5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen Max vs 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 11:11 PM
RBa

Has anyone raced with an older model yet? What were the results?
Old 01-17-2001, 01:33 AM

Well, it seems to depend on which forum you visit. the 4th gen forum seems to THINK they are faster then us 5th gens, and the 5th gens seems to KNOW they are faster then the 4th gens. (notice I used the word "know")
Old 01-17-2001, 02:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hehehe...

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
Well, it seems to depend on which forum you visit. the 4th gen forum seems to THINK they are faster then us 5th gens, and the 5th gens seems to KNOW they are faster then the 4th gens. (notice I used the word "know")
you know...i'd really have to say it really depends on the driver..
i mean, all our cars are really similar as far as the equipments go...same stillen or JWT or PR CAI intakes...same stillen or cattman Y-pipe...and etc..

so, i guess it all comes down to three factors..[list=A][*]The supercharger[*]The tranny(auto vs. stick)[*]The driver skill[/list=A]

Old 01-19-2001, 02:50 PM

raced an older model GLE

I owned a 99 GXE and had a HKS intake and GREDDY exhaust before i was run over by the riverside police dept. and then i got the 2001 SE MAXIMA. And boy do i notice a difference in the cars. The old one with all the mods does not feel as fast as my NEW MAXIMA and it had some mods. Even though the new 2001 is heavier, it has more torque and hp and is way more stable and has a more rigid frame then the old one. Well as far as speeds go, there was a 97-99 model(4th GEN) maxima tailing me on the 60 freeway, so i pulled into the next lane, to let him pass, put he pulled behind me again, and then he pulled into the lane next to me. We were goin about the same speed, then he started to speed up, thats when he hit the small hill that comes after the 57 freeway, i started pulling away from him easily, but then he must have stepped on it, cuz he started to catch up, there are many turns and twists on this incline as well, but we were goin around 100 and then the 4th generation maxima started lagging on the turns and couldn't keep up, and after a while i was a good 3oo to 4oo feet in front of him. But other than that i haven't raced an older maxima.
Old 01-19-2001, 03:38 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Jane97SE vs. Y2KevSE

Her: 97 Supercharged Max
Him: 00 N/A Max

Time: Evening

Event: We were rolling at the same speed and talking to each other on the cell. I told her on the count of three let's go. 1... 2... 3! We both take off! You can hear her tires spinning! Woohoo!!! 10 mph... 15 mph... 20 mph... her tires grab and she takes off. I put on my hazards and slow down... enjoying the victory.

She does a ricer flyby and passes me... what a sore loser!
Old 01-19-2001, 04:07 PM

The 5th Gen SE is rated by Nissian at 143 mph. Nuf said
Old 01-19-2001, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Jane97SE vs. Y2KevSE

Event: We were rolling at the same speed and talking to each other on the cell. I told her on the count of three let's go. 1... 2... 3! We both take off! You can hear her tires spinning! Woohoo!!! 10 mph... 15 mph... 20 mph... her tires grab and she takes off. I put on my hazards and slow down... enjoying the victory.

You beat Jane's supercharged Max? Hm...did she give you a head start? Maybe you were counting...1...2........................3(after your head start)
j/k!
Old 01-19-2001, 07:41 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Jane97SE vs. Y2KevSE

LOL! Are we telling a little fib now? You're hoping that I won't check this forum and respond, huh?
Old 01-19-2001, 07:46 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Jane97SE
LOL! Are we telling a little fib now? You're hoping that I won't check this forum and respond, huh?
Sore loser...

\
Wwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 01-19-2001, 08:48 PM

Jane97SE vs. Y2KevSE

I fully believe Kev got this roadkill... assuming he called the race as soon as her tires grabbed!
Old 01-19-2001, 10:27 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by punkdork
I fully believe Kev got this roadkill... assuming he called the race as soon as her tires grabbed!
I never said I'd race over 20 mph... have to stay within the speed limit, right? Not my fault she has so much power.
Old 01-19-2001, 10:41 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by DeTrini
The 4th gen Max is rated by Nissan at 142mph. Nuf said for a car that supposedly has 32 less hp

BTW, I make more torque than MadMAx's 14.4 second 5th gen.

Dave
Old 01-20-2001, 06:32 AM

Look at that evern they admit it. 5th rule
Old 01-20-2001, 07:54 AM

4 th Gen VS 5 th gen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RBa
[I]Has anyone raced with an older model yet? What were the results?

Hey guys, let me put it that way and perhaps we can close the loops. I owned an Se 98 auto no mods, I sold it after I bough a 2001 20 th auto ( I know... I should have a stick but...that'll be for the 2004 model ) stock for stock, auto vs auto or stick vs stick unless your a really bad driver, the 5 th gen will kill the 4 th gen. I did the run many times and the 5 th gen was faster.

I know many of you have a different story to tell, but if you are really honest with yourself and us, do the real test, you'll come to the same conclusion, and the 6 th gen will be faster than the 5 th gen.

Have a nice one.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:23 AM

I raced car with no name and lost to him from a dead

stop every time, I could not get a good launch, his car has almost all the NA mods possible except the ECU. He has a UDP, CAI, RT CAT, Exhaust, Auto...Well He ran a 15.7 at the track with stock 16 tires, and I ran 15.15 (5spd)stock. So go figure.
Old 01-20-2001, 11:57 AM

2000 5 spd. SE vs. 1999 5 spd SE

this race put to rest any doubts i had about the 5th gen being faster than the 4th. He even got a jump on me and I still beat him. The 4th gen just can't match the top end of the 5th. NUFF SAID.
Old 01-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Lets get technical here fellas. Here are the best of the best:

Jeff K's 1995 Max ran 14.36@96mph with a 2.1 60 foot without power shifting. Mods were y-pipe, CAI, catback, ECU.

MaddMax's 2000 SE ran a 14.38@96mph with a 2.1 60 foot WITH power shifting. Mods are y-pipe and CAI.

Both cars were/are raced on sea level tracks and their 60 foots are the same. To me, it looks as if both models are the same in 1/4 mile. How can you guys sit there and say the 5th gen is significantly quicker than the 4th gen? I got consistent 14.9-15.0s@94-96mph on a track at 1200 feet above sea level, with blown struts all around, worthless 2.4 60 foots, and no powershifting. My only mods were a HKS intake, B-pipe, and y-pipe at the time. I've seen two 5 speed 5th gens run at KCIR and they were in the 15.3-15.4 range at 92mph. I've beat every 5th gen I've faced on the streets.

It all depends on who you ask about which car is quicker. Stock for stock, the 5th gen maybe a tad quicker. After mods, it's a toss up.

Dave
Old 01-20-2001, 12:44 PM

Agreed. All this 4th vs 5th gen crap is pointless. The 5th gens obviously make more absolute power, slightly less mid range torque, and are also heavier. It seems it all evens out from a standing start. I would figure a 5th gens only real advantage to be a highway speed roll on.
Old 01-20-2001, 02:54 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by madmax2k
Agreed. All this 4th vs 5th gen crap is pointless. The 5th gens obviously make more absolute power, slightly less mid range torque, and are also heavier. It seems it all evens out from a standing start. I would figure a 5th gens only real advantage to be a highway speed roll on.
Yep, from a highway roll on, I'd have to say the 5th gen will slowly pull with it's extra topend power.

In a 1/4 mile drag race, it's a toss up.

Dave
Old 01-20-2001, 06:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
Originally posted by DeTrini
The 4th gen Max is rated by Nissan at 142mph. Nuf said for a car that supposedly has 32 less hp

Dave
If you didn't notice the astrik next to that number when nissan publishes it, it says electronically limited. That means it can go faster than 143, just the computer will not let it...unless you reprogram it without the speed limiter.
Old 01-20-2001, 10:18 PM

Dave [/I]
Yep...got me beat in peak torque by 2 ft lb But, Ill take the 25 hp advantage in exchange. Sounds like a fair deal to us 5th gens!

I am suspicious that Mad Max is now making more power and am going to redyno to check this out. Ive switched to synthetic oil (5W-30) and Redline trans fluid. Im guessing I may have picked up a few fwhp. It sure feels like it.

Ill report the results.
Old 01-20-2001, 10:34 PM

hmmmm...

i think Cheston's 97 is faster than mine..
both 5 speed, but he has more mods...ECU, exhaust, and i think maybe a pulley?...which i don't have...

Old 01-20-2001, 10:56 PM

Yeah in your dreams

Jane97SE vs. Y2KevSE

You to funny... You beat a Supercharged 4th generation! You must have had a hell of a head start.. A supercharged 4th is usually putting down 286hp when tuned nicely.. Aint no way a stock maxima would be that even if it is a 5th.. But if it was a race when both cars are stock and same models, A 5th generation would win hands down..I had test drove the 2000SE, and that has more power then my 97SE..
Old 01-20-2001, 11:39 PM

dave, as you said, jeff k's 95 max has a catback and a chip whereas mad max's doesn't...they both run very similar times at the track...i'll give you the fact that mad max does power shifting but face facts...a full catback exhaust (not counting y-pipe) should add about 5-8 fwhp (8 is what the hks system runs) and a chip should add around 20-30 fwhp...powershifting or not, jeff k's max has more power and less weight...lets see if mad max puts those mods on and doesn't powershift...when we compare 4th to 5th gen, we need to compare evenly...

for example...i can kill any stock civic...any of them (except the japanese type-r) but if the civic has a lot of mods, he can kick my *** (most likely)...if we compare a 4th gen w/ y-pipe then we must compare it to a 5th gen w/ only y-pipe...until we do this, we cannot have accurate results
Old 01-21-2001, 12:01 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Yeah in your dreams

Originally posted by PRPmax
You (<b>referring to me</b>) to funny... You beat a Supercharged 4th generation! You must have had a hell of a head start.. A supercharged 4th is usually putting down 286hp when tuned nicely.. Aint no way a stock maxima would be that even if it is a 5th..
Not my fault she spun and we were only racing until 20 mph.
Old 01-21-2001, 12:16 AM

you call that 'racing'?

Originally posted by PRPmax
You (<b>referring to me</b>) to funny... You beat a Supercharged 4th generation! You must have had a hell of a head start.. A supercharged 4th is usually putting down 286hp when tuned nicely.. Aint no way a stock maxima would be that even if it is a 5th..
Not my fault she spun and we were only racing until 20 mph.
man...that's just a rolling start!
Old 01-21-2001, 12:48 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: you call that 'racing'?

Originally posted by irvine78
man...that's just a rolling start!
Chalk up another roadkill in my book!
Old 01-21-2001, 01:30 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by madmax2k

Dave
Yep...got me beat in peak torque by 2 ft lb But, Ill take the 25 hp advantage in exchange. Sounds like a fair deal to us 5th gens!

I am suspicious that Mad Max is now making more power and am going to redyno to check this out. Ive switched to synthetic oil (5W-30) and Redline trans fluid. Im guessing I may have picked up a few fwhp. It sure feels like it.

Ill report the results. [/I]
Yeah, don't remind me about your hp advantage

Dave
Old 01-21-2001, 01:38 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Zach-

The JWT ECU Jeff was running gained him very little hp and tq. It was more like 8 fwhp and 8 ft/lbs of torque with no gains at all on the topend. His Max made something like 183 fwhp and 200 ft/lbs of torque if I remember right.

A catback on a 5th gen will do very little. You guys have superior muffler and a bigger diameter B-pipe. I think it would be foolish to buy a catback for a 5th gen. Sure, SCC's 5th gen Max made 8 fwhp, BUT this SCC we are talking about. They aren't a very reliable source and remember that HKS wants publicity. They aren't gonna show a loss on the dyno. On any given day, a dyno can register a 4-5% difference in readings. You also don't know if the VQ had more break-in mileage between dynos. SCC is also the same mag that got a 15.3@91 mph out of the same Max. Hmmmmmm......Russ swears all 5th gens run 14.7s.

Dave
Old 01-21-2001, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
lets see if mad max puts those mods on and doesn't powershift...when we compare 4th to 5th gen, we need to compare evenly...
OK..Ive run a few times when I was stcok without powershifting and the ET's were so close to the powershifted ones, it was impossible to tell them apart. I powershift now because I figure it cant hurt the ET and the car is under warranty BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
Old 01-21-2001, 06:19 AM

Zach-

A catback on a 5th gen will do very little.
Yep...we proved that down here on the dyno with some tests with NO exhaust after the cat. No loss at all in low end, and a 3 fwhp gain. This was coupled with an ear shattering shriek. Ask Max Gator for the dyno plot.

I think it would be foolish to buy a catback for a 5th gen.
Yep....I wouldnt buy one unless I wanted to change the exhaust tone or look at a fancy tip.

Sure, SCC's 5th gen Max made 8 fwhp, BUT this SCC we are talking about. They aren't a very reliable source and remember that HKS wants publicity. They aren't gonna show a loss on the dyno. On any given day, a dyno can register a 4-5% difference in readings. You also don't know if the VQ had more break-in mileage between dynos. SCC is also the same mag that got a 15.3@91 mph out of the same Max. Hmmmmmm......Russ swears all 5th gens run 14.7s.

Dave
Well, my experience has been that the Dynojet is quite consistent and accurate. Ive always seen much less than 4-5% variation and Ive made over 100 runs. Its usually less than 1%. Heck, I dynoed Mad Max bone stock at 300 miles on the odometer, then again stock at 10,000 miles almost a year later on the same dynomometer. The runs were within 1 hp of each other.
Old 01-21-2001, 11:34 PM

I disagree, unless the VQ's are different the ECU upgrades provide very good results. Maybe there isn't much to be gained in the topend. Actually his numbers were 186fwhp/205fwtq I think, with massive torque from 3800-5000rpm. I find it strange that no one without an ECU in a 4th gen has come close to his times. IMHO the ECU and Y pipe should be done before anyother mod (minus intake). Hell given the increase in midrange, it should drop the 60ft and 1/8 mile time assuming you have traction.

Zach-

The JWT ECU Jeff was running gained him very little hp and tq. It was more like 8 fwhp and 8 ft/lbs of torque with no gains at all on the topend. His Max made something like 183 fwhp and 200 ft/lbs of torque if I remember right.

Dave
Old 01-22-2001, 05:31 PM

how much is a dyno run? i've always wanted to give it a try but i was thinking its around $100...what is the price range?
Old 01-23-2001, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
how much is a dyno run? i've always wanted to give it a try but i was thinking its around $100...what is the price range?
It depends on the area. It seems up north shops are charging about $100 for 2 or 3 runs! Thats ridiculous! Down here, the going rate is about $50-$60 for 3 runs.

I pay alot less than that as Im friends with the owner of a Dynojet