5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3rd tranny now dying!!!!!!!WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

3rd tranny now dying!!!!!!!WTF?

Ok 1st tranny they found metal shavings in it after slipping problems. 2nd tranny replaced for no reverse in the morning, low pressure. Now 3rd tranny has the exact same problem as second tranny but with a slip from 2nd to 3rd every now and then. I can put it into reverse and nothing till I rev it up in gear.

Any ideas why I am looking for a 4th tranny?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:48 PM

Re: 3rd tranny now dying!!!!!!!WTF?

Originally posted by Maximam
Ok 1st tranny they found metal shavings in it after slipping problems. 2nd tranny replaced for no reverse in the morning, low pressure. Now 3rd tranny has the exact same problem as second tranny but with a slip from 2nd to 3rd every now and then. I can put it into reverse and nothing till I rev it up in gear.

Not sure how many miles you had on the car when the first tranny died but...
I assure you, the 2nd and 3rd trannys were rebuilt, not new. And poorly rebuilt trannys are common. It sounds like this is covered under warrantee?
If you're payin' each time I think the cost to go to a Level10 or NRH is the same as going to a dealer or shop.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:35 PM

Just get a manual.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:12 PM

40k on the first one

50k on the second one

70k on the third one

Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:44 PM

Hmm, couldn't this be covered under the lemon law or someting?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:22 AM

i feel your pain. my tranny was/is still doing the same thing. i keep taking it back to the shop that rebuilt it and they "cannot find anything wrong with the tranny" as they put it. my suggestion is to find a new one or convert to a manual.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:09 AM

are these automatic trannys or 5spd?
Old 04-13-2003, 01:01 PM

automatic trannys of course.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Got Bent?

WTF? 3rd one? Damn. I am at 50k miles and have never had a tranny problem. I got the shift solenoids replaced at 8k and a full tranny flush at 30k. I drive it hard at times, but the one thing I make sure of is to take it easy for the 1 -> 2 shift. Other than that, no problems...

If my tranny does ever die, I am dropping it and putting in a 5 speed VLSD tranny...
Old 04-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

man im sorry to hear about ur trannys. I have a feeling mine is on its way out. 2nd to 3rd is slipping really bad now and its been slipping for a while but of course nissan cant find a problem with it. Im gonna try the dealership one more time when school is over and if they dont wanna fix it then i might have to have it completely rebuilt and beefed up or something, either that or VLSD 5 speed swap....but yeah my tranny fluid is far from red now and the car only has 25k on it . I still kick myself everyday for not getting a 5 speed.

-Steve
Old 04-13-2003, 03:16 PM

yeah well it really sucks when the car seems to be in the tranny shop more than at my house. btw do not rebuild your tranny and try to beef it up, that is what i did and now i have a whole new set of problems. just to let you know.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:46 PM

Do you drive your max hard?? Now that this is mentioned, my auto is slippin when the engine is started cold. Could it also slip because of bad tranny oil???
Old 04-14-2003, 11:24 AM

Re: 3rd tranny now dying!!!!!!!WTF?

Originally posted by Maximam

did the first two tranny rebuild/replace by the same dealer or repair shop?

are they the same tranny and they just rebuild it or it is a different one.

what else they replaced on the previous repairs? solenoid? v-body? or just the tranny? Because you said that they found a lot of metal shavings in the first tranny and the second one died pretty soon after that. It can be possible that they used the same valvebody from the tranny #1 and didnt clean the v-body and the radiator thoroughly.

since you already pass the warranty, I would just get a used one from a junk yard.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:59 PM

yes i drive the car hard, on occasion but not all the time. with an auto there is so many ways to look at it there is no telling sometimes unless you take the whole tranny apart and that costs big$$
Old 04-19-2003, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: 3rd tranny now dying!!!!!!!WTF?

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

what else they replaced on the previous repairs? solenoid? v-body? or just the tranny? Because you said that they found a lot of metal shavings in the first tranny and the second one died pretty soon after that. It can be possible that they used the same valvebody from the tranny #1 and didnt clean the v-body and the radiator thoroughly.

since you already pass the warranty, I would just get a used one from a junk yard.

If it was a rebuild, the either didn't replace or repair these:
-Vb
-Solenoids
-TCM
-Or the tech who did it isn't very good

3th tranny dying sucks man I have my original transmission and at 71,XXX miles, it still doesn't show any signs of going. Thats even after I do 35mph "1" position slams a couple times. I had the TCM replaced at 5,XXX and the solenoids repaired at 35,XXX.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: 3rd tranny now dying!!!!!!!WTF?

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

Good question. I know the solonoid was replaced on the first tranny. Still slipped so when I went in for the TCM they found the shavings and replaced the whole tranny.

The second tranny was the best and never slipped but after 10k miles in the morning and after long periods it would have no reverse gear till I reved it up.

Went in and they said it has low pressure and Nissan recommends replacement. Third tranny now and it slips AND has the low pressure problem. I went to Nissan right after I got this tranny and told the service manager the MAJOR ( a 700rpm rise between shifts) slip between 1st and 2nd. Even took him for a ride. He said it is not bad enough to warrant replacement and told me to complain to Nissan. Called Nissan and got a 100k Silver warrantee out of them.

Now I think it is time to go back in to get the tranny looked at again. I have a slip between 1st to 2nd (part throttle) and 2nd to 3rd at full throttle (like it goes into neutral then slips into 3rd). Also the tranny has no reverse till reved in gear in the morning or long periods of time.