5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hesitation TSB harm or good???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 10:15 PM
mjg

hesitation TSB harm or good???

Hey, I'm sorry if this was killed already. I'm of the opinion don't fix it if it isn't broken... So I am sort of reluctant to bring my car in and ***** at them, and of course take off my intake and all that. Is this TSB really worth it? Can i get a consensus of how many people had a succesfull fix and tell me if I should even bother?
Old 04-21-2003, 03:35 AM

Yes this has been beaten to death. Only 1 person had problems with it and the tech had problems from the get go. Everyone else hasn't had a problem. I just paid $37 for the half hour's work involved instead of taking off my intake, putting the stock intake back on, taking it off and putting the FrankenCar back on. $37 was well worth the headache for me.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:19 PM
10e

Don't worry about it

So far,

A tonne of people here and on Altimas.net have had the TSB done to their cars and all are very happy.

If you notice a hesitation, do it, if not, don't worry about it.

The one problem with the upgrade sounded more like a tech. problem than a car problem. Nissan service manuals and procedures have a lot of safeguards built in, and probably the guy didn't follow them completely.

10e
Old 04-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Sanduguero

Re: Don't worry about it

i am SUPER Happy!!!! it feels like i have a turbo!! lol

Is worth every cent!

Playero
Old 04-22-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Virus
Yes this has been beaten to death. Only 1 person had problems with it and the tech had problems from the get go. Everyone else hasn't had a problem. I just paid $37 for the half hour's work involved instead of taking off my intake, putting the stock intake back on, taking it off and putting the FrankenCar back on. $37 was well worth the headache for me.

Tried to get mine done today and the dealer said there were no codes so he could'nt perform the TSB. So I asked him what it would cost to flash the ecu and MAF. He told me $600.00 . WTF? Where did you go and what was done that cost you $37.00??
Old 04-22-2003, 07:28 PM

TSB????
Old 04-22-2003, 07:33 PM

You don't have to throw a code to get this done. Take it to them again and again and again and again with the same problem. You can also talk to Nissan North America and tell them that you are aware of the TSB, your car is exhibiting the symptoms and the dealership won't help you unless you throw codes. You can find a different dealership. $600 if for a new MAF. $30+ dollars is for the 1/2 hour labor involved in reprogramming the ECU. The TSB states that it takes a 1/2 hour labor for the update. Don't ever go to the dealer for something like this without being well versed in what the TSB is.

I went to Browns Nissan in Fairfax VA.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:05 PM

So you just had the ECU flashed? Why did'nt you get the MAF? I'm just trying to figure out why these guys won't do the job. This is the best dealership I have found so far in my area. Had problems with the others. So I kind of want to stay on good terms so they do a good job on anything they do to the car, but yet, want to tell them off. I don't know . If I keep bringing it back that means my Frankencar won't get any use this summer! Nissan North America, here I come!!
Old 04-22-2003, 08:05 PM

I had the TSB performed last month. I still notice some lag at times so it wasn't a perfect solution for me. I'm not going to bother with it anymore. I could live with it before and given that they tried it once and it didn't really take, I'm just not inclined to fool with it unless I try a different service dept.

I didn't pay anything for this service. Why are some of you finding yourselves having to pay any charges? I, too, have an aftermarket intake that I didn't do anything with when I took it in and they didn't make any comments about it at all. Some of you getting static about having moved to an aftermarket set-up?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by Maxmann
I had the TSB performed last month. I still notice some lag at times so it wasn't a perfect solution for me. I'm not going to bother with it anymore. I could live with it before and given that they tried it once and it didn't really take, I'm just not inclined to fool with it unless I try a different service dept.

I didn't pay anything for this service. Why are some of you finding yourselves having to pay any charges? I, too, have an aftermarket intake that I didn't do anything with when I took it in and they didn't make any comments about it at all. Some of you getting static about having moved to an aftermarket set-up?
Dude, no offense, but the reason they didn't give you any hassle is probably because they didn't do the update. The reason that I paid $37 to have mine done is that's just a little higher than my hourly salary and my time is more important to me than the $37 and the hassle of switching intakes 2 times.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Virus

Dude, no offense, but the reason they didn't give you any hassle is probably because they didn't do the update. The reason that I paid $37 to have mine done is that's just a little higher than my hourly salary and my time is more important to me than the $37 and the hassle of switching intakes 2 times.
huh? offense at what? I just made a statement...what is it that you don't understand. I am confused by your reply...makes no sense. They did replace the MAF..
Old 04-23-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by jimz02max
So you just had the ECU flashed? Why did'nt you get the MAF? I'm just trying to figure out why these guys won't do the job. This is the best dealership I have found so far in my area. Had problems with the others. So I kind of want to stay on good terms so they do a good job on anything they do to the car, but yet, want to tell them off. I don't know . If I keep bringing it back that means my Frankencar won't get any use this summer! Nissan North America, here I come!!
Make a copy of the TSB and take it with you. There is nothing in the TSB regarding codes or SES. They need to hook up their ConsultII system to the ECU and read the firmware version and compare it to the table included in the TSB write-up. That's all. If after reading the TSB they still give you crap, call Nissan Consumer Affairs. If your car is still under warranty, it should be covered free of charge.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Got Projectors?

I'm still waiting to get mine done. I took it in about a half a week ago and they found that it applied (date and PN and all) but found they didn't have any MAF sensors. They told me they're backordered but they have mine on "Customer Care" so they'll get the first one as soon as it's available. They've been pretty straightforward with me on everything so far, and kept in touch with me on the phone, so I'll just wait till it gets here..can't wait though...lag is more noticeable in warm weather...and when cruising with my friends with M/T's...
Old 04-23-2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Maxman2000
TSB????
What do they exactly do??? Do they just replace the MAF?? I removed my screens..will that affect anything?? My car hesitated a few times on me..and does it a couple times a week. Is it worth for me to do?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:50 PM
10e

NTB03-023

Hey all,

Not all Max's need the MAF replaced, just the ones that are "deemed" early production, so not everyone needs it.

If a tech. tells you the car is not affected without a test drive, talk to the advisor or service manager.

10e
Old 04-24-2003, 05:05 AM
NT2SHBBY

my 03 went in yesterday for the hesitation TSB....dealer told me car threw no codes and he said on his little meter thing, my car is running at optimal performance.....

He said I got the newest ECM or ECU whichever it is.....I am having my Bose HU replaced no questions asked....2 weeks till my new HU comes in baby!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
my 03 went in yesterday for the hesitation TSB....dealer told me car threw no codes and he said on his little meter thing, my car is running at optimal performance.....

He said I got the newest ECM or ECU whichever it is.....I am having my Bose HU replaced no questions asked....2 weeks till my new HU comes in baby!!!
If you feel that your car has the hesitation symptoms report it again. The OBDII (On Board Diag) will not be throwing any codes, this is just a "flash" to your ECU (cars computer). Just my $.02
Old 04-24-2003, 05:57 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Dohcser

If you feel that your car has the hesitation symptoms report it again. The OBDII (On Board Diag) will not be throwing any codes, this is just a "flash" to your ECU (cars computer). Just my $.02
i'm not worried...car runs good

Old 04-26-2003, 11:09 AM
ABS

Originally posted by GimmeTorq

Make a copy of the TSB and take it with you. There is nothing in the TSB regarding codes or SES. They need to hook up their ConsultII system to the ECU and read the firmware version and compare it to the table included in the TSB write-up. That's all. If after reading the TSB they still give you crap, call Nissan Consumer Affairs. If your car is still under warranty, it should be covered free of charge.
I had a problem bringing my car to one dealer and then tried to call Nissan Consumer Affairs to get the issue resolved. Nissan Consumer Affairs literally "fought" me on the phone about authorizing the repair. I told them about the TSB, that I'd been experiencing the problem, etc. The root problem was that the dealer could not replicate the problem on their test drive . . . if the dealer can't replicate the problem, they won't do the work.

I think the best solution is to use the "Power Loss" TSB versus the "Hesistation TSB" since the Power Loss TSB does not have criteria that can be specifically replicated whereas the Hesitation TSB does . . .

I plan to bring my car to another dealer with the "Power Loss" TSB in hand . . .

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2003, 12:20 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by ABS

I had a problem bringing my car to one dealer and then tried to call Nissan Consumer Affairs to get the issue resolved. Nissan Consumer Affairs literally "fought" me on the phone about authorizing the repair. I told them about the TSB, that I'd been experiencing the problem, etc. The root problem was that the dealer could not replicate the problem on their test drive . . . if the dealer can't replicate the problem, they won't do the work.

I think the best solution is to use the "Power Loss" TSB versus the "Hesistation TSB" since the Power Loss TSB does not have criteria that can be specifically replicated whereas the Hesitation TSB does . . .

I plan to bring my car to another dealer with the "Power Loss" TSB in hand . . .

Good luck!
want someone at Nissan Corp to talk to that knows his ****, talk to Hyung Ong (ext 3874)....he is THE MAN, end of story!!

he helped me out alot and he will be more than happy to work with you.

Old 04-26-2003, 03:28 PM
ABS

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

want someone at Nissan Corp to talk to that knows his ****, talk to Hyung Ong (ext 3874)....he is THE MAN, end of story!!

he helped me out alot and he will be more than happy to work with you.
Thanks man!