5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealer said Hesitation TSB does not apply to my car..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dealer said Hesitation TSB does not apply to my car..

I took my car to the dealer today and he said that the hesitation TSB does not apply to my car. They said that applied to some of the 2003's that experienced a "severe" hesitation. I know this is BS. I guess I try a different dealer..
Old 04-16-2003, 11:59 AM

Mine is going in tomorrow. I can't wait to hear what they'll tell me...
Old 04-16-2003, 12:00 PM
NT2SHBBY

I called Dave B and asked about the hesitation issue and my MAF, he told me I have a new MAF and because of that, I have an up to date ECU that isn't affected by the hesitation issue.

the Hesitation issue as defined by Dave B and a service manager at a local dealership over here is "lack of power from a dead stop"

my car doesn't exhibit this so I guess I'm fine

Old 04-16-2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
I called Dave B and asked about the hesitation issue and my MAF, he told me I have a new MAF and because of that, I have an up to date ECU that isn't affected by the hesitation issue.

the Hesitation issue as defined by Dave B and a service manager at a local dealership over here is "lack of power from a dead stop"

my car doesn't exhibit this so I guess I'm fine
Huh, that's VERY interesting - and completely different than the description in the TSB. This is the issue I had with my car, which is now largely cured (post-ECU flash).
Old 04-16-2003, 12:34 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Maximax2

Huh, that's VERY interesting - and completely different than the description in the TSB. This is the issue I had with my car, which is now largely cured (post-ECU flash).
Hey I call it like I see it.....this is what they told me, so did your car get cured from the TSB description or the description that I was told?

Old 04-16-2003, 12:56 PM

Hey I call it like I see it.....this is what they told me, so did your car get cured from the TSB description or the description that I was told?
Not questioning what you said, it's just interesting that Dave B et al are viewing it that way since the TSB is written differently. And as you'll read below, maybe Dave is correct.

>>>>>>CORRECTION:

Did it cure the throttle lag I had? In previous posts, I noted that post-ECU flash the lag seemed a lot better, but gave the caveat that we'd had a cool front come through, and this problem is allegedly better in cooler weather. Sure enough, with 80+ outside the the lag is back in full force. Press the gas, and half a second later the car will start to react. Sigh. Still though, not a big problem. <<<<<<<<<<<< END
Old 04-16-2003, 01:01 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Maximax2

Not questioning what you said, it's just interesting that Dave B et al are viewing it that way since the TSB is written differently. And as you'll read below, maybe Dave is correct.

Did it cure the hesitation I had? Well...I'd have to say it's at mostly cured (it's hard to give a definitive answer, because after a while you get used to driving your car so as to minimize negatives). But, while there's still the weird "thud" sensation off the line, which feels like drivetrain lash - it's less pronounced, and I no longer have to be careful to slowly press the gas (or punch it ) to minimize the hesitation.

So it's been positive for me
whatever it is, be it Nissan's inability to communicate properly with the service personnel or be it their inability to write proper english, I don't have hesitation from a dead stop...I have what they called "tranny lag" which they tell me is normal for automatics.

so I dunno dude...totally confuses me, but since my car runs and doesn't stall, I'm a happy camper

Old 04-16-2003, 02:18 PM

Re: Dealer said Hesitation TSB does not apply to my car..

Originally posted by kronnman
I took my car to the dealer today and he said that the hesitation TSB does not apply to my car. They said that applied to some of the 2003's that experienced a "severe" hesitation. I know this is BS. I guess I try a different dealer..
How the in the world could you let that dealer get away with this? It says right on the TSB, the fix applies to both 2K2 and 2K3. At any rate, just bring it somewhere else. They will take care of it for you.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:31 PM

whatever it is, be it Nissan's inability to communicate properly with the service personnel or be it their inability to write proper english, I don't have hesitation from a dead stop...I have what they called "tranny lag" which they tell me is normal for automatics.

so I dunno dude...totally confuses me, but since my car runs and doesn't stall, I'm a happy camper
"Tranny lag" - that's a good one. Funny how my '95 SE auto didn't have it. But they have a name for it now, so it must be normal...

BTW, I'm busting the dealer's chops, not yours
Old 04-17-2003, 05:15 AM

Re: Re: Dealer said Hesitation TSB does not apply to my car..

Originally posted by pjonkheer

How the in the world could you let that dealer get away with this?
It's not worth it to get into a pi$$ing contest with the dealer over this. I'll just take it to another dealer. I will find one that will do this TSB for me. No big deal.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:46 AM

SUCCESS!!!

Service Department just called me...

They've ordered a new MAF for me per the TSB. They test drove the vehicle and felt the hesitation. Here's the best part...when they did the test drive, they heard a knock from my front suspension. They looked in their files and saw that I complained about it at the last service interval. Upon close inspection, they noticed the "end cap" on my sway bar was busted and they've ordered a new one for me. They even apologized for missing it the first time.