5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Friggin car STILL stalling...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 10:15 AM

Friggin car STILL stalling...

Okay...I have now cleaned the intake of all oil, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the intake tubing, cleaned the accordian thingy AND thoroughly cleaned the valve body inside out too!!! Then, reset the ECU...

My friggin car is still stalling when I leave it idling in park or sit too long a stop light. I'm guessing I need to replace the MAF at this point. Any other suggestions???

Also, if anyone happens to know: Is the 01-03 MAF and tube the same as the 2K one? I'm thinking about renting a car soon...

ADMAN
Old 11-04-2002, 11:17 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I dont think I've read where anyone successfully cleaned a MAF. :/
Old 11-04-2002, 01:07 PM

the 03 MAF is different for sure, i think the 2k2 is not the new one, but you should ask daveb to check the numbers. it sounds like it is your MAF though.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take it to Nissan. The problem most likely has to do with your ECU.

I had a similar problem - stalling after accelerating and then coming to a stop. They fixed it at the same time they fixed the fuel cut.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:57 PM

TimW: Russ was the one that said he “successfully” cleaned his MAF. So, I think I will pull it off again tonight and see if there is still anything caked on the sensor. It was getting pretty late and rather dark out last night. I could have missed something.

Victor: I already checked with DaveB. But, I didn’t ask him to compare number. I was hoping to fix the problem first. I guess I may not have a choice since the MAF for m car is on serious backorder. Guess I’ll either have to live with it or just have Enterprise pick me up...

Max_Gator: I’ve already had the dealersh!t upgrade my code for the Cold Start problem. But, I may have the flash it again. I just hate arguing with them about mods. I might take it to another shop instead. I am having the same problem with staling after acceleration as well. So, it could be the idle setting or the MAF. I don’t know...

ADMAN
Old 11-04-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Friggin car STILL stalling...

Originally posted by adman
Okay...I have now cleaned the intake of all oil, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the intake tubing, cleaned the accordian thingy AND thoroughly cleaned the valve body inside out too!!! Then, reset the ECU...

My friggin car is still stalling when I leave it idling in park or sit too long a stop light. I'm guessing I need to replace the MAF at this point. Any other suggestions???

Also, if anyone happens to know: Is the 01-03 MAF and tube the same as the 2K one? I'm thinking about renting a car soon...

ADMAN
Just got my report- Nissan just released 1 MAF from Jacksonville, FL. Should be here in a coupla days. Let me know if you want it
Old 11-04-2002, 03:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TimW: Russ was the one that said he “successfully” cleaned his MAF. So, I think I will pull it off again tonight and see if there is still anything caked on the sensor. It was getting pretty late and rather dark out last night. I could have missed something.

Victor: I already checked with DaveB. But, I didn’t ask him to compare number. I was hoping to fix the problem first. I guess I may not have a choice since the MAF for m car is on serious backorder. Guess I’ll either have to live with it or just have Enterprise pick me up...

Max_Gator: I’ve already had the dealersh!t upgrade my code for the Cold Start problem. But, I may have the flash it again. I just hate arguing with them about mods. I might take it to another shop instead. I am having the same problem with staling after acceleration as well. So, it could be the idle setting or the MAF. I don’t know...

ADMAN
If you really want to buy a maf check in the FAQ - I posted a site called partsvoice.com (Dave gave it to me) and the part number to get the maf for around 100. The site will tell you who has them in stock and you can order directly from that dealership.

But it sounds to me like it is the ECU. I believe they also changed my idle setting.

By the way, I had the idle fixed about 1 year before the MAF had to be replaced. They had nothing to do with one another.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:51 PM

As you can see, DaveB has a MAF in stock now. So, I may have to get it anyway. He said it was about $100.00 as well.

I also had my idle fixed about a year ago. The car has been fine since. Now it is stalling. That is the only reason I don't think it is the ECU. It will idle fine until it starts to get hot. It will also sit and idle fine for a while. Then, all of the sudden, it drops to the 200-100 RPM range and dies.

I know there is a small vacuum control valve as well. But, I don't know how to test it accurately. The hose is connected and I can't find any vacuum leaks either.

Sucks to be me...
Old 11-07-2002, 04:15 PM

Okay, I have now trackd the problem down to 20 second intervals...
Meaning, the car will try to stall every 20 seconds if left idling.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
Old 11-07-2002, 05:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Okay, I have now trackd the problem down to 20 second intervals...
Meaning, the car will try to stall every 20 seconds if left idling.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
Maybe a fuel pump issue? Good luck.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

Maybe a fuel pump issue? Good luck.
I don't know either. But, you can set your watch buy it...
It happens every friggin 20 seconds on the nose!!!

ADMAN