5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VLSD in 2001 AE - is it working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 06:49 PM

I have mentioned this before and it continues to **** me off so I am bringing it up again.

I know the 2001 AE was supposed to have a viscous limited slip differential but for some reason the dang tires continue to slip and spin in the rain even without WOT launches. Maybe I am just trying to get used to a new car but it seems to me that the wheels spin too easily and for too long.

Coming out of a hard turn and trying to keep the revs up produces wheel spin from the inside wheel. This just kills my corner exit speed.

Starting off from a dead stop on a rain slicked road causes one or both wheels to spin until I release the throttle. I am no where near to WOT when this occurs.

Anyone else having similar problems? Is the system operating as designed?

I thought VLSD was supposed to prevent both tires from breaking loose and prevent a single tire from spinning for more than a second or two.
Old 01-16-2001, 06:57 PM
RBa

Reply!

I don't know about the AE model but I have the TCS option in my car and I've faced similar problems in rain & snow. I think it's a waste to get this option. It doesn't help much except slow down your car.
This is only a guess but Maybe your press the gas a little too hard. Try easing it alittle!
Old 01-16-2001, 07:11 PM

AE, no problem

A lot of my AE’s now 5,000 miles have come on wet surfaces, either rain or snow or iciness. I haven’t had a single problem with wheel spin at any speed, or taking turns. It’s been solid as a rock. I’ve only spun the wheels once and that was because I WOT-ed it from a dead standstill. (Wanted to see if they would spin at all…they did.)

Maybe you should get yours checked out… sounds like something isn’t quite right.

I have an Auto without traction control, if it helps.
Old 01-16-2001, 09:15 PM

Re: AE, no problem

I have auto SE (2k), and have only slipped once or twice on ice... Not much in terms of wet road (maybe once)... Perhaps there is something wrong... (heavy shoes?? :-)

-Tom

Originally posted by Adboy
A lot of my AE’s now 5,000 miles have come on wet surfaces, either rain or snow or iciness. I haven’t had a single problem with wheel spin at any speed, or taking turns. It’s been solid as a rock. I’ve only spun the wheels once and that was because I WOT-ed it from a dead standstill. (Wanted to see if they would spin at all…they did.)

Maybe you should get yours checked out… sounds like something isn’t quite right.

I have an Auto without traction control, if it helps.
Old 01-16-2001, 09:44 PM

Re: Re: AE, no problem

Originally posted by tomz17
Perhaps there is something wrong... (heavy shoes?? :-)

-Tom

[/I][/QUOTE]

hmmm, could be those concrete galoshes I wear.

Maybe that is the reason why all of the other vehicles are small dots in the rear view mirror seconds after the light turns green.

Doesn't feel like there is anything mechanically wrong. I just wonder how this system is supposed to behave.
For some reason I think it should save my *** when I jump on the gas. Ain't that what all this newfangled computer junk is supposed to do?

Old 01-16-2001, 09:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: AE, no problem

Maybe that is the reason why all of the other vehicles are small dots in the rear view mirror seconds after the light turns green.

Doesn't feel like there is anything mechanically wrong. I just wonder how this system is supposed to behave.
For some reason I think it should save my *** when I jump on the gas. Ain't that what all this newfangled computer junk is supposed to do?

From my experience, the quality of your tires would have much more to do with your particular situation... Some here have expressed concern over the quality of the stock Potenzas... Especially in wet conditions!!!

-Tom
Old 01-16-2001, 10:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: AE, no problem

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tomz17
[I]

From my experience, the quality of your tires would have much more to do with your particular situation... Some here have expressed concern over the quality of the stock Potenzas... Especially in wet conditions!!!

-Tom
Yeah, I've noticed those complaints. The tires look nice and ride without a whole lot of road noise so I am not necessarily unhappy with them.
I just bumped the pressure up to 33psi to see if it helps or hurts the situation.

Of course it doesn't help that since the day I went to look at the car it has done nothing but rain in Austin. I have washed it twice since since 10/7/00 and it has rained within 2 days of each washing plus enough days in between that you can't even think of washing a car. Kinda strange for this area.

My wife went out to say goodnight to the car and came back in complaining about how dirty it is.
Old 01-16-2001, 11:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 98 I30T has a 5spd with LSD and traction Cntr,

I do notice a improvement over my 95 Max which pealed out very easly,it seems it still peels out the same in the begining but corrects it's self so the tires stop spining after a few seconds.It's really nothin special though.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:09 AM
jwall

Re: Re: Re: AE, no problem

Originally posted by mike_bresnahan

Originally posted by tomz17
Perhaps there is something wrong... (heavy shoes?? :-)

-Tom

[/I][/QUOTE]

VLSD does not have anything to do with traction control
or ESP. A limited slip differential simply transfers
power from the wheel that slips to the wheel that has
traction. It is not a locked differential therefore it
is possible to have 1 wheel chirp for a brief momemt
before the power is transfered to the wheel with
traction.Obviously, with enough power, both wheels will
spin. VLSD is not computer controlled.

Old 01-17-2001, 10:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

You don't understand. VLSD will HELP you w/ traction. Not 100% prevent it. A wot though a turn even w/ a 100% locked differential will produce wheelspin. Nissan VLSDs only go to about 20% lock anyway.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:30 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Jeff-

Are you saying that the wheel that's spinning will only achieve approximately 20% lock? If that's the case, then I'm not gonna bother trying to find a used I30 5 speed. I'd be better served by just buying a set of Nitto drags for the track. I get lots of two wheel spining at the track, but my left tire does spin a bit more.

Dave
Old 01-17-2001, 12:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Dave B. Yep from what I understand it's about 20%. I30 and 2000 maximas could be different but I've never seen anything diff. Nature of the viscous beast I think. I you can get a deal on a vlsd tranny, I would still do it. I think the VLSD is the reason the SERs run so well at the track. 20% is alot more than 0%!

Let me rephrase the above. There is a 20% transfer of power from one side to another. Not bad.
Old 01-17-2001, 03:57 PM

I think......

but don't quote me.....that a vsld will transfer more like 30% to the other wheel. That should be enough to help stop most of the spin and really haul *** off the line. That being said.....a 6K clutch drop will spin the wheels all day