5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Injen CAI Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Injen CAI Hesitation

What's up org...did a search to no avail. I'm sorry if this Injen thing has been beaten to death, but for a $220 investment I have to ask.

About a month ago I installed the intake on my 6sp. I've noticed that the rpms in 2nd gear seem to be slower going up. If i take 1st gear out to 6000rpms and shift, it's not as noticeable...the power is there. If i take 1st gear out to about 3-4000rpms and shift it seems to take forever for 2nd gear to get up to 6000rpms when floored. There is a hesitation.

I've checked all the connections and tightened everything. It all looks good.

I'm wondering if it is because of the placement of the filter (under the battery). The stock intake at least had a scoop under the hood where the wind went directly into the scoop. With the CAI there doesn't seem to be any air being forced into the filter. It just sucks the colder air from under the car. Is that what could be causing this? Is there anyone with anyone with a similiar issue?
Old 12-16-2002, 01:19 PM
Pointy Elbows

Re: Injen CAI Hesitation

I have that same problem in my 2k. It's always when I first start driving the car. After it's been warmed up, it doesn't seem to happen anymore.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:33 PM

Re: Re: Injen CAI Hesitation

Originally posted by 00MaxSE
I have that same problem in my 2k. It's always when I first start driving the car. After it's been warmed up, it doesn't seem to happen anymore.
Same with mine on my 2k
Old 12-16-2002, 01:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Injen CAI Hesitation

Originally posted by Igor911

Same with mine on my 2k
So do you guys think it has actually decreased your performance?

My friend has a 2002 GTP. He upgraded his pulley, but i was always able to get him every time up to 70mph. I gradually pulled away little by little through the gears. After installing the intake I can no longer keep up with him. How ridiculous is that? $220 is a lot of money for a nice sound..

I was thinking about getting some wet vac tubing and running it from the lower valence and around the radiator to the injen filter. Does anyone think the ram air into the filter will help? Thanks
Old 12-16-2002, 02:34 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Go back to stock and see if you can tell a difference.

I know it's a pain in the ****, but that's the way I noticed when I went from my Stillen POP to stock. I definitely got some low rpm pull back with the stock intake, but the Stillen POP really made a difference up high.

It's a tradeoff, you need to decide.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:29 PM
The Definitive AE Master

just put back the stock intake today after driving the injen for a couple months because I needed to take it to the dealer cause the engine threw a code

I like it better with the stock intake... I don't feel a performance loss. If I do put the injen back in... i'll do it for track meets where i'm going to take off the splash guard off on the bottom of the car and replace the injen filter with a bigger k&n.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Pointy Elbows

So I guess all of us buying the Injen was a mistake? Well I'm just leaving mine on.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:15 PM

I've had pretty good experience with my Injen intake. So I guess I'll keep my too.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:37 AM

I'm just so happy with how the Injen sounds, I'm not going to go through the trouble of putting back the fugly stock intake.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:33 AM

So...

what does everyone think about getting some wet vac tubing and running it from the lower valence and around the radiator to the injen filter. Does anyone think that forcing air into the filter would improve performance?
Old 12-17-2002, 09:09 AM

I have had no problems whatsoever with my Injen, and I love it more everyday. Every time I roll into the throttle and hear that growl, I grin like a kid on Christmas morning. I have noticed improved performance, contrary to what some others are saying. It's not a turbocharger, but it seems like some people here are expecting that type of gain from it. My car is quicker off the line, and the throttle is more responsive throughout the powerband. Sorry if some guys aren't getting that from their Injen, but I am!

Supafly... try the thing with the tubing. Let us know what you find out.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:36 AM

I also really like my INJEN. that sound is great. And the throttle response feels quicker too, which is all I expected, given the less number of bends the air has to travel.

as far as the "ram air" set-up goes, i think it will only help at higher speeds if any. at higher speeds, you will most likely downshift to pass, and thus require more power, thus requiring more air. so the ram air may provide a little more air for the intake, but i would suggest not using wet vac tubing, but rather making something more like a scoop, to channel air up there. the tubing wouldnt provide enough air to make a difference.

i think the biggest difference that you can make on an INJEN is to get a new high-flow filter. i want to get the APEXi filter. But i hear its hard to get a hold of cause of that strike on the west coast...but dont know now.

just my thoughts.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by vinnieloo
I also really like my INJEN. that sound is great. And the throttle response feels quicker too, which is all I expected, given the less number of bends the air has to travel.

as far as the "ram air" set-up goes, i think it will only help at higher speeds if any. at higher speeds, you will most likely downshift to pass, and thus require more power, thus requiring more air. so the ram air may provide a little more air for the intake, but i would suggest not using wet vac tubing, but rather making something more like a scoop, to channel air up there. the tubing wouldnt provide enough air to make a difference.

i think the biggest difference that you can make on an INJEN is to get a new high-flow filter. i want to get the APEXi filter. But i hear its hard to get a hold of cause of that strike on the west coast...but dont know now.

just my thoughts.
good thoughts...i'm going to look into it