5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I've joined that hardy breed of men . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PICS

Does anyone here have pics of 235/45/17's on thier ride?
Old 01-13-2003, 10:14 AM

Ok I am a moron I cant find the post you are refering to...

Originally posted by y2kse

I came up with the same conclusion after reading RxMaxMaggie's post. But I'm not one to take chances. So I've upgraded my suspension and I'll religiously maintain proper tire pressure per his recommendations.
RxMaxMaggies post can you put a link up please thxs!
Old 01-13-2003, 10:15 AM
jjs

Re: Ok I am a moron I cant find the post you are refering to...

Originally posted by TheOzzfather

RxMaxMaggies post can you put a link up please thxs!
Look 4 posts up from yours.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Ok I am a moron I cant find the post you are refering to...

Originally posted by jjs

Look 4 posts up from yours.
or go to Page 6 of the FAQs and look at the first post on that page from me (y2kse) called "In defense of running 235/45R17 tires on 5th Gen OEM rims". I copied RxMaxMaggie's post there for posterity.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:26 AM

I truly appreciate all the accolades, guys. But frankly, I'm surprised at how surprised you all are. After all, I've wanted to run 235/45R17 tires on my stock rims since the day I first started publishing tire-related posts. I was just waiting for someone . . . anyone . . . to present me with a justification for doing so based on facts rather than opinions. It took RxMaxMaggie to finally come up with the facts. Once the justification was there and I committed myself to follow RxMaxMaggie's advice with respect to prepping my car and maintaining proper tire pressure, my decision was a foregone conclusion.
The one thing I don't like about RxMaxMaggie's post is this statment.
"Of that remaining force, it is distributed evenly around both circumferences of approx. 120" linear length (total of inside and outside circumference of bead length), PROVIDED THERE IS SUFFICIENT INFLATION to equalize force distribution (back to the caps in a minute."
The remaining force is not distributed evenly around the whole bead but to the the area directly above the contact patch or 8-10". I still think being over width by only 4% is still well within the safty margin and if I didn't want new rims for the car then I would get'em too.

When I wear these craptenza's out I'm gonna get some 245/45 on 17x8's.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777

The one thing I don't like about RxMaxMaggie's post is this statment.
"Of that remaining force, it is distributed evenly around both circumferences of approx. 120" linear length (total of inside and outside circumference of bead length), PROVIDED THERE IS SUFFICIENT INFLATION to equalize force distribution (back to the caps in a minute."

The remaining force is not distributed evenly around the whole bead but to the the area directly above the contact patch or 8-10". I still think being over width by only 4% is still well within the safty margin and if I didn't want new rims for the car then I would get'em too.
I'm not enough of an engineer to address your concern regarding force distribution, maximaman777. Unfortunately, it's been quite some time since RxMaxMaggie posted, so I wouldn't expect him to respond. But perhaps someone else with an engineering background could provide some insight.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:49 AM

OK, let me get this straight: This post,

"DEFENSE: as an engineer I carefully considered upsides and downsides of rim width to treadwidth. The actual width difference is 10mm, which is about 3/8", or about 104% of the recommended width. Having worked extensively with developing safety guidelines as an engineer, I know that the rule of thumb would be to set the safety limit at 20% less than where you might have a problem(no, I don't know the tire manufacturer specific guidelines on this nor will you find them written anywhere, but this is what I have seen in similar safety guidelines in the chemical and defense industries). If I was autocrossing or otherwise exerting extremely aggressive turning manuvers to put stress on the wheel/tire bead seal, I would stay within OE recommendations. But since I only use the car for commuting and country lane twisties (yes, northern NJ has a LOT of fun back roads!), I feel quite comfortable with this slight increase in tire width for my application.
[SORRY FOR THE LONG POST]"
was enough to change your mind into running out of spec tires, ykse? I've read longer, more technical posts on why spec/out of spec tires are good/bad.
Although it's nice to see someone abandon his tire philosophy to join the ranks of the 245/45/17-on-OEM-17"-wheels guys!
Old 01-13-2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by maximawanabee
OK, let me get this straight. This [part of the] post was enough to change your mind into running out of spec tires, y2kse?
Nope. It was the entirety of the post that got me to change my mind.

I've read longer, more technical posts on why spec/out of spec tires are good/bad.
I'm always interested in seeing technical pros and cons on this subject. I thought I had read most of them but I may have missed a few. So please feel free to share them with us if you happen to remember where they are.

Although it's nice to see someone abandon his tire philosophy to join the ranks of the 245/45/17-on-OEM-17"-wheels guys!
I appreciate being welcomed into the out-of-spec ranks. But I didn't jump all the way to 245/45R17. 235/45R17 was as far as I was willing to go.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by Tanman
I have the AVS ES100s on my front two tires and I live in Texas, where it doesn't get that cold. The ES100s are a summer tire and from what I've found are not good when it's cold and wet outside. It doesn't get that cold in Houston, but cold enough the last fews days, and with the ES100s on the car, I've felt some sliding through turns and don't feel 100% confident in these tires. It could be because I have different tires on the front and rear of the car, but my Nittos were never this flaky on cold and wet roads.
Your point is well taken, Tanman. Climate has to be taken into consideration when deciding which tires to purchase. But I live in Southern California and believe me, it gets much colder in Houston than it does in Los Angeles. Even with El Nino coming, I doubt I'm likely to face the kind of road conditions you're referring to in your post.

My wife has Nitto 450s on her 2K GXE and so far, I like my Yokos better than her Nittos. I'll let you know if I change my mind about that.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:27 AM

Your point is well taken, Tanman. Climate has to be taken into consideration when deciding which tires to purchase. But I live in Southern California and believe me, it gets much colder in Houston than it does in Los Angeles. Even with El Nino coming, I doubt I'm likely to face the kind of road conditions you're referring to in your post.

My wife has Nitto 450s on her 2K GXE and so far, I like my Yokos better than her Nittos. I'll let you know if I change my mind about that.
You're right about the weather difference, you Cal folks are lucky. I might be moving to Wyoming and I'm already concerned about the trip there if I'm on summer tires. I plan to switch to Yokohama Parada Spec-2s, since they're an all-season tire with good treadwear. I don't like that they're only available in 225 in the 40/18 size (I prefer 235), but performance before looks for me.

Anyone know the load rating of the stock 2K Toyo Proxes A05?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:16 AM
jjs

You're right about the weather difference, you Cal folks are lucky. I might be moving to Wyoming and I'm already concerned about the trip there if I'm on summer tires. I plan to switch to Yokohama Parada Spec-2s, since they're an all-season tire with good treadwear. I don't like that they're only available in 225 in the 40/18 size (I prefer 235), but performance before looks for me.

Anyone know the load rating of the stock 2K Toyo Proxes A05?
Since yours is a 2000, what was the stock SE tire size? If 16", this might help...

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/Prod_OE_FR.asp
Old 01-14-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by jjs

Since yours is a 2000, what was the stock SE tire size? If 16", this might help...

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/Prod_OE_FR.asp
Hey thanks, that's exactly what I need . I have the 2000 SE, so the original Toyo's have a 91H load index.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:39 AM
jjs

Hey thanks, that's exactly what I need . I have the 2000 SE, so the original Toyo's have a 91H load index.
Cool! It was the only info I could find.