5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

is my dealer lying....??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 06:25 AM
SoloMaxima

is my dealer lying....??

i just got back from my local Nissan service center....i showed the guy the 2k1 TSB for the brake judder....and he said that since i have 25k miles it's not covered under warranty...so i told him that it says its covered under the 36k warranty on the tsb....so another guy comes over and looks at it...than he says that they would have to check it first to see if its the brake pads or the rotors...
i can see that he's lying...they would just change the pads and tell me that the rotors are fine and charge me money...so i left..
i know that its the rotors...when i brake the brakes feel fine...but when i brake at high speeds it shakes...
anyone know what i can do about it...i'm gonna go to another dealer to see if the would honor it...
sorry for this long post...

Old 01-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Yes. Your dealer is lying. Go somewhere else.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:52 AM

Re: is my dealer lying....??

Originally posted by SoloMaxima
i just got back from my local Nissan service center....i showed the guy the 2k1 TSB for the brake judder....and he said that since i have 25k miles it's not covered under warranty...so i told him that it says its covered under the 36k warranty on the tsb....so another guy comes over and looks at it...than he says that they would have to check it first to see if its the brake pads or the rotors...
i can see that he's lying...they would just change the pads and tell me that the rotors are fine and charge me money...so i left..
i know that its the rotors...when i brake the brakes feel fine...but when i brake at high speeds it shakes...
anyone know what i can do about it...i'm gonna go to another dealer to see if the would honor it...
I rolled into my dealership with the TSB in hand and 28k miles and they did not blink an eye. It was fixed the next day no charge. Go somewhere else.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: is my dealer lying....??

Originally posted by 2000 SE
I rolled into my dealership with the TSB in hand and 28k miles and they did not blink an eye. It was fixed the next day no charge. Go somewhere else.
Don't forget to call 1-800-NISSAN-1 and tell them about your experience.

Buzz
Old 01-18-2003, 11:33 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I rolled in at 36015 miles with TSB... I just said, hey it took 30 miles to get here Actually, they had pushed my visit back a week, so they didnt bat an eye at the miles.

pads are part of the TSB. They have a tool measure the amount of warpage (IE how much to shave off or replace all together). Your dealer was lying or just stupid.. either way, avoid them.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:16 PM
vqman

stay away from that dealer, and tell the next dealer of the experience you had...they'll make sure to do you right.

-vq

Old 01-18-2003, 03:53 PM

if you are going to call the Nissan to complain about the dealership..make sure you stay with your vehicle at all times while it is on that dealership's property..Just in case.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

is my dealer lying....??
YES. oh, wait, what was the question? just a reflex...
Old 01-18-2003, 07:34 PM

My 2k2 does the same thing, it's only got 8200 miles, under high speed acceleration, the brakes will shake, should I mention this to the dealer? or is it normal for the car to do so?
Old 01-18-2003, 07:48 PM
SoloMaxima

Originally posted by GuZo

My 2k2 does the same thing, it's only got 8200 miles, under high speed acceleration, the brakes will shake, should I mention this to the dealer? or is it normal for the car to do so?
it is not normal..bring it in..

Old 01-20-2003, 07:53 AM

DO go somewhere else. It's your money, and they've done nothing on their end to earn your trust.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:21 AM

hehe

lol, "is my dealer lying?"

Is the Pope Catholic?

Sorry man, don't mean to make fun of your situation at all. I've just had some REALLY sh**ty experiences w/ dealers, and I've learned to trust the about as far as I can throw them. 9 times out of 10, a dealer will lie to you to make money off of your a$$.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:23 AM
jjs

Re: hehe

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy
lol, "is my dealer lying?"

Is the Pope Catholic?

Sorry man, don't mean to make fun of your situation at all. I've just had some REALLY sh**ty experiences w/ dealers, and I've learned to trust the about as far as I can throw them. 9 times out of 10, a dealer will lie to you to make money off of your a$$.
That's a bit harsh.

I would say more like 7 out of ten for money, 2 out of ten they just don't want to be bothered at all, and 1 out of ten maybe its OK.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:26 AM

Re: Re: hehe

Originally posted by jjs

That's a bit harsh.

I would say more like 7 out of ten for money, 2 out of ten they just don't want to be bothered at all, and 1 out of ten maybe its OK.
Yeah, thats probably a bit more accurate. Still sad though, considering the importance of the investment and the amount of money you spend on it. Logically, you'd expect caviar and wine when spending that sort of money. Instead you get a vending machine to wash down all the B.S.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:27 AM

I am fighting the excat same case with my dealer (Marlborough Nissan, MA) . The only diff is I have already paid them $800 for the repairs . I called up Nissan , they have not replied yet. My dealer told me that it was the pads and hence not covered under the warranty .
Old 01-20-2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by GuZo

not normal. mine did it too. then eventually, it starting shaking at lower speeds as well. it's your rotors slowly warping.

just changed my rotors and pads this weekend. sure enough, no more shaking while braking.

luckily my stock brakes lasted me 83000 miles so i'm not complaining. just gave me an excuse to buy aftermarket rotors.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:35 PM

Just had it done

My Service Advisor said the same thing - my 2000 GLE had 33K.

I told him - just have your guy look at it. Often the Advisor does not know anything - some times a good Tech will inform the Advisor when he is wrong.

Or call the Service Manager.

It is probably easier to ask on the Maxima.org website about good service in your area - it will save you the hassle.

After you have it done - ask them it will be covered when the rotors warp again in like 3000 miles. I guarantee they will tell you NO - like they did the last repair as some sort of goodwill gesture.

So far my are good - but I know they will warp again. No way to avoid it when the original rotors are crap.

My service advisor said I needed to avoid high speed braking or sudden stop - I asked him what I was supposed to do - run into another car or take the chance Nissan's ****ty rotors will warp again - he said buy new ones - they will install them for like $300 dollars. That tells you how much the "Advisor" knows.

I'm still working on the TCM problem - that is a much more difficult problem to convince the dealer of.

Good luck
Old 01-20-2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by arathitr
I am fighting the excat same case with my dealer (Marlborough Nissan, MA) . The only diff is I have already paid them $800 for the repairs . I called up Nissan , they have not replied yet. My dealer told me that it was the pads and hence not covered under the warranty .
I've seen situations like this before. You best approach is to work with 1-800-NISSAN (or whatever the number is). It is my understanding that dealers get paid less for warranty work than they do for "regular" service. This is certainly going to not motivate them to solve your problem. I've know several people who have had good experiences with Nissan NA. But best of luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:11 AM

Is my dealer lying?

Are his lips moving?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:38 AM

Judder

My rotors worped at 13K miles, the dealer didn't want to do it, but after taking the car in, they said they'll do it this time ( changed rotors and pads) , but i'll have to pay next time.
I have 27K miles, so far so good.