5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New oil filter which is old oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2001, 07:35 PM

I was disturbed this past Friday when I changed my oil. I believe the new filter in the Nissan packaging was actually a used filter.

I started by purchasing a new oil filter and crush ring from a local Nissan dealership.

I proceeded to drain the oil from my car, then I removed the old filter, then I re-installed the oil drain plug with a new crush ring. All was well.

I rip the new filter out of the box, remove a plastic wrapper from the filter within the box, and was going to apply a coat of oil to the "seal" of the new filter. I notice "chip" marks on the filter itself, not on the rubber seal thingy but on the metal part around it.

I was perplexed as to why it would have chip marks. The first thing which crossed my mind was the filter was used, since it looked like the paint was worn off the filter at or near the rubber seal.

I inspected the inside of the filter and notice it is not 100% clean. I won't say it was "dirty", but I won't say it was brand new, fresh looking aluminum.

In summary, that thing look used, but wrapped as if it came from the factory.

I installed the filter, irregardless, and filled the car with oil. I cranked the car to check for leaks, etc. I drove around today, about a hundred miles, and all is well.

I had no choice but to use the filter in hand because the filter which came off was already on the way to the dumpster, and I had no transporation to the dealership to "question" the filter.

I am going to make it a point to check the next filter I purchase from a Nissan dealer to check for things such as this. The filter looked USED, but was packaged as new. This seems shady to me. This is more or less an FYI to look out for this. Perhaps this was an isolated incident. Nonetheless, I am skeptical of the product I installed, and am more concerned about what the dealer/Nissan may be doing. I do not recall seeing such traits of the oil filter on my last oil change. Anyway, just an FYI...