5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Consumer movement on theft of HID lights -Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 12:24 PM

Consumer Movement - Theft Of HID Headlights -

Has anyone heard of a consumer movement to force Nissan to install anti-theft protection on the HID lights- similar to BMW, Mercedes system?

I'm the owner of a 2003 Maxima GLE in Northern NJ - I'm on the 2nd set of light replacements due to theft, within 2 weeks. Our car was parked in front of my home both times, and I was on the phone calling the police during the theft. The second theft happened just last night and both lights were stolen, along with a broken window.

We're not alone, just read the NY Times article of March 7th. I've spoken with Police and local auto repair shops to discover that 02+ Maximas and Acuras 2.3s are prime targets of HID theft. (Too bad the Nissan neglected to tell me this two months ago when I bought the car)

I believe that Nissan should be forced to recall our cars & install a system that offers better protection against theft.
If a consumer movement hasn't been started yet, I WILL START ONE!

---------------------------------------------------------

Victims of HID theft Please report this to the NHTSA. The more complaints filed the more apparent the problem. Once the NHTSA realizes this is a serious issue, they will put pressure on NISSAN to correct it.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm
Old 03-23-2003, 12:37 PM

I was not aware this.I just bought a 2k2 Max Se and I pick it up from the dealer tomorrow.I don't like the sound of this.Start a petition and I'll be the first to sign it!!!!
Old 03-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Stev02

Yeah, I heard about this HID stealing. I just bought a 2001 SE but with no HIDs so I don't have to worry. However, with the situation at hand, Nissan should do something about this b/c it's a growing problem. I bet that many of the HIDs being sold on eBay and the like are all "hot".

Stevo

Old 03-23-2003, 02:51 PM

believe it or not...theres easily over 25 threads about this...if the search worked you could see

You guys are not the first and won't be the last...that's the very sad part

I was at the Nissan dealer yesterday and there was a sterling mist gle with missing lights.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm glad someone started this thread. We should keep this thread going to readily update any new info, especially now that search isn't readily available to everyone. I just had one HID light stolen in NY. Only thing that saved the other light was an aftermarket shock sensing alarm. These guys were good, didn't need to pop the hood or anything. I even got a set of anti-theft bolts from TimW, which I think are a good idea but they didn't help here.

Scary thing is, we just saw someone on the same block who's lights are stolen just today!!

We all need to get someone, preferably Nissan to help us take care of this problem.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:45 PM

nissan help us??!! you must be new to the site.

Nissan already came out with a product that will make it harder for them to steal our HIDs. Yes there is always a catch, Nissan is charging us for it. That means they realize the problem but want to make a profit off of us for our misery.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:17 PM

I'm surprised the insurance companies haven't done anything major yet since they're the ones paying for the replacements
Old 03-23-2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by bobcat
I'm surprised the insurance companies haven't done anything major yet since they're the ones paying for the replacements

LOL, yea...they're paying for the replacements....but only until you renew your insurance.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
nissan help us??!! you must be new to the site.

Nissan already came out with a product that will make it harder for them to steal our HIDs. Yes there is always a catch, Nissan is charging us for it. That means they realize the problem but want to make a profit off of us for our misery.
GLE, you're right, I am new to this site. I've seen the kit that Nissan sells and it would not have saved my light at all. All these guys did was pop it out, breaking the plastic tabs that are bolted to the frame. Only damage was some scratches to the edge of the hood and the bumper. I was told by the insurance guys that these particular thieves didn't want them to sell to other Nissan owners. They use the bulb and volt converter for themselves or sell them in a different housing.

What upsets me is that Nissan is probably making a fortune from selling hundreds, if not thousands, of new lights without coming up with a genuine solution. They need to separate the volt converter from the bulb or make that flimsy tab out of metal instead of plastic.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:34 PM

The insurance companies are doing something major about it....cars with HIDs will pay a higher premium soon...

As for keeping the theard alive....good luck, all of us here with 2K2 and 2K3 are well aware of the problem....I've personally lost my HIDs once (Queens,NY), and believe me, once bitten twice shy....

Nissan won't do anything...and don't bother with the anti-theft kit or alarms...if they want them, they're gonna take them. It's just a matter of how hard they are willing to work for them.

Hopefully 6th gens aren't plagued by this problem...

What have BMW and MB done to prevent theft???...Move that balast unit away for headlight, or short the ballast once removed???...

Sorry to hear about your loss Try not to be predictable with where you park...spend a few $$$ when possible and park in a lot from time to time...predictablity is a 2k2/2k3 owner's worst enemy...
Old 03-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok guyes, I know this topic is old but its new again everytime another set of HID's gets yanked from our cars. In fact, saturday I took the Pathfinder on a trip to the dealer and guess what.. pearl white with missing hid's. So anyway, Nissan will not do anything voluntary about this problem because on previous threads they made it clear the problem is not theirs but ours. Next, they said the problem is isolated to the NE (mainly NY/NJ owners) w/very few isolated incidents outside these areas. And they are right. Your insurance co. will do nothing about the situation because they are not losing $. When your insurance goes for renewal.. watch that spike. And, as it was said.. insurance co's are now planning to raise premiums for HID equipped vehicles in the NE. So, whos making $ on this. Everyone else but you. Thieves sell them for whatever and it costs them nothing. Body shop owners and dealers getting paid for the work. Insurance raising your rates and soon your premiums and lastly... Nissan! Making the ultimate killing selling HID to the dealers.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by CCNY

They need to separate the volt converter from the bulb or make that flimsy tab out of metal instead of plastic.
BINGO

Just renewed my insurance... same as last year, even though I cost them 10k!!!

Take my advice...

If you don't currently own a 2002-2003 Maxima... STAY AWAY (two that's 2 of my neighbors have gotten rid of theirs, and got mugged on the trade-in)!!!!

If you do own one.... follow the advice on my signature, get an aftermarket alarm, and the lowest deductible on your Comprehensive coverage possible.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:19 PM

A recent letter I wrote to Nissan

I have had the misfortune of having my Xenon HID Headlights ripped out of my car for the THIRD time now. I wrote Nissan's Consumer Affairs department a letter attesting to the first theft to no avail. I now implore Nissan to assist its loyal customers with some form of relief. Does Nissan have, or plan to develop any sort of protection against this onslaught afflicting its FLAGSHIP, the Maxima?

I fear my insurance company will drop me due to their expenses attributable to my incidents, not to mention that I have now paid $1,500 in deductibles due to my three thefts. Had I known two years ago what I was going to be in for, I would not have purchased this vehicle. If you would like to keep this loyal customer, I suggest that Nissan engage its talented engineers in development of a deterrent for these HID thefts.

I have seen the revised hoodlocking mechanism available at Nissan dealerships. However, my thefts did not entail the opening of the hood. The HID housing was literally ripped out of its position by sheer force leaving only the broken PLASTIC TABS behind. Please tell me that Nissan has something else in their arsenal to deter this sort of vandalism.

I trust someone will contact me with an update regarding this matter.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:22 PM

I have yet to hear anyone in the Chicago area talk about this problem. Whats the deal, not that I want mine stolen, but why is the East Coast the ones with such a problem. This is BS about the insurance rates, State Farm keeps taking benefits from me and charging me more. So whats going on, are they cutting or breaking the supports for the light or what, how are they getting the lights. I'm on my second passenger light, but then my dealer snapped the arms. I'm gonna tinker with this, I have a few ideas. Chris
Old 03-23-2003, 09:23 PM

Nissan's Deepest Regrets

Dear Mr. Loser,

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

We at Nissan are distressed to learn of the theft of your vehicle's Xenon HID headlights. It is most unfortunate whenever thieves or vandals damage someone else's property, particularly their vehicle. Nissan is proud of the engineering that has gone into producing your Maxima. However, as you are undoubtedly also aware, Nissan vehicles are not unique in being equipped with new generation Xenon HID headlight technology. Nor are Nissan vehicles the only target of thieves and vandals. However, because Nissan takes its commitment to its customers and its product quality very seriously, we have carefully investigated this situation. We have concluded that there are no defects in the materials or workmanship related to your vehicle's Xenon HID headlights and related components, and that this situation is therefore due to the criminal conduct of others.

Nonetheless, please be assured that your concern is very important to Nissan North America, Inc., and its dealerships. Accordingly, to aid the New York Police Department's efforts to curb this type of criminal conduct, we have supplied the police with a number of our Xenon HID headlights for their use in conducting sting operations. To date, the New York Police Department (NYPD) has made several arrests because of these operations. In addition, Nissan has developed an anti-theft kit which customers may purchase to help discourage theft of their Xenon HID headlights. This kit is part number 65601-6Y300.

Thank you very much for bringing your concern to our attention. If you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to email us.

Sincerely,

Asli
National Consumer Affairs
Old 03-23-2003, 09:29 PM

Why then must we pay for their mistake? -
Our cars are Targets because of a design flaw that makes the headlights so easy to steal. Nissan knows about the flaw, and has acknowldged that there is a problem by offering the anti-theft kit.

Why do new models leave Dealerships without having the kit installed? -
Every new car that leaves the lot, has a known flaw that wasn't fixed.

Why must we pay more to insure our cars? -
Each time we repair, and re-repair, our cars we must pay a deductable. We also risk having our premiums increase because of this.

File a complaint with the NHTSA.
Doing so will help put pressure on Nissan so that they can correct this problem.

I will also look into getting a petition started, and possibly filing a class action suit.

And please don't just accept that "Nissan Won't help". We must be vigilant and take advantage of our rights as consumers.

PS - Thank you for your warm welcome to this site. :thumbup: While I am new to this forum, I am not new to this type of community. (I'm a regular over at FocalJet.com)
Old 03-23-2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Ozmotear
File a complaint with the NHTSA.
Doing so will help put pressure on Nissan so that they can correct this problem.

I just posted my complaint... I urge others to do the same.

Knowledge is power, and the fact that so many on this board were not aware of this is scary!!
Old 03-23-2003, 11:09 PM

Personally, I would really refrain from calling the plastic tabs a design flaw....BMW, MB, Audi, Acura and Lexus have all integrated HIDs using the plastic housing with plastic tabs...

The design flaw is actually an "oversight" in how the hood lock or door lock was design...but then again '00 an '01 have the exact same design....

Our cars are hit because WE tend to leave them parked outside...you will rarely see a BMW or Acura with Xenons, or not, parked outside!!!...The solution, hopefully automotive manufacturers will move the ballast away from headlight or make it short once removed from a car that is off...and allow retro fitting this OEM part. To my knowlegde ALL HID equiped cars suffer theft..Audi's S4 was one of the first to suffer this!!!...BADLY!!!...

INDOOR PARKING WITH SECURITY WATCHMEN!!!....

Alternativly, a comfy pillow in the rear seats...and a really BIG BAT!
Old 03-24-2003, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by NizanDrivn

INDOOR PARKING WITH SECURITY WATCHMEN!!!....

I could have added motion activated Patriot Missles, but I felt that might be over-kill...
Old 03-24-2003, 05:51 AM

Hid Theft Kit

I live in New Brunswick, NJ. I have heard about many maxima HID thefts. Luckily, I have still been lucky (bite my tongue). Its prolly cause I have a driveway. In June I will have to park on the street. Does anyone know where I can get one of those HID kits. I am willing to try anything, cause There are lazy , sloppy thieves around here. I am hoping the will do the job.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:44 AM

DO NOT GET TO LAXED!!!...

This is how I was hit. Fortunately, and hopefully, you won't have to go through the stomach wrenching ordeal.

My suggestions to you:
(1) DO NOT THINK THE KIT WILL HELP. It may deter, but if you get one of those punks with a crow bar...need I say more....

(2) As the weather warms up, PARK INDOORS!!!....

I could have added motion activated Patriot Missles, but I felt that might be over-kill...
(3) I've found that a blow horn, a siren and a midget in the back seat work best...

Seriously though....heed to (1) and (2)....trust me you'll enjoy movies a lot better...
Old 03-24-2003, 06:58 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by 02VQ35
I have yet to hear anyone in the Chicago area talk about this problem. Whats the deal, not that I want mine stolen, but why is the East Coast the ones with such a problem. This is BS about the insurance rates, State Farm keeps taking benefits from me and charging me more. So whats going on, are they cutting or breaking the supports for the light or what, how are they getting the lights. I'm on my second passenger light, but then my dealer snapped the arms. I'm gonna tinker with this, I have a few ideas. Chris
So far, so good in Chicago. Also, I go through some pretty bad areas of the city with the vehicle and nothing happens.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by NizanDrivn
DO NOT GET TO LAXED!!!...
Exactly right. Standing around getings nothing accomplished.

Just because it hasn't happend to you, or isn't happening in your area, doesn't mean it won't happen. As a community of Maxima Enthusiasts we need to join together and look out for our fellow man.

I have emailed the site administrator and asked permission to start a petition reguarding HID theft. Keep your eyes peeled, and be sure to sign it if/when it is posted.

Also - See my first thread about contacting the NHTSA so that you can file a complaint.

Thank You.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:03 AM

Trust me, petioning Nissan won't get Maxima owners much, save an anti-theft kit...and then stolen headlights...Since Nissan "claims" there is a solution, and your life isn't a risk (save for shock -> comatose), it is really up to the owners to look after the car. Best we can do is reduce risk so our insurance premiums don't flatline.

Personally, I'm gonna wait a year or three, wait for the technology to hit manufacturers (like airbags and radios), then invest in the G35... And keep it locked up!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:05 AM

why dont u guys use a garage?i mean cars started getting the HIDs stolen i put mine in the garage. no one can get in there.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by max...to the ma
why dont u guys use a garage?i mean cars started getting the HIDs stolen i put mine in the garage. no one can get in there.
I live in a three family apartment, we don't have a garage or driveway, and most people that live in urban areas are in the same situation. Even if I did, that wouldn't change the situation. I would eventually leave my garage and go shopping, to the movies, etc. The Maxima is a target anywhere, not just parked infront of your house. I've read about incidents, on this site, where people have had their headlights stolen multiple times while parked in their own driveway.

Being defensive is a great way to prevent theft, but reason we have to be is because of an acknowledged defect. We must take the offensive and put pressure on Nissan to correct this mistake.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had my head lights stolen twice as well. I'm quite paranoid about this..
Old 03-24-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Ozmotear
[B]

I would eventually leave my garage and go shopping, to the movies, etc. The Maxima is a target anywhere, not just parked infront of your house. I've read about incidents, on this site, where people have had their headlights stolen multiple times while parked in their own driveway.
That's why I tell my wife "tuck and roll sweetie, I'm going into a holding pattern" whenever we got to the supermarket r mall...

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, DON'T BE PREDICTABLE WHERE YOU PARK THE CAR. WHEN OUT, PARK WHERE PEOPLE WALK BY, TRY TO PARK FASCIA OUT...
Old 03-25-2003, 12:09 PM

550+ Views in 2 days. Judging by that number, there are more than just a few people that have issue with HID theft.

Please don't just read through this thread. File a complaint with the NHTSA, come back here, and post your support. Keep bumping this topic to the top.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:36 PM

While I haven't heard of any such problems in Toronto, it really sucks that it's happening to you NY/NJ guys. I support any petition or movements for this cause.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:18 PM

Petition was approved by the Site Admin.

I'll have it posted after the database is moved to the new server.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:15 PM

TTT

File those complaints... a lawsuit won't happen without them.

The Website is down at the moment, so save the link.