5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Garage Heaters....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 10:08 PM

Garage Heaters....

This weekend my buddy and I were freezing our a$$es off in my garage and I decided that I need to get some heat in there. I have this little crappy radiant heat heater that does nothing if you are more than a couple feet away.

In the mailroom at my job, they have a forced air heater (uses a fan) that seems to kick out a lot of heat. My garage isn't well insulated, so I want to get something that will be powerful enough.

Does anyone have any opinions / suggestions on this? I want to stick with electrical heaters because I don't want to have to worry about refilling...or an explosion.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2003, 10:53 PM

If you mean hot air blowers, I saw them at Lowes for about $130. Cheaper alternative is the heat dish. Its going to be really hard to heat up a garage in these temps. I use a kerosene heater, and even that doesn't do much.... Good luck.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:43 AM
jjs

Re: Garage Heaters....

Originally posted by spta97
This weekend my buddy and I were freezing our a$$es off in my garage and I decided that I need to get some heat in there. I have this little crappy radiant heat heater that does nothing if you are more than a couple feet away.

In the mailroom at my job, they have a forced air heater (uses a fan) that seems to kick out a lot of heat. My garage isn't well insulated, so I want to get something that will be powerful enough.

Does anyone have any opinions / suggestions on this? I want to stick with electrical heaters because I don't want to have to worry about refilling...or an explosion.

Thanks
Is the rest of you house electric or does it have gas heat? Reason I ask this is you would be amazed how quicly an electric bill can spin up with large heaters (bordering on house furnaces). Not much for a few hours at a time, but extended weekend heating of the garage might get pricy.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:31 AM

I had the same problem but picked up this stand alone kerosene heater from Home Depot for about $100. It puts out a ton of heat and is silent. It only takes one "C" battery to light it (included) and then you just need to buy kerosene which is available anywhere.

I checked out propane ones but heaving the canister back and forth for refills is a pain. I figured it would be a little more dangerous because the fuel is under pressure. As mentioned before - electric ones aren't very efficient and suck a lot of power.

I just used it yesterday and it's great. The temps were in the 20s but it had no problem heating the garage to the point where I was out in my T-shirt and jeans.

I'm not saying this is the best solution but it is the most cost effective. If money wasn't a consideration (when isn't it??) I would just get one of those big mamma-jammas that mount from the ceiling.

I'm having trouble finding the one I have but it looks just like this one: Click here

And no, I don't use any of those lame-o scents this one advertises.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don (Pearl96Max) has a good garage heater, PM him and he'll let you know what kind. I speak from experience.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by Uconn411
If you mean hot air blowers, I saw them at Lowes for about $130. Cheaper alternative is the heat dish. Its going to be really hard to heat up a garage in these temps. I use a kerosene heater, and even that doesn't do much.... Good luck.
I currently have a heat dish and it just doesn't do anything. It is warm when you are standing in front of it, but when you get more than 2 feet away you don't even feel it. I would like to get a ceiling mount one that will heat a large area.

Originally posted by jjs

Is the rest of you house electric or does it have gas heat? Reason I ask this is you would be amazed how quicly an electric bill can spin up with large heaters (bordering on house furnaces). Not much for a few hours at a time, but extended weekend heating of the garage might get pricy.
I have oil heat. I want to use electric because I don't want to have to worry about refilling. I only plan to turn this on during weekends where I'll be working in the garage. I'm a little worried about the electric bill but I would rather pay that than have to worry about refills or explosions.

Also, it's only a one car (with a high ceiling) so floor space is limited. That's why I want a ceiling mount.

Originally posted by Uconn411

Cool, I looked at Home Depot but they didn't carry them anymore. I'm gonna check out Lowes when it stops snowing! (about 2 feet so far in LI NY!) BTW, Home Depot is starting to suck, I may have to do my shopping at Lowes from now on. They are about the only place where you can get metric bolts and nuts.

Originally posted by GuZo

Don (Pearl96Max) has a good garage heater, PM him and he'll let you know what kind. I speak from experience.
Will do! Do you know what kind (gas, electric, etc.)?

Thanks for all the replies!