going to draw the most attention whether its good or bad. You got to admit, its all about ratings. If you can grab attention, then its a money maker. Don't get me wrong, I in no way condone reporters stances on some things, but I must say, the producers are as much to blame as the reporters themselves.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:03 AM

It is all about ratings, look here, we are talking about it and that's what they want to happen.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:25 AM

When we bash reporters, we actually mean the news agencies and media in general. The reporters are the bottom rung on the propaganda machine, we're blaming them, but the entire ladder is a problem. If you live in Houston, Fox 26 and NBC 2 are the worst about over-hyping and trying to make big stories out of every problem. I can't stand watching the news on those channels.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:20 AM
swallac2

Originally posted by Tanman
When we bash reporters, we actually mean the news agencies and media in general. The reporters are the bottom rung on the propaganda machine, we're blaming them, but the entire ladder is a problem. If you live in Houston, Fox 26 and NBC 2 are the worst about over-hyping and trying to make big stories out of every problem. I can't stand watching the news on those channels.
Ya well trying being up here in Maryland listenning to all of the stations act like they have the inside scoop on this serial shooter thing. They continue to report on nothing and get the public scared to death. I agree with Wasim521, it's not always teh reporters. In these days of 24 hour news they have to fill the space somehow.

Old 10-15-2002, 07:21 AM

It's been on the CBS website for a few days.
HID Thefts
Old 10-15-2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
HID Thefts
Stupid Hondas

Old 10-15-2002, 09:22 AM

HID Thefts
My favorite part is this "He predicted that instead of raising premiums, the insurance industry will absorb the costs of stolen headlights for a year or two, while pressuring manufacturers to make them harder to steal." Right... like the insurance agency is going to absorb anything. Bwahahahahahahahahaha! I think not.

Stereodude
Old 10-15-2002, 12:12 PM

Even though it's a Honda/Acura, I still feel their pain because we are in the same position (2k2+) as them right now.
I am so scared that the lights off my car are going to get stolen one day, since I am from the main point-- North NJ.

Note: BUY TIM'S HID BOLTS! $15 relieves some tension, but not all.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:18 PM

by the way...wait time does this come on today? Eastern Time.. and is it on CBS? or like a CBS News Channel?
Old 10-15-2002, 12:41 PM

huh? world new tonight is on ABC not CBS. and yeah, what time? is it broadcast or cable news? cuz i can't seem to find the times at tvguide.com
Old 10-15-2002, 12:54 PM

I'm sorry, i guess it's not World News Tonight. It's on CBS with Dan Rather, usually on at 7:00 PM Eastern. I always get the names mixed up, but I know for sure it's CBS with Dan. It is the national news program, not local news.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:04 PM

HID Thefts
This was the same article in the Wall Street Journal last week. I guess it's making the rounds, it is from the AP newswire. Anyway, I think CBS will have another spin on it tonight.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 PM

So I suffered through 30 min. of Dan Rather, and I didn't see anything about the HIDs. I wonder if they pulled it for more relavent news? Or did I just miss it?
Old 10-15-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
So I suffered through 30 min. of Dan Rather, and I didn't see anything about the HIDs. I wonder if they pulled it for more relavent news? Or did I just miss it?
i doubt u missed it, i couldn't find it either. The Sniper news is more important though, but too much media will allow him to escape, however that will increase our odds of finding the di*k.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:39 PM

You didn't miss it. They usually use these segments on slow news days, but I guess with that sniper thing going on, they devoted alot more time to it. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ

Even though it's a Honda/Acura, I still feel their pain because we are in the same position (2k2+) as them right now.
I am so scared that the lights off my car are going to get stolen one day, since I am from the main point-- North NJ.

Note: BUY TIM'S HID BOLTS! $15 relieves some tension, but not all.
yea i am going to be paranoid about going anywhere near Wayne now, i dont think the max will ever see the willowbrook mall again
Old 10-15-2002, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by silverkorn

yea i am going to be paranoid about going anywhere near Wayne now, i dont think the max will ever see the willowbrook mall again
Wayne is like a paradise compared to the mall in paramas or jersey gardens. However, that doesn't mean willowbrook is good.

I seriously want to put highvoltage wire sensors on the bolts when the alarm is activated. Maybe I will....beware thieves!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
Wayne is like a paradise compared to the mall in paramas or jersey gardens. However, that doesn't mean willowbrook is good.

I seriously want to put highvoltage wire sensors on the bolts when the alarm is activated. Maybe I will....beware thieves! olice:
i remember reading somewhere that the Woodbridge mall is the highest car theft in NJ, and then willowbrook was second. this was a couple years ago but still both places are notorious for theft.

oh FYI, any kind of trap that would cause bodily harm to someone is illegal. i wish it wasnt but hey what are you going to do. i like what i saw in someones sig...
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 10-16-2002, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by silverkorn

i remember reading somewhere that the Woodbridge mall is the highest car theft in NJ, and then willowbrook was second. this was a couple years ago but still both places are notorious for theft.

oh FYI, any kind of trap that would cause bodily harm to someone is illegal. i wish it wasnt but hey what are you going to do. i like what i saw in someones sig...
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Freud said it best. Survival of the fittest (smartest) . It would be real easy to rig up something. Just get one of those big a** million microfarad capacitors that people use in sound systems and juice it up.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu

Freud said it best. Survival of the fittest (smartest) . It would be real easy to rig up something. Just get one of those big a** million microfarad capacitors that people use in sound systems and juice it up.
That would be a mother... if you lost your keyfob! I knew a guy who shaved all his door handles and everything, then lost his keys. Only way in....break the windows. Ouch. It's too bad people can't just leave well alone.