5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just got back from the dyno :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by slickrick

our car is a nice, 4 door 5 passenger car that can haul *** if need be. unlike a camaro which is a pos.
well I wouldn't call a camaro a pos especially a ls1 but a stang on the other hand is not one of my favorites
Old 03-17-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

well I wouldn't call a camaro a pos especially a ls1 but a stang on the other hand is not one of my favorites
id take a saleen stang over any camaro. although i like the fact that camaros are just as fast with autos as they are with sticks.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Blu
the tits

id take a saleen stang over any camaro. although i like the fact that camaros are just as fast with autos as they are with sticks.
me too but enough OT
Old 03-17-2003, 04:45 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by FASST LN
If that's true, then why didn't you just by a Camaro for less money and do that? You would be able to easily beat ricers and Mustangs (except the '03 Cobra) if you did that.

There must be more to this story.
'03 Cobras are quick. Not unbeatable. And who said the Camaro was less money? Although ive toyed with that idea of getting one it's not what I wanted. At the time I got what I wanted. Next time I'll get a G35 Coupe.

I like what you put in your profile.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:47 AM

slickrick,
and how much would that Saleen cost you vs. the Camaro? Besides, you have to get the SC version of the Saleen to even beat the F-body so now you are talking about a good bit of cash.
If you want to talk Roush, you have to get the Stage-III before you could outrun a stock F-body.
Both Roush and Saleens look sweet to me, but for the performance and cost, I'm not that impressed.

"our car is a nice, 4 door 5 passenger car that can haul *** if need be. unlike a camaro which is a pos"

My POS car still has all of its paint on the hood and front bumper, how does your Max look? How are those auto trannies doing on the Maximas? They're fine on the F-bodies. Also the F-body hauls more a$$ than you Maxima. But then it is supposed to, they were designed for different purposes.

So in reality you want a sedan that is quick enough to beat Mustangs...see, I knew there was more to this story. You wanted to have a sedan that can hold 5, whereas the Camaro is a sports/muscle car that can hold 4.

blubyu2k2,
the new Max is my wifes car, so no mods. Someone hit and totaled my SS a few weeks ago, so now I'm stuck in the '87 Max. Can you say big difference? Going from 420-hp to 150-hp hurts the ego a bit.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Blu
the tits

slickrick,
and how much would that Saleen cost you vs. the Camaro? Besides, you have to get the SC version of the Saleen to even beat the F-body so now you are talking about a good bit of cash.
If you want to talk Roush, you have to get the Stage-III before you could outrun a stock F-body.
Both Roush and Saleens look sweet to me, but for the performance and cost, I'm not that impressed.

"our car is a nice, 4 door 5 passenger car that can haul *** if need be. unlike a camaro which is a pos"

My POS car still has all of its paint on the hood and front bumper, how does your Max look? How are those auto trannies doing on the Maximas? They're fine on the F-bodies. Also the F-body hauls more a$$ than you Maxima. But then it is supposed to, they were designed for different purposes.

So in reality you want a sedan that is quick enough to beat Mustangs...see, I knew there was more to this story. You wanted to have a sedan that can hold 5, whereas the Camaro is a sports/muscle car that can hold 4.

blubyu2k2,
the new Max is my wifes car, so no mods. Someone hit and totaled my SS a few weeks ago, so now I'm stuck in the '87 Max. Can you say big difference? Going from 420-hp to 150-hp hurts the ego a bit.
you weren't at werx dyno saturday by any chance were you
Old 03-18-2003, 11:59 AM
VQ Wizard

Lets PLEASE not turn this into another flame war.

Each car has it's own Pros and Cons, even Yugo (i guess)

slickrick: Nissan isn't the only car company in the world that can build a cool car.

FASST LN: Sorry to hear about your car. And just because the Maxima doesn't have a RWD V8 (and made in Canada) config, doesn't mean they aren't nice cars to have.

Can we please get along now?
Old 03-18-2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Lets PLEASE not turn this into another flame war.

Each car has it's own Pros and Cons, even Yugo (i guess)

slickrick: Nissan isn't the only car company in the world that can build a cool car.

FASST LN: Sorry to hear about your car. And just because the Maxima doesn't have a RWD V8 (and made in Canada) config, doesn't mean they aren't nice cars to have.

Can we please get along now?
heck no. i just hate american cars because reliability is a joke. i know because my family owns 3 of them. however i think american cars have better looking designs. i love lexus's even if people say its an overpriced toyota. and obviously bang for the buck is an ss but i love how saleens looks. and yes i was talking about the sc version of course. not the dorks who have saleen stickers on their v6 stangs.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:27 PM
VQ Wizard

heck no. i just hate american cars because reliability is a joke.
In most cases I agree, but not all.

however i think american cars have better looking designs.
I don't but thats my .02 Much props to the C5 and the new GTO though.

i love lexus's even if people say its an overpriced toyota.
Toyota is an overpriced Toyota much less Lexus.

and obviously bang for the buck is an ss but i love how saleens looks.
It's safe to say that the '03 Cobra now owns that distiction over the SS. Both quick cars and good looking though.

and yes i was talking about the sc version of course. not the dorks who have saleen stickers on their v6 stangs.
Ricers don't discrimiate, they'll buy and Rice anything on wheels.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:12 PM

SR20DEN,
Read my post again. I never said Maximas weren't nice cars. Why would I buy one if I thought that? If you think stating facts is wrong, then you must be one objectionable person. Notice the use of smilies in my post in an effort to keep things light hearted. I only objected to the guy calling my old car a POS, especially after he knew that I owned one.

BlubyU,
I have been there before and wasn't impressed. Then again I'm never impressed with mobile dynos. They are too scary to drive up the ramps with someone else behind the wheel of your baby. I like Precision's because you drive and dyno your own car. If the engine blows, I want it to be beacause of something "I" did, and not the dyno technician whose driving my car.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:19 PM
VQ Wizard

SR20DEN,
Read my post again. I never said Maximas weren't nice cars.
I am aware of that. I was trying to keep my responses even on both sides.

BlubyU,
I have been there before and wasn't impressed. Then again I'm never impressed with mobile dynos. They are too scary to drive up the ramps with someone else behind the wheel of your baby. I like Precision's because you drive and dyno your own car. If the engine blows, I want it to be beacause of something "I" did, and not the dyno technician whose driving my car.
Precision Dyno is certainly the most popular but Dave Brown Motorsports has a much cleaner shop and lets you operate the machine without his intervention. He charges a bit more but no where near as crowded. I personally think those perks are worth a few extra $$.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Wat

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Don't the auto's lose around 6% more power than manual transmissions do? Also you should try dynoing on your slicks and try to keep the engine's coolant temp around 180-190*F.

More like 3%
Old 03-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Back to the Dyno......

Blu, look at my numbers on PG-4 of my homepage <----

I pulled 224 w/ just the Frankentake. When I did the dyno I actually removed the filter and ran it straight pipe. The first two pulls were lower. The last one I put the Filter back on and picked up a few HP just from that.

Now I just have to work on the AF lines... they don't look too good.

PS, do you have the AF to post? I would like to see yours.

Hey Matt (SR20DEN not Blu) Where you been bro??? You and I gotta hook up this summer/spring
Old 03-18-2003, 06:05 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by dblrr900
Back to the Dyno......

Hey Matt (SR20DEN not Blu) Where you been bro??? You and I gotta hook up this summer/spring
I was a hermit for the winter. Mardigras 11 second run gave me a swift kick in the **** to get back in the game.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:08 PM

i don't understand how your torque numbers are so high. you dynoed at 211 whp and 224 tq. and you have an auto right? (blubyu2k2) all i have is frankencar intake and cattman catback, and i got 206 whp and ONLY 214 tq. i think i have the LOWEST tq for the 2k2s.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:12 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by chi02max
i don't understand how your torque numbers are so high. you dynoed at 211 whp and 224 tq. and you have an auto right? (blubyu2k2) all i have is frankencar intake and cattman catback, and i got 206 whp and ONLY 214 tq. i think i have the LOWEST tq for the 2k2s.
I have an intake, y and b pipe, stock muffler, and udp. The UDP is coming off b/c I'm selling it and getting the RVM when there are available again. For some reason a few auto maximas have had problems with noise with the UR UDP which is myself and juice and a few others. I noticed the 6 spds have had no noise at all weird.

Matt
Old 03-19-2003, 04:24 AM

I have an intake, y and b pipe, stock muffler, and udp. The UDP is coming off b/c I'm selling it and getting the RVM when there are available again. For some reason a few auto maximas have had problems with noise with the UR UDP which is myself and juice and a few others. I noticed the 6 spds have had no noise at all weird.

Matt
What kind of noise?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:31 AM

Although Mustangs have always had decent reliability, Camaros have always had very poor reliability. Here's an article showing how far behind American reliability is.

Taken from Yahoo News:

Consumer Reports Finds American-Made Vehicles Close Reliability Gap With European-Made Vehicles--as Japanese Continue to Set New Benchmarks for the Industry
Monday March 10, 5:56 pm ET
Hyundai now ranks among best 2002 brands for reliability

YONKERS, NY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 10, 2003-- Consumer Reports' annual 2002 auto reliability survey shows that domestic auto manufacturers continue to make solid gains in reliability and now build vehicles that are as reliable on average in the first year as those from European manufacturers. At the same time, the Japanese car companies continue to push the envelope by building more reliable cars than before and setting new benchmarks for the industry.
ADVERTISEMENT

CR's reliability survey also shows that Korea's Hyundai has made a striking turnaround during the past decade and--for the 2002 model year--ranks with the best Japanese manufacturers. In CR's latest survey, Hyundai tied Honda for second-place in reliability ratings for 2002s behind Toyota.

In a special analysis, Consumer Reports also examines long-term reliability of domestic, European and Asian vehicles from the model years 2000 and 1998. Knowing how such models are holding up is vital if you're deciding whether to keep an older car or if you're thinking of buying a used one. On average, CR found that three-year-old models had three times as many problems as the 2002 models; the 1998 models had about four times as many problems as the 2002s.

CR's 50th Anniversary April Auto Issue includes extensive vehicle reliability findings. The 50th Anniversary April Auto Issue is on sale March 11 through June 11. The magazine is generally available where magazines are sold and may also be ordered online at www.ConsumerReports.org.

Consumer Reports surveys its readers annually to obtain detailed information on hundreds of different makes and models. The 2002 survey yielded responses on nearly 480,000 vehicles spanning eight model years--1995 to 2002. Owners told CR about problems they had during the preceding 12 months in 14 areas, ranging from the electrical system to the engine, transmission, and more. Using that data, Consumer Reports predicts reliability for new models and gives detailed problem rates for older models. CR's statistical analysis for each manufacturer are based upon the number of problems per 100 vehicles.

For the 2002 model year, the average for the industry was 18 problems per 100 vehicles, down from 21 problems per 100 vehicles in the 2001 survey. American and European-branded vehicles both averaged 21 problems per 100 vehicles. Asian manufacturers--which include both Japanese brands and Korea's Hyundai--averaged just 12 problems per 100 vehicles.

Toyota topped CR's reliability ranking, with just 10 problems per 100, down from 12 per 100 last year. Honda and Hyundai tied for second place, with 11 problems per 100 vehicles. Subaru had 13 problems per 100, and Nissan had 15 problems per 100. Mazda had 20 problems per 100 vehicles.

Among domestic manufacturers, Chrysler ranked best, with 20 problems per 100 followed by GM with 21 and Ford with 23. The 2002 models from all three domestic car companies showed improvements over last year's levels.

Among European brands, BMWs and Volkswagens had 20 problems per 100 vehicles while Mercedes-Benz had 22 problems per 100 vehicles.

In a similar analysis of foreign and domestic brands published in the April 2002 auto issue, Consumer Reports found that the average for all 2001 models was 21 problems per 100 vehicles. Models made by Japanese car companies averaged only 15 problems per 100. European- and American-branded vehicles averaged 23 and 24 problems per 100 vehicles, respectively.

Long-term Durability: How 3- and 5- Year-Old Vehicles Fared

CR's special analysis of model years 2000 and 1998 found that those vehicles are far more likely to have problems than new vehicles--and the consumer will have to foot the bill if the warranty has expired.

On average, model-year 2000 cars had three times as many problems as the 2002 cars: 55 problems per 100 vehicles. By the time the average car approached three years old, problems that were apparent when the cars were new--such as those in the electrical system and power equipment, or squeaks and rattles--were two or three times more common. Systems that were fine at the outset, such as brakes and cooling, started having some problems.

The best three-year-old models were the Acura RL, Honda CR-V, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Lexus ES300, Honda Civic, and Toyota Camry--all with fewer than 18 problems per 100. Worst: the Chevrolet Corvette; Ford Focus; Mercedes-Benz M-Class; Volkswagen Golf, Jetta, and New Beetle; and Chevrolet Astro/GMC Safari--all with more than 90 problems per 100 vehicles.

The average five-year-old model had 78 problems per 100 vehicles, about four times as many as the 2002s. Their Achilles heel: electrical problems, which were seen five times as often as in new cars. The best 1998 vehicles were the Honda CR-V, Toyota Tacoma (4WD), Acura RL, Lexus ES300, and Honda Odyssey/Isuzu Oasis, all with fewer than 25 problems per 100 vehicles. Worst: the Cadillac Catera, VW New Beetle, Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and Dodge/Plymouth Neon, all with more than 140 problems per 100.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:41 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Virus

What kind of noise?
I really don't know how to explain it but its a screeching noise and its annoying as hell. If you pop the same pulley on a 6spd there is no noise
Old 03-19-2003, 05:21 AM
VQ Wizard

I really don't know how to explain it but its a screeching noise and its annoying as hell. If you pop the same pulley on a 6spd there is no noise
Maybe it's your stupid autotragic tranny. It's screamin 'shiftme shiftme.... shiftmeeeee' .
Old 03-19-2003, 05:28 AM
Blu
the tits

Maybe it's your stupid autotragic tranny. It's screamin 'shiftme shiftme.... shiftmeeeee' .
blah
Old 03-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

odd, my ur pulley on my '02 auto doesn't make any noise.. it did when the belt was loose, but that got fixed quick. good luck with the rvm
Old 03-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by ducky

odd, my ur pulley on my '02 auto doesn't make any noise.. it did when the belt was loose, but that got fixed quick. good luck with the rvm
i hate this car sometimes
Old 03-19-2003, 09:19 AM

i hate this car sometimes
the only thing I don't like is the fact that I had my seat set up *perfect* until the guys at NTB 're-adjusted' it a few weeks back.. now I can't find any comfortable setting whatsoever and I'm constantly re-adjusting..
Old 03-19-2003, 09:45 AM
VQ Wizard

the only thing I don't like is the fact that I had my seat set up *perfect* until the guys at NTB 're-adjusted' it a few weeks back.. now I can't find any comfortable setting whatsoever and I'm constantly re-adjusting..
Well... when you find your optimum setting just unplug all the motors under the seat so it can't be moved. They're only driving the car into the bay, they don't need to be comfortable for that short period of time.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:56 AM

Well... when you find your optimum setting just unplug all the motors under the seat so it can't be moved. They're only driving the car into the bay, they don't need to be comfortable for that short period of time.
it's funny you mention that, because during the drive home at lunch I *finally* found a comfortable spot. when I get home you bet I'll be unplugging.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:03 PM

it's funny you mention that, because during the drive home at lunch I *finally* found a comfortable spot. when I get home you bet I'll be unplugging.
my spot is easy. have each position the farthest away. the only hard part is the back positioner.