5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Hmm.. I think my coil packs could have gone.. It sounds like it going by these symptoms..

- I loss about 100miles /tank of gas
- Rough Idle after stopping at a light
- Car has no more pull even though I rev the sh@t outta the car. Boost is gone too
- Black smoke coming out of tailpipe

What do you this sounds like?

And before you ask if I got a cel I can't tell by my cel light. It's always on since I still have the auto ecu after my 5spd conversion.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
...And before you ask if I got a cel I can't tell by my cel light. It's always on since I still have the auto ecu after my 5spd conversion.
Should still be able to pull the codes and see if there is a new one. But...based on your explaination..seems like you are on the correct course.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:16 AM

Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Hmm.. I think my coil packs could have gone.. It sounds like it going by these symptoms..

- I loss about 100miles /tank of gas
- Rough Idle after stopping at a light
- Car has no more pull even though I rev the sh@t outta the car. Boost is gone too
- Black smoke coming out of tailpipe

What do you this sounds like?

And before you ask if I got a cel I can't tell by my cel light. It's always on since I still have the auto ecu after my 5spd conversion.
You converted your auto to 5spd!!???
Old 03-25-2003, 09:09 AM

Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Originally posted by Maxman2000

You converted your auto to 5spd!!???
Yeap.. First 5thgen 5spd GLE
Old 03-25-2003, 09:14 AM

Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Originally posted by Colonel

Should still be able to pull the codes and see if there is a new one. But...based on your explaination..seems like you are on the correct course.
The car drives fine.. It's just that there is no power at all. I can redline 1st and 2nd gear and the car doesn't even pull at all.. You can't even feel the boost at all.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

The car drives fine.. It's just that there is no power at all. I can redline 1st and 2nd gear and the car doesn't even pull at all.. You can't even feel the boost at all.
well, the poor mans method (I love them ) is to remove 1 coil at a time and see if the car stays the same or gets worse. Yes, time consuming.

The fact that you can go over 2500 should mean that the MAF is ok. But on my Probe, somewhat of what you say (Bad gas mileage, fumes) kinda also point to a bad O2.

You have a new clutch system, could it be slipping? But that would not account for the bad gas mileage...hmmmm.

See if you can get an Autozone to pull codes for ya for free.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

well, the poor mans method (I love them ) is to remove 1 coil at a time and see if the car stays the same or gets worse. Yes, time consuming.

The fact that you can go over 2500 should mean that the MAF is ok. But on my Probe, somewhat of what you say (Bad gas mileage, fumes) kinda also point to a bad O2.

You have a new clutch system, could it be slipping? But that would not account for the bad gas mileage...hmmmm.

It can't be the clutch because the car pulls normal for a 5thgen.. But I'm boosted pushing 300whp.. And all of a sudden it feel like 180hp.. I seriously loss some power.. Weird.. I'm gonna have it checked out on Fri.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Yeap.. First 5thgen 5spd GLE
and it is sweeter than sweet to look at. Danny, thanks for the billet adapter and sorry to hear about your troubles. Cant offer you much help in that area. As you noticed I had to call you twice just to install the Injen.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:46 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

I agree with Colonel. This is what I would do to find the coil pack problem. But all your symptons sound like a coil pack or possibly a maf.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

I agree with Colonel. This is what I would do to find the coil pack problem. But all your symptons sound like a coil pack or possibly a maf.
I doubt it's a maf cuz I can still rev redline in all my gears and it's fine.. It just doesn't have the pull like I used to have and I'm boosted too. I think it is the coilpacks. I know they go bad all the time. More often on boosted cars too..
Old 03-25-2003, 01:54 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

I doubt it's a maf cuz I can still rev redline in all my gears and it's fine.. It just doesn't have the pull like I used to have and I'm boosted too. I think it is the coilpacks. I know they go bad all the time. More often on boosted cars too..
Know anyone who has the same model and year as your car that you can swap coilpacks from to see?

Old 03-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Got Bent?

First and foremost, you need to get your codes read... Pull your plugs as well since they may be fouled...
Old 03-25-2003, 02:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does This Sound Like Bad Coil Pack?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Know anyone who has the same model and year as your car that you can swap coilpacks from to see?
I'm gonna go see Jeff @ Max Tuning on Fri so we'll see.. He has some spare coils that we can test with.. But I won't know till Fri when I pull the codes if there are any..