5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP!!! Engine died tonite!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP!!! Engine died tonite! .. **Update**

Was entering highway and punched the gas to the floor, the car started to muster the power, in its autotragic way, and then died. Service engine light immediately went on and I couldn't get out of second gear. Pulled over, turned the engine off for about half hour. Tried to start, it would start, but then immediately died.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is. And most importantly if the solution is eligible for warranty (3yr/36K mile) Thanks.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:53 PM

Sounds like another 2000 MAF bites the dust. I notice you have a K&N filter, did you oil it recently?
Old 12-15-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by sascuderi
Sounds like another 2000 MAF bites the dust. I notice you have a K&N filter, did you oil it recently?
No I haven't since I bought it, about 13k miles ago. Is the MAF same as O2 sensor?
Old 12-15-2002, 07:11 PM

No, MAF and o2 sensor are different. When the 02 goes, most people get a check engine light but the car will seem fine. The 02 sensors measure exhaust.

The MAF measures airflow in the intake after the filter. There is a problem with the MAFs in the 2000 Max and there is a TSB about it.
When the MAF goes the car will suddenly stall and then when you restart it will not go above ~2,500 RPMs

It is covered by the warrentee but make sure you take the K&N filter out when you bring it in or the dealer may give you a hard time. There have been suggestions on the forum that the oil in the K&N may in some way damage the MAF, especially if the person re-oils the filter and uses too much. So take the K&N out before going to the dealer!

STEVE
Old 12-15-2002, 07:24 PM

It is covered by the warrentee but make sure you take the K&N filter out when you bring it in or the dealer may give you a hard time. There have been suggestions on the forum that the oil in the K&N may in some way damage the MAF, especially if the person re-oils the filter and uses too much. So take the K&N out before going to the dealer!

STEVE [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm wondering though since the K&N has been in my car for 13K miles, and I've never re-oiled it, shouldn't I be in the clear.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by KP ROX

STEVE
Thanks for the info Steve. I'm wondering though since the K&N has been in my car for 13K miles, and I've never re-oiled it, shouldn't I be in the clear. [/B][/QUOTE]

Take the path of least possible resistance and put back in the stock filter. You don't want to give the dealer any ammo to deny your warranty claim. Remember we are talking about Nissan service
Old 12-15-2002, 07:35 PM

For some reason my 2k2 maf..with a dry apexi filter..it went boom too.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:35 PM

For some reason my 2k2 maf..with a dry apexi filter..it went boom too. .....mafs suck...nissan ones at that
Old 12-15-2002, 07:46 PM

Yes, you are in the clear in that it is very unlikely that the K&N caused the MAF to go. Since there is a TSB about the MAF that only proves they are defective. However, some dealers for some reason like to find a reason to blame the owner of the car for the problem so just replace your K&N before you go in for service.

Please let us know if it does turn out to be the MAF, Thanks!
Old 12-15-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
mafs suck...nissan ones at that
and rotors
and ignition coils
and O2 sensors
and . . .
Old 12-15-2002, 08:46 PM

Yes, you are in the clear in that it is very unlikely that the K&N caused the MAF to go. Since there is a TSB about the MAF that only proves they are defective. However, some dealers for some reason like to find a reason to blame the owner of the car for the problem so just replace your K&N before you go in for service.

Please let us know if it does turn out to be the MAF, Thanks!

I threw out my stock filter last year, just bought a new stock filter tonite and will use to replace k&n temporarily.. I wonder if they'll question how there is a brand new filter with zero dirt on it. hmmm..
Old 12-15-2002, 08:56 PM

I threw out my stock filter last year, just bought a new stock filter tonite and will use to replace k&n temporarily.. I wonder if they'll question how there is a brand new filter with zero dirt on it. hmmm..
Hehe, that's why I keep a slightly used Nissan paper air filter in my trunk, just in case...good luck with Nissan.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:59 AM

Re: HELP!!! Engine died tonite!

Was entering highway and punched the gas to the floor, the car started to muster the power, in its autotragic way, and then died. Service engine light immediately went on and I couldn't get out of second gear. Pulled over, turned the engine off for about half hour. Tried to start, it would start, but then immediately died.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is. And most importantly if the solution is eligible for warranty (3yr/36K mile) Thanks.
Just an update... Dealership looked at the car this morning. I bought a stock filter to replace the K&N temporarily, however, I remembered that the dealership (Courtesy) sells K&N filters. So just left the K&N filter in there (thinking they can't blame the K&N if they sell it)

Turns out it was the MAF sensor, and they replaced it under warranty, without a peep. Dang I'm having a good day.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: HELP!!! Engine died tonite!

Check to make sure the air intake is still attached securely in all connections between the MAF and throttle body. Mine feel off about 1 month ago, and I had the same symptoms.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:44 PM

Glad to hear they fixed it without a problem.

How many miles did you have on the car?? (I wonder if all the MAFs tend to go at the same milage)
Old 12-17-2002, 07:54 PM

Glad to hear they fixed it without a problem.

How many miles did you have on the car?? (I wonder if all the MAFs tend to go at the same milage)
I have 32k on it right now, hopefully it'll last at least another 32K more. Heard it is horribly expensive to replace outside of the warranty.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:11 PM

It is, but some time back someone posted that you can get just the sensor and not the tube and sensor (which the dealer tends to replace in this situation) for a lot less money. Does anyone know if that is still the case?